Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Key Fob Door Lock, No Beep from Car (2010)

Old 03-30-2014, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fob Door Lock, No Beep from Car (2010)

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has this issue. I only recently noticed that the sound from the car that usually accompanies locking the doors via the key fob doesn't seem to be working. Or rather, it seems to come and go. It'll go weeks without the beep, and then a few days here and there it will come back.

I know there's is a setting for the central locking sound, which I have confirmed is turned on. I also know that there is a VAG-COM mod to enable the option for non-US cars, but mine is already US (and I did not change anything).

I tried some searching, and found a link to an Audi non-Q5 that suggested to change an alarm battery in the trunk, but I don't think that's quite my case.

So, anyone have any idea?
Old 03-30-2014, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could it possibly be that the trunk latch is not always working properly? Check the lights in the back next time it doesn't sound to see if the tail lights or the bumper lights are on. The other thing it could be is the hood latch. If either one of them is open, the car will lock, but it will not beep.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Telate
Could it possibly be that the trunk latch is not always working properly? Check the lights in the back next time it doesn't sound to see if the tail lights or the bumper lights are on. The other thing it could be is the hood latch. If either one of them is open, the car will lock, but it will not beep.
I think you are onto something with the trunk. I remember opening and closing the trunk the very last time before the beep stopped working (it was working for the few days prior). The tail and bumper lights are on when go to lock the car ( no beep). Should they be?
Old 04-01-2014, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the tail lights on the trunk lid are on, then the latch is working fine. When the lid is open, it switches the tail lights to the bumper.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a similar issue. Be sure to check all four doors to make sure they are locked. I found that the electric lock on my rear driver side door is not working. All other doors will be locked, but not that one.

Audi want's approx. $ 600.00 for a new door lock motor.

I will get it quoted at an independent shop.

For now, in order to open the rear driver side door, you have to reach in and manually open the lever from the inside. The only way to lock the door is to pull off the rubber cap on the door, and turn the yellow locking thingy to locked.

It is a pain to deal with, but since it is just me, I don't have reason to get into the back seat that often, and it just takes an extra few seconds to lock if I manually open the door.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bad Andy
I have a similar issue. Be sure to check all four doors to make sure they are locked. I found that the electric lock on my rear driver side door is not working. All other doors will be locked, but not that one.
Thank you! I found out it was my front driver's side door that wasn't locking. As soon as I use the actual key to lock the door, the beep sounds.

Unfortunately, that means my door has been unlocked for the last however months.

This better be covered under my CPO warranty.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

And of course the door lock starts working as soon as I get to the dealership (not when I started driving to the dealership).

I left it there anyways since the service writer noticed that the door lock motor was louder than usual.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same issue now with my 09 Q5, the driver's side door actuator is quirky. It doesn't lock/unlock with the remote. The button on the inside works and it will automatically lock when I start driving.

Just brought it to the dealer and this is what they quoted:
$160 - diagnostic fee. This is just to look at the car.
$485 - parts
$232 - labor (1.5 hours)

So almost $1k just to replace the lock. Anyone have a door diagram, I think I can do this one myself.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by audibk
I have the same issue now with my 09 Q5, the driver's side door actuator is quirky. It doesn't lock/unlock with the remote. The button on the inside works and it will automatically lock when I start driving.

Just brought it to the dealer and this is what they quoted:
$160 - diagnostic fee. This is just to look at the car.
$485 - parts
$232 - labor (1.5 hours)

So almost $1k just to replace the lock. Anyone have a door diagram, I think I can do this one myself.
You can get a new door lock mechanism off ebay and fit it yourself. $120 http://www.ebay.com/itm/221662268040?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Theres a youtube video in fitting it.

You will need a special tool called a triple square drive to get the bolts undone - I borrowed one from my local mechanic. A lot of nerve to pull the door panels off and a steady hand when undoing the door handle plastic gizmo. Don't drop this inside the door , I did on both sides and lost it , luckily the replacement mechanism comes with a new one ! Check the new one on how to undo it.