Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

LED interior light upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 11:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 TDI
I'm with you Kaitlyn - If I could buy just the ones I want instead of the entire package, I'd be more likely to go for $25 for three bulbs - I don't want to do the entire car, just the cargo area. So I think eBay may be the only option...
I cannot say anything about how these bulbs work, as I have not bought mine yet, but I found them through a google search that came back to a post in Audiworld looking for some 5000k HID headlights to replace the Audi factory ones. Anyway, I have talked to the guys a couple times and they really seem like honest guys and seem to stand 100% behind their product. They also respond quickly on FB.

But here is another option...

http://www.krautoled.com/products/au...terior-led-kit

If you hit them up on FB and tell them which bulbs you are wanting to replace they will give you the options they offer if you really do not want to do the whole interior.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with you Kaitlyn - If I could buy just the ones I want instead of the entire package, I'd be more likely to go for $25 for three bulbs - I don't want to do the entire car, just the cargo area. So I think eBay may be the only option...
I have a ton of LEDs that im trying to sell.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I stand corrected - Tunerdome does sell individual bulbs, so if you're not trying to do the entire vehicle you can. I just ordered the three in the cargo area - we'll see how they compare with the stock illumination.

I'll take pictures...
Old 11-08-2013, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll take pictures...
Lots and lots of pictures... no shortage!

Also would be nice to know how "difficult" it was to do...
Old 11-08-2013, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Kaitlyn2004
Is it just me? $130 seems awfully expensive for some LEDs...
They are...
I've done all my vehicles since 2004, some with cheapo and some with more pricey(V-LEDs.com)

I've had better luck in the past with the cheapo's, as I've had far less failures with the cheaper ones... Especially when it came to these newer flat/wedge style bulbs... In which fitment is usually an issue as they are generally all too thick and require you to bend the contacts out a bit...

Having said that, I found that the tunerdomes were perfect on color(across all bulbs) and fitment was the best I've seen yet.. not too thick nor too thin... Albeit, I did have one bulb that made a sizzling noise and die on me... Luckily it was for the glove box...

Time will tell, as well as how they handle the blown bulb... But so far, I give them 4 stars... If they were cheaper then I would give them 5... But after all, it is something like over 15-16 bulbs.. So it's not that bad of a deal really... Of course they are probably sourced from the same place and probably be had cheaper if purchased individually, but then who knows if they are in fact the same bulbs from the same place...
Old 11-15-2013, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default FYI 8% off coupon for Tuner Domes

I am about to order the Tunerdome complete set for the Q5.

http://www.tunerdomes.com/index.php?...&productId=130

While looking online, their facebook page has a coupon for 8% off:
https://www.facebook.com/TunerDomes?v=app_4949752878

Promo Code being:
Latest Coupon code and shameless marketing effort:
tuner2013 for 8% off

This effectively makes the bulbs 120.

Older Similar thread concerning swapping bulbs WITH picture Guide:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...&highlight=led
Old 11-18-2013, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got my cargo lights from TunerDome today and put them in tonight - I'll post some pictures tomorrow and a brief write-up.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mwaarna
I am about to order the Tunerdome complete set for the Q5.

http://www.tunerdomes.com/index.php?...&productId=130

While looking online, their facebook page has a coupon for 8% off:
https://www.facebook.com/TunerDomes?v=app_4949752878

Promo Code being:
Latest Coupon code and shameless marketing effort:
tuner2013 for 8% off

This effectively makes the bulbs 120.

Older Similar thread concerning swapping bulbs WITH picture Guide:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...&highlight=led

That promo code doesn't work anymore. Just tried it.

If anyone has one that does, let me know.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wrcardon
That promo code doesn't work anymore. Just tried it.

If anyone has one that does, let me know.
tuner2013 code still works. I added the bulb set into my cart just now. Clicked view basket copied and pasted the code and cliked apply and it shows the additional 10 dollars off.

Which browser are you using? I just tried in Chrome.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok so as I stated yesterday, got the three LEDs for the cargo area and installed them last night. Installation was very simple, the hardest part was removing the bulb from the socket to install the LED.

Before you jump to the pictures - if you haven't already - they were taken in complete darkness other than the lights provided by the Q5 bulbs. The were taken with a iPhone 4s with no flash so they aren't that great quality-wise, but I'm sure you'll get the idea.

No error codes, no issues after installing them, just brighter light in the cargo area. BTW - the three bulbs were $30, without any kind of discount.

Once you pop out the lens, a small screwdriver works great, you'll see it looks like this - a black inner half that needs to be removed - just pry with the same screw driver and it pops off completely.

With the black cover removed it will look like this - with the original bulb still in place - use a small - very small screwdriver and put pressure on the end of the bulb to pop it out. My fingers were too big to grab the bulb and remove it.

With the LED in place it looks like this

Everything back in place here's the result -
before

after

before

after

Pictures are not modified at all, and as I said they were taken in complete darkness. My interior is black as well, which is one of the reasons I wanted to brighten things up a bit.

As you can see the light is certainly whiter than stock. I'd say at least twice as bright, probably closer to three times brighter. A huge difference? - no, an improvement? certainly. Given the size of the lights, you're not going to get a huge change back here without adding more light sockets.

Is it worth it? In my opinion, it's just what I was looking for, I have more light in the cargo area with a relatively small expense, which is completely reversible, easy to do, with no drawbacks that I see. If you have a question about anything, shoot me a message and I'll help you out - pretty simple though, don't worry about tackling this one.

Quick Reply: LED interior light upgrades