Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Q5/SQ5 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Q5/SQ5 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 266798

Default Locking doors while leaving car running?

It appears that I can't leave my SQ5 running, step out of it & lock the doors, while it's still running. I need to do so when I run in to pick my son up from school, since the dogs are generally in the car with me & I need to leave the A/C running while I go get the kid.

Can anyone confirm or refute my problem, & if that is the case, any ideas on a work-around? I obviously don't want to leave the car unlocked & running & I don't want to shut it off & leave the mutts in there.

FWIW, I came to the SQ5 from a Grand Cherokee that had a remote start feature, so I'd just lock the doors & remote start the car from the key fob. I just assumed that I'd be able to lock this car & leave it running.

On a related note, is there some sort of remote start function from the key fob for the SQ5?
smonakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 248988

I don't think it is possible. Maybe open the sunroof when leaving them in there?
Telate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 173495

Quote:
Originally Posted by smonakey View Post
It appears that I can't leave my SQ5 running, step out of it & lock the doors, while it's still running. I need to do so when I run in to pick my son up from school, since the dogs are generally in the car with me & I need to leave the A/C running while I go get the kid.

Can anyone confirm or refute my problem, & if that is the case, any ideas on a work-around? I obviously don't want to leave the car unlocked & running & I don't want to shut it off & leave the mutts in there.

FWIW, I came to the SQ5 from a Grand Cherokee that had a remote start feature, so I'd just lock the doors & remote start the car from the key fob. I just assumed that I'd be able to lock this car & leave it running.

On a related note, is there some sort of remote start function from the key fob for the SQ5?

Remote start is seldom on a vehicle standard. It's not there but if it was, I am sure you'd know about it.

You can't lock the car with it running. It's something that a car with advanced technology won't allow you to do. Even something as inexpensive as a Corolla wouldn't let you lock the car with the key in the ignition and certainly not while it's running.

I like the sunroof idea.

2014 A5 Cabriolet 2.0T Quattro, Tiptronic, Prestige, Comfort Package, Ash inlays, PIO rear decklid spoiler, S5 mirrors. Brilliant Red - Black interior.

2013 Q5 3.0T Quattro S-line, Premium Plus, 19" wheels, B&O, Navigation, Dark Walnut inlay. Monsoon Gray - black interior, Curt Hitch

(traded) 2012 A5 Cabriolet 2.0T Quattro, Tiptronic, Prestige, Comfort Package, Dark Walnut inlay, Stainless exhaust tips and S5 mirrors. Brilliant Red - Black interior

(traded) 2010 A5 Cabriolet 2.0T Quattro, Tiptronic, Prestige, Comfort Package, Stainless exhaust tips, and S5 mirrors. Brilliant Red - Black interior

JGA5Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 267652

If you have Audi Advanced Key use the following procedure:

1) Ensure vehicle is on
2) Set A/C on
3) Engage Park Brake
4) Open driver window
5) Step out with key
6) Close driver door
7) Reach through window
8) Engage door lock
9) Engage window up button
10) Remove arm quickly

When you return to the vehicle remove the physical key from the fob and use it to unlock the driver door.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 173495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystoke View Post
If you have Audi Advanced Key use the following procedure:

1) Ensure vehicle is on
2) Set A/C on
3) Engage Park Brake
4) Open driver window
5) Step out with key
6) Close driver door
7) Reach through window
8) Engage door lock
9) Engage window up button
10) Remove arm quickly

When you return to the vehicle remove the physical key from the fob and use it to unlock the driver door.
If I step out of the vehicle with the fob, it shuts off. Is the parking brake the piece of the puzzle?

2014 A5 Cabriolet 2.0T Quattro, Tiptronic, Prestige, Comfort Package, Ash inlays, PIO rear decklid spoiler, S5 mirrors. Brilliant Red - Black interior.

2013 Q5 3.0T Quattro S-line, Premium Plus, 19" wheels, B&O, Navigation, Dark Walnut inlay. Monsoon Gray - black interior, Curt Hitch

(traded) 2012 A5 Cabriolet 2.0T Quattro, Tiptronic, Prestige, Comfort Package, Dark Walnut inlay, Stainless exhaust tips and S5 mirrors. Brilliant Red - Black interior

(traded) 2010 A5 Cabriolet 2.0T Quattro, Tiptronic, Prestige, Comfort Package, Stainless exhaust tips, and S5 mirrors. Brilliant Red - Black interior

JGA5Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 22753

Try this...Turn off the car. Press and hold the fan button for several seconds until you see the temp indicator turn back on. After a few more seconds, the fans will start running for awhile before they shut off without the key in the car. (I haven't timed it but it's at least several minutes). The fans will continue to use the residual heat or cool air in the system. It works this way in my 13 A6.

- 2013 A6 3.0T Prestige, Quartz Gray/Black, 19" Sport, Driver Assist, LED headlights,Cold Weather and B&O;
Bridgestone RE970AS tires; XPel Ultimate full front, mirrors and rocker panels, Opti-coat Pro
- 2002 allroad 2.7t - 13y/49K mi and still like new
- 2009 A4 3.2 Prestige w/Nav (sold at 4y/48K mi)
- 2001 A6 2.7t (sold at 8y/98K mi)
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 266738

I have 2014 Q5 TDI and have tried all combinations to leave running while locking the doors w/o avail. I used to be able to do this in my 11 BMW 335D.

Perhaps a feature that can be turned on via vagcom ???? ....

Pedro

2014 Q5 - TDI (ibis white / brown) Sport, Side Assist, Nav

pedser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 167682

you can't even use the door lock button to lock the doors with the vehicle off if you don't have a key.

you should be able to leave it running, use the fob to lock the doors. The car won't turn off unless you turn it off.

09' Audi Q5 3.2 Premium + (Lease Return) 12' Audi Q5 2.0t Premium + 14' Audi Q5 TDi S-Line
09' Ducati Mosnter 696 (Upgraded to) 12' Ducati Monster 796
2013 BMW S1000rr
2010 BMW 335d
2010 VW Jetta TDI

Coolieman1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:48 AM   #9
AudiWorld Expert
Account #: 102

Why bring the dogs then? Puffing is illegal in most states
Old 09-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #10
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 223172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Why bring the dogs then? Puffing is illegal in most states
we had a similar problem until my wife trained the dogs to pick up the kid. The school complained and so we had to switch to a jeep cherokee

have you thought of just cracking a window open for the dogs? not in a literal sense of course.
besyugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2001a6, 27t, audi, car, close, door, itcar, key, open, runing