Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

I currently own a 2012 RX350 and drove a Q5 today

Old 01-21-2014, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sid369
I actually went to another dealership and test drove the 2.0T and I found it to be lighter and more peppy. Although the test drive wasn't long, I however was more comfortable since the SA was really really nice and informative. Very different experience that the previous dealership. Also, he said they were volume dealership so they could negotiate the price,He said they can $500 over invoice.

I was looking at the premium 2.0T with lighting package moonroof and heated seats was coming out to be $41,800 or something and they could offer it for 39,300.

The Lease no. were a little high though, the Residual was 55% and money factor was (lowest they can go depending on credit) was .0159

I think in order for me to keep my monthly payments close to what I pay for the Rav4, I will need to get a good trade in value. So I will see what they offer on the Rav4 and go from there.

Although, I think they are offering a good sale price, I am not sure if I am getting a good deal considering it not loaded with creature comforts etc.

I honestly am getting very confused as to which car to buy. I have even gone as far as getting a Honda Accord (Since my commute is long) and i could save some money, but then I think I will probably regret it.

Trying to make a good financial sense at the same time trying to get a car that I will enjoy. Lexus RX350 is not very good on gas and I will have to pay more than the Q5.

BMW X3 is out because of the seats etc.
Lexus sedans, I think the IS250 is too small and the ES350 driving is bland. The GS350 however is great but pricey.

How about Passat?

Sorry for going off topic.
I think I get your situation... and if you're trying to make financial sense out of purchasing an Audi, then you shouldn't be purchasing an Audi.

Seriously.... cars are money pits. It doesn't make much sense for many people to own one, let alone spend high-ish dollar on a vehicle like a Q5.

If you love the Q5 and wouldn't be exposing yourself financially by purchasing one, then go for it.
Just don't bother trying to rationalize it financially... it's not possible to do so.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JaXeN
I think I get your situation... and if you're trying to make financial sense out of purchasing an Audi, then you shouldn't be purchasing an Audi.

Seriously.... cars are money pits. It doesn't make much sense for many people to own one, let alone spend high-ish dollar on a vehicle like a Q5.

If you love the Q5 and wouldn't be exposing yourself financially by purchasing one, then go for it.
Just don't bother trying to rationalize it financially... it's not possible to do so.
Definitely agree. Rationalizing a vehicle purchase like this as somehow the best financial or practical choice is kind of missing the whole point as to why you want it (if in fact you do...).

Practical, car-as-appliance decision process is how Toyota can sell millions of cars with reliability but no soul nor fun component whatsoever. In fact, I'd venture that even a new Toyota can't be rationalized in any sense if practicality and fiscal responsibility are the over-riding factors - just buy a used one. They run for damn-near ever anyway.

Frankly, the thought of driving any car "forever" makes me want to jump off a bridge. I enjoy what some would call the frivolous emotional aspects of vehicles more than I do money, and there is no way that can be explained away as either practical or impractical. It just is.

All that to say - it's OK if you can't make sense out of it from a logic perspective. Sometimes logic can't be used to determine something illogical...
Old 01-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Lust > Logic almost every time
Old 01-22-2014, 12:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
Definitely agree. Rationalizing a vehicle purchase like this as somehow the best financial or practical choice is kind of missing the whole point as to why you want it (if in fact you do...).

Practical, car-as-appliance decision process is how Toyota can sell millions of cars with reliability but no soul nor fun component whatsoever. In fact, I'd venture that even a new Toyota can't be rationalized in any sense if practicality and fiscal responsibility are the over-riding factors - just buy a used one. They run for damn-near ever anyway.

Frankly, the thought of driving any car "forever" makes me want to jump off a bridge. I enjoy what some would call the frivolous emotional aspects of vehicles more than I do money, and there is no way that can be explained away as either practical or impractical. It just is.

All that to say - it's OK if you can't make sense out of it from a logic perspective. Sometimes logic can't be used to determine something illogical...

It's a totally irrational, emotional love of cars thing.
Whether you can truly afford it or not. One seems to make it happen. Don't even ask me how many vehicles I've owned.
It's a falling in love feeling. The Q5 is my favorite of all.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks guys, I was hoping I would somehow get talked out of it. I definitely like the Q5, and I am also one of those who likes to changes cars very couple years.

I guess I will need to test drive these cars a few times and see which one I like overall.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CapeDave
Lust > Logic almost every time
Yes it does... and unfortunately, or fortunately, with the Q5 3.0T being my first Audi, I have discovered yet another automotive brand that makes some lustful cars... with the Q5 being billed in our house as a needed, "practical" solution until the kids are moved out, I'm afraid what happens when we no longer need the space! Do I start saving up for an "S" variety or "RS"...hmmmmmm
Old 01-22-2014, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks guys, I was hoping I would somehow get talked out of it. I definitely like the Q5, and I am also one of those who likes to changes cars very couple years.

I guess I will need to test drive these cars a few times and see which one I like overall.
sorry for my thread hijack below sid369. Let us know what you decide!
Old 01-22-2014, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

My SA got back to me with numbers today,
RAV4 - tarde in value $10,500 - balance owed $6500 (equity $4000)

Q5 2.0T - msrp $41,800

premium, heated seats, sunroof, lighting package

price offered $570 over invoice

36mo/15000 miles

with $1500 inception fees

About $495 a month.

Is this a good price/deal?

It would be great if someone could give some input.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

My SA got back to me with numbers today,
RAV4 - tarde in value $10,500 - balance owed $6500 (equity $4000)

Q5 2.0T - msrp $41,800

premium, heated seats, sunroof, lighting package

price offered $570 over invoice

36mo/15000 miles

with $1500 inception fees

About $495 a month.

Is this a good price/deal?

It would be great if someone could give some input.
I think that sounds in the ballpark. My S4 was 57k and I pay $639a month with $600 down and 12k miles annually for 42 months. Audicare is also thrown in there. I think I got a great deal though so I do not think your price is that bad. Good luck in whatever you decide.