Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 suspension

Old 01-04-2014, 07:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 suspension

Ok so back with the SQ, do the S models have adjustable suspension? I see all of the settings for everything else but not that
Old 01-04-2014, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Q5 S-line has adjustable suspension.

SQ5 has non-adjustable, "sport" suspension
Old 01-05-2014, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

The suspension is the main thing I don't like on my SQ5... The ride is too harsh. The adaptive suspension on my S5 provides a much better ride even in AUTO mode. I never drove a Q5 with adaptive suspension, so I don't know if the ride is similar to the S5. I did test drive a Q5 without adaptive suspension, and felt that the ride was too harsh on that one.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

I guess it all depends on the preferences. I think the SQ5 ride is just perfect. But then, I live in the area with good roads and no snow.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I live with bad bad roads and while the fixed suspension is certainly stiff, it doesn't bother my wife or I. It all depends on your personal tolerances. For not giving us an adjustable suspension, I do think they did a great job with sporty and solid vs comfort. That's pretty difficult in an SUV.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:51 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MAMOHT
I guess it all depends on the preferences. I think the SQ5 ride is just perfect. But then, I live in the area with good roads and no snow.
Different part of the country but same bottom line: the SQ5 ride is spot on for me and my passengers have commented on how comfortable the car is. Steve
Old 01-05-2014, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scrmorling
Different part of the country but same bottom line: the SQ5 ride is spot on for me and my passengers have commented on how comfortable the car is. Steve
My wife had a lower lumbar fusion a week before Christmas and the SQ5 is her car. She had no issues with it prior to surgery and even in the times I've driven her places post-surgery it has been great.

My other car is in the shop, so I have an A6 loaner. While the ride over bumps is a bit softer, I honestly don't think that it is much of a difference...and then add in the lack of ability to perform on the A6, and I love the SQ5 even more!

Just like MANY testers have mistaken the SQ5 for having adjustable suspension, I think in many instances, it is more of a mental thing than actual performance (I'm not saying there isn't a difference, just not as big as may be perceived).
Old 01-05-2014, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gtwagon941
Just like MANY testers have mistaken the SQ5 for having adjustable suspension, I think in many instances, it is more of a mental thing than actual performance (I'm not saying there isn't a difference, just not as big as may be perceived).
It's a noticeable difference... I drive my S5 (19" wheels) with adaptive suspension, and my SQ5 (21" wheels) on the same (mostly crappy) roads all the time. The ride on the SQ5 is significantly harsher. It's tolerable - definitely not horrible; just somewhat unpleasant.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Coming from a lowered Z06 on Bilstein sport shocks...yeah this thing rides like a Caddy to me.

I see no issues with it at all..it is a "Sport" utility...so I would expect some feel to it. I have no complaints at all about the ride even with the 21" wheels on it. If I wanted something that floated down the highway I would have bought a 67 Caddy.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I don't think the ride is too harsh with 21" wheels BUT would like less body lean - waiting to see options for a slight lowering to about where it is in Europe and/or beefed up sway bar set up. My 2007 BMW X3 nailed better, but ride was also more choppy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SQ5 suspension