Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Has anyone used the spare tire for a 2014 Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
Mine only took two minute to deflate and fold itself back into its collapse size
You're a lucky man
Old 06-27-2014, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
You're a lucky man
only lucky on this. not lucky on the lottery lol
Old 06-27-2014, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
only lucky on this. not lucky on the lottery lol
Next time don't go for implosive deflation and maybe you'll do better at the lottery (i.e., win enough to cover a candy bar or something, woo!).
Old 06-27-2014, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
Next time don't go for implosive deflation and maybe you'll do better at the lottery (i.e., win enough to cover a candy bar or something, woo!).
haha! if i do, ill send you some candies!!
Old 06-28-2014, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

The last thing I want to know about a spare tire is that I will have to empty out the rear to access it, and then wait "several hours" before I can stow it away again. Not convenient unless you own a home with a garage or leave it with Audi for the day.

So I'm betting that since Audi thinks a "slime" package is good enough for the A8, it is also good enough for my Q5. I bought the Slime brand inflator/sealer/pump combination, which will pump in a large bottle of Slime sealant while it fully inflates a punctured tire. The Slime is in-line with the inflator, you don't need to remove valve cores or uninstall anything. And since our TPS system doesn't use sensors in the tire, there's absolutely no worry about damaging anything in the TPS either.

If it works as advertised, it will mean that I plug in the "box" and in fifteen minutes I'm on the road again, no need to touch the spare at all. If it doesn't work...OK, then I screw around with the kludge job in the car. Bear in mind, Audi thinks this is good enough for their own OEM use too. Although, I'm sure they'd tell you their OEM black goo is better. You can always get that from the dealer, too.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run Flats

I've been kicking around the idea of going to run flats when these Pirellis wear out. I had them on my 325i and didn't mind the slightly harder ride. Plus the added space would be perfect for a subwoofer and amp.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Run flats are a great idea IF you are strictly an urban driver.

My friend has them on an X3, and while coming home one weekend (200 miles each way) found a huge sidewall blister, probably from hitting a pothole. The kind of blister that's dangerous to drive on, in case it blows out at highway speed.

Verdict from the local AAA and tire shop? Oh yeah, them's special tires, but we can have one shipped in first thing in the morning. Tomorrow. Hotel's down the block, have a nice night.

A whole day and night lost on the road, a hotel bill, extra meals on the road, and of course needing to have, really, two tires shipped in via express because you want to do some things on axle pairs not alone.

Those runflats are just great, assuming you are always within 50 miles of your destination. Otherwise...not so great, they can be very inconvenient if you have more than a simple puncture needing a simple patch.

FWIW.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know where you can buy a space saver spare like that? The reason I ask is that the new Q5 2015 build comes with no spare , just liquid tyre mend with a compressor.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'd call a junkyard and buy one from a wrecked Q5. Should be some around, perfectly new and unused. Any junkyard can "put it on the teletype" and bring one in for you, although they don't use teletypes anymore.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redd
I'd call a junkyard and buy one from a wrecked Q5. Should be some around, perfectly new and unused. Any junkyard can "put it on the teletype" and bring one in for you, although they don't use teletypes anymore.
Thanks Redd. I'm in the UK. Will try and call around some breakers yards to see if Ye have any. Usually it's the first thing to go though from a car

Quick Reply: Has anyone used the spare tire for a 2014 Q5?