Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

How come you cannot totally disable the Stability Systems on a SQ5?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How come you cannot totally disable the Stability Systems on a SQ5?

I find it really annoying that the OFF Road mode only turns down the ESC & ASR systems and still leaves them on enough to interfere when driving in deep snow.Is there a way to defeat these systems not shown in the manual?Its the 1st vehicle that we have ever owned that these systems are not defeatable which really reduces the fun factor when winter driving.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

It is impossible for security reasons
ABS, ASR, ESP and other systems are deeply involved system of the car and it is impossible to totally turn off
Old 02-08-2014, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by spijun
ABS, ASR, ESP and other systems are deeply involved system of the car and it is impossible to totally turn off
With all of our BMW's including an X3 you have been able to defeat all the systems with the exception of the ABS and I do not understand why you cannot on the SQ5.I wish I could also turn the ABS off as well as it lengthens the stopping distance in snow but I can live with that.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DNJ47
With all of our BMW's including an X3 you have been able to defeat all the systems with the exception of the ABS and I do not understand why you cannot on the SQ5.I wish I could also turn the ABS off as well as it lengthens the stopping distance in snow but I can live with that.
Because each manufacturer has their own reasons
BMW xDrive and Audi quattro are two different systems - the big difference is in the systems
Each has advantages and disadvantages

Last edited by spijun; 02-08-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can completely disable it in my RS4, which is a must in the snow. We have snow for the first time and I too was annoyed that you can't turn it all the way off on the SQ5. Surely does make it less fun.

With that said, the computer does a great job of making it a safe car for the snow. With the Blizzaks on, I was really impressed with how it handled. Slightly less fun, but considering my wife is the primary driver, I like that it is so solid.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
Pull the respective fuse and that system will be disabled.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
Pull the respective fuse and that system will be disabled.
Yes can be so, but will thus disable and other systems that are connected and you will receive a lot of errors and it is possible you will have to visit dealers
It operated on the old Audi models, before 2008

FYI: ABS system is connected with all-wheel drive control unit and .....

PS: Find thread ThunderDent how much is trouble had due to the air filter
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2837520&page=4

This is just an example of how systems are connected

Last edited by spijun; 02-08-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gtwagon941
I can completely disable it in my RS4, which is a must in the snow. We have snow for the first time and I too was annoyed that you can't turn it all the way off on the SQ5. Surely does make it less fun.

With that said, the computer does a great job of making it a safe car for the snow. With the Blizzaks on, I was really impressed with how it handled. Slightly less fun, but considering my wife is the primary driver, I like that it is so solid.
Its very safe for sure but for a sporty type SUV it sure takes any fun out of driving it in the snow.I am quite disappointed by being unable to defeat the nanny systems.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I find it really annoying that the OFF Road mode only turns down the ESC & ASR systems and still leaves them on enough to interfere when driving in deep snow.Is there a way to defeat these systems not shown in the manual?Its the 1st vehicle that we have ever owned that these systems are not defeatable which really reduces the fun factor when winter driving.
In previous Audi's you could press and hold the ESC button to completely disable it. It is no longer possible. Even in my S6. I guess Audi knows best.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its very safe for sure but for a sporty type SUV it sure takes any fun out of driving it in the snow.I am quite disappointed by being unable to defeat the nanny systems.
I wouldn't say it takes all the fun out. You can still get it to move a bit.

Quick Reply: How come you cannot totally disable the Stability Systems on a SQ5?