Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Locking doors while leaving car running?

Old 09-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking doors while leaving car running?

It appears that I can't leave my SQ5 running, step out of it & lock the doors, while it's still running. I need to do so when I run in to pick my son up from school, since the dogs are generally in the car with me & I need to leave the A/C running while I go get the kid.

Can anyone confirm or refute my problem, & if that is the case, any ideas on a work-around? I obviously don't want to leave the car unlocked & running & I don't want to shut it off & leave the mutts in there.

FWIW, I came to the SQ5 from a Grand Cherokee that had a remote start feature, so I'd just lock the doors & remote start the car from the key fob. I just assumed that I'd be able to lock this car & leave it running.

On a related note, is there some sort of remote start function from the key fob for the SQ5?
Old 09-26-2013, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it is possible. Maybe open the sunroof when leaving them in there?
Old 09-26-2013, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by smonakey
It appears that I can't leave my SQ5 running, step out of it & lock the doors, while it's still running. I need to do so when I run in to pick my son up from school, since the dogs are generally in the car with me & I need to leave the A/C running while I go get the kid.

Can anyone confirm or refute my problem, & if that is the case, any ideas on a work-around? I obviously don't want to leave the car unlocked & running & I don't want to shut it off & leave the mutts in there.

FWIW, I came to the SQ5 from a Grand Cherokee that had a remote start feature, so I'd just lock the doors & remote start the car from the key fob. I just assumed that I'd be able to lock this car & leave it running.

On a related note, is there some sort of remote start function from the key fob for the SQ5?

Remote start is seldom on a vehicle standard. It's not there but if it was, I am sure you'd know about it.

You can't lock the car with it running. It's something that a car with advanced technology won't allow you to do. Even something as inexpensive as a Corolla wouldn't let you lock the car with the key in the ignition and certainly not while it's running.

I like the sunroof idea.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have Audi Advanced Key use the following procedure:

1) Ensure vehicle is on
2) Set A/C on
3) Engage Park Brake
4) Open driver window
5) Step out with key
6) Close driver door
7) Reach through window
8) Engage door lock
9) Engage window up button
10) Remove arm quickly

When you return to the vehicle remove the physical key from the fob and use it to unlock the driver door.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Greystoke
If you have Audi Advanced Key use the following procedure:

1) Ensure vehicle is on
2) Set A/C on
3) Engage Park Brake
4) Open driver window
5) Step out with key
6) Close driver door
7) Reach through window
8) Engage door lock
9) Engage window up button
10) Remove arm quickly

When you return to the vehicle remove the physical key from the fob and use it to unlock the driver door.
If I step out of the vehicle with the fob, it shuts off. Is the parking brake the piece of the puzzle?
Old 09-26-2013, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Try this...Turn off the car. Press and hold the fan button for several seconds until you see the temp indicator turn back on. After a few more seconds, the fans will start running for awhile before they shut off without the key in the car. (I haven't timed it but it's at least several minutes). The fans will continue to use the residual heat or cool air in the system. It works this way in my 13 A6.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2014 Q5 TDI and have tried all combinations to leave running while locking the doors w/o avail. I used to be able to do this in my 11 BMW 335D.

Perhaps a feature that can be turned on via vagcom ???? ....
Old 09-26-2013, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can't even use the door lock button to lock the doors with the vehicle off if you don't have a key.

you should be able to leave it running, use the fob to lock the doors. The car won't turn off unless you turn it off.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Why bring the dogs then? Puffing is illegal in most states
Old 09-27-2013, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
Why bring the dogs then? Puffing is illegal in most states
we had a similar problem until my wife trained the dogs to pick up the kid. The school complained and so we had to switch to a jeep cherokee

have you thought of just cracking a window open for the dogs? not in a literal sense of course.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Locking doors while leaving car running?