Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

So close, and yet...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So close, and yet...

A great unveil followed by one down payment, a handful of signatures, and an extensive walk through with the Audi rep, only to then drive home in the old A4. Damn the state and their registration requirements! I'll be back to pick this beauty up tomorrow evening...

It's been a long time coming. We've had our eye on the Q5 for 3+ years. I suppose we can wait another 30.5 hours to drive it home.

More pics to follow.

N
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2014, 07:19 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

What a tease but it'll be really sweet tomorrow. Congrats. Steve
Old 03-30-2014, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i can relate to the "so close, and yet". the day before i picked mine up, my husband's boss (who was there to take delivery of his new Q7) took pics of it and sent the pics to my husband. lol.
as Steve said, tomorrow will be sweet. congratulations! :-)
Old 03-30-2014, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

What didn't you have with you - the title for a trade-in? Must be excruciating! You have my sincere sympathies!
Old 03-30-2014, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nope. Nothing like that. In Massachusetts I can't drive off the lot until the car is registered with plates on it. And because it was a weekend, the dealership can't finalize the vehicle registration on my behalf until Monday morning. It wouldn't have been an issue if my wife and I were trading in a car with MA plates on it (we would have processed a quick transfer online), but we recently moved from California and the Q5 will be our first MA vehicle.

Fewer than 20 hours now...

Originally Posted by Xenonista
What didn't you have with you - the title for a trade-in? Must be excruciating! You have my sincere sympathies!
Old 03-31-2014, 03:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's strange. I've bought several cars in Virginia and Ohio, all on the weekend, and was able to get the plates at the time. My sister just bought a car here in the DC area last weekend on a Saturday afternoon and they were able to connect to the DMV servers to do the registration. I'm assuming MA is set up differently, then.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nathanjbrown
Nope. Nothing like that. In Massachusetts I can't drive off the lot until the car is registered with plates on it. And because it was a weekend, the dealership can't finalize the vehicle registration on my behalf until Monday morning. It wouldn't have been an issue if my wife and I were trading in a car with MA plates on it (we would have processed a quick transfer online), but we recently moved from California and the Q5 will be our first MA vehicle.

Fewer than 20 hours now...
I had a similar case in PA. I was using on old personalized tag that had been expired and I couldn't find my policy number to renew it for the Q. The dealership was awesome and ended up putting a set of their dealer tags on it as long as I promised to bring it back the following day with my own tags.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

In NY dealers have their own DMV office... sort of. They have a stack of new plates, write up a 30 day temporary new car registration sticker, tape it to the windshield lower left, and off you go. The state then issues a new computerized registration & title & mail them to you.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you really want to torture yourself you have to special order the car.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Unlike some other states, the Massachusetts RMV does not issue temporary tags to individuals.

Quick Reply: So close, and yet...