Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Iphone features and Q5

Old 08-11-2011, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iphone features and Q5

Not sure why Audi would choose to place teh Iphone in the glovebox. Anyway to run a cable outside the glovebox?
In addition, with Pandora, Tune-in Radio and other apps, is it possible to hear these apps via the MMI? Urgently looking for help.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well like safety reasons, they simply don't want you to touch the phone to distract yourself while driving.

Of course, one thing you can do is get the iSkin Cerulean RX+TX package with a modded iPod cable for your MMI system. That way you can use your iDevices outside the glovebox and be able to transmit any audio from your iDevice.

It'll cost you about $100 and some soldering knowledge since the cable needs to be modded.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone have any experience with one of the cable extension's for this? I'm thinking about something like:

http://www.vdoelectronics.com/produc...le_iPhone.html

My 'ipod' is my cell phone. Not really interested in putting it into the glove box every time I get in the car....
Old 08-12-2011, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tomb01
Anyone have any experience with one of the cable extension's for this? I'm thinking about something like:

http://www.vdoelectronics.com/produc...le_iPhone.html

My 'ipod' is my cell phone. Not really interested in putting it into the glove box every time I get in the car....
I had that, works. However do be careful as some cables does NOT carry the data pins which it's required for MMI to work in the iPod/iPhone mode.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was my impression that this cable was intended to be used with an iPod (not an iphone) that you simply left in the glove box. Obviously, no automaker wants you manipulating a phone when your attention should be focused on the road.

Do most of you use this cable with a iPhone or an iPod?
How many of you use the SD card slots to listen to your music?
How many of you load up the hard drive and listen to your music that way?

Would be interesting to see how this is broken down. Take this quick poll so we can get an idea rough idea... http://snappoll.com/poll/374578.php
Old 08-12-2011, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a dedicated iPod nano I keep in the glovebox. I use blackberry, so I don't have the temptation of trying to use the iPhone for everything!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mike.agueros@gmail.com
Not sure why Audi would choose to place teh Iphone in the glovebox. Anyway to run a cable outside the glovebox?
In addition, with Pandora, Tune-in Radio and other apps, is it possible to hear these apps via the MMI? Urgently looking for help.
mike you might want to change your screen name to be something other than your email address
Old 08-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did get one of those cables, but I forgot the brand. Can't check until 3 weeks because I'm on international travel.
Anyways, I routed the cable from the glove-box, through that AC-vent hole (took the plastic ring out), behind the dash and propped it behind the mid-console panel, and let it pop out just next to the passenger seat (used some zip-ties and black duct-tape here and there to secure the cable). That way I did not have to modify or cut anything near the midconsole, and the cable can attach to my iPhone while it sits in the armrest, cupholders or anywhere around the midconsole.
Worked great, for a while. Then at some point the MMI stopped recognizing my iPhone, so either a software update on the iPhone made it not work with the cable anymore or the cable itself broke, because if I connect in the glovebox directly it still works.
Was convenient, now its a bummer... Kinda gotta see if I can fix it, because I miss how it worked to well.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are you guys trying to text or e-mail while driving or something? I dont understand whats so bad about having the phone in the glove box getting charged with full access to your music and contact list right at the steering wheel controls.
Originally Posted by mike.agueros@gmail.com
If you jailbreak the phone and download music controls pro then yes, you can play Pandora and other apps thru the mmi with the standard cable that came with the car.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DriftDreamzSS
Are you guys trying to text or e-mail while driving or something? I dont understand whats so bad about having the phone in the glove box getting charged with full access to your music and contact list right at the steering wheel controls.
Like I said, my iPhone is my music. Not particularly interested in having to put my phone into, and then taking it out of, the glove box every time I get in/out of the car. Lots of options for this on other vehicles that do not involve putting it into the glove box, like bluetooth, or just putting the stupid connection into the center arm rest.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Iphone features and Q5