Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Helpful tip for TDI owners

Old 07-30-2014, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helpful tip for TDI owners

1 of the potential downsides of owning a TDI is the availability and price of diesel gas at all stations, particularly in an urban or suburban environment. I have pulled into a couple of stations that did not have diesel. I've also noticed a price variance of up to 20c a gallon for diesel even across the street because the diesel price is not on the sign.

The solution has been around for a long time but I never bothered with it until now:

Gas Buddy App on your smartphone!

I set my preference to diesel and hit the 'find stations around me' main button. Boom, all the diesel stations near me with prices and at my fingertips.

I am not affiliated in any way with Gas Buddy, just sharing an App that has proven very useful to me.

Last edited by sdiver68; 07-30-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sdiver68
1 of the potential downsides of owning a TDI is the availability and price of diesel gas at all stations, particularly in an urban or suburban environment. I have pulled into a couple of stations that did not have diesel. I've also noticed a price variance of up to 20c a gallon for diesel even across the street because the diesel price is not on the sign.

The solution has been around for a long time but I never bothered with it until now:

Gas Buddy App on your smartphone!

I set my preference to diesel and hit the 'find stations around me' main button. Boom, all the diesel stations near me with prices and at my fingertips.

I am not affiliated in any way with Gas Buddy, just sharing an App that has proven very useful to me.
Unfortunately people don't update it enough here in Canada for the TDI option!
Old 07-30-2014, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Agree: Gas Buddy is the shizzle
Old 07-30-2014, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Within 6 months you'll know the location of every diesel-selling station in the areas you typically travel.

Gas Buddy is great when you are not in familiar territory.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

When I picked up my TDI, the SA showed me that GPS (if hooked up to google maps I guess) will show you nearby diesel stations. I thought it was pretty cool. But I still rely on Gas Buddy mostly.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

+1
I use it all the time with great results.
Diesel can be had in my area for 3.459 right now - about .10 cents less than regular no lead, and .50 cents less than premium no lead at present.

I use a spreadsheet to calculate the distance to nearby stations with prices from Gas Buddy to determine if it's worth the drive to get cheaper fuel. (unless I'm headed that way anyway…)

Last edited by Q5 TDI; 07-30-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Q5 TDI
+1
I use it all the time with great results.
Diesel can be had in my area for 3.459 right now - about .10 cents less than regular no lead, and .50 cents less than premium no lead at present.

I use a spreadsheet to calculate the distance to nearby stations with prices from Gas Buddy to determine if it's worth the drive to get cheaper fuel. (unless I'm headed that way anyway…)
I wish Diesel was that cheap out here....the cheapest here at the moment is $3.99 a gallon.....but it's still much cheaper than even 87 octane.

Audi connect will help you locate Diesel stations too, but I often find it takes more selection in the MMI than just whipping out my iPhone and checking gas buddy...... The only problem is that gas buddy does rely on it members for pricing and Audi connect doesn't.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Gas Buddy is a blessing...

I keep my favorites on my smartphone and by location. Filter by diesel or premium depending on your vehicle.

I easily save 25 to 50 cents a gallon on diesel by searching Gas Buddy before leaving the house for a fill up. An Exxon station in my area is best price at $3.99 gallon, premium is $4.119, and they are credit card prices as well.

Gas Buddy now indicates if the price is "cash only".

That is great as with my credit cards I save another 3 to 5% on the purchase in rebates.

Technology is wonderful!

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 07-30-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default +1

I have used GasBuddy regularly for the exact same reason you gave to home in on Diesel supplying stations. I have been finding that in the last few weeks diesel prices are falling in north west Metro boston.

The app just makes driving my Q5TDI even more fun!