Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Has anyone used the spare tire for a 2014 Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 12:03 PM
eus
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Has anyone used the spare tire for a 2014 Q5?

My 2014 Q5 comes with a deflated mini spare tire, that looks ridiculously compact when its deflated.

I recently had the misfortune of running over a massive screw (with a washer as well). I ended up just taking the wheel off and taking my wife's car to the tireshop to fix it, because I didn't want to deal with the hassle of using the spare.

I was hesitant to use the spare because I'm not sure if it deflates back to the small size to put it back into the trunk. I've never dealt with one of these before, so I'm wondering if anyone has had to use one. Is it easy to deflate it back to "storage" size? Any tricks to doing that?
Old 06-26-2014, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eus
My 2014 Q5 comes with a deflated mini spare tire, that looks ridiculously compact when its deflated.

I recently had the misfortune of running over a massive screw (with a washer as well). I ended up just taking the wheel off and taking my wife's car to the tireshop to fix it, because I didn't want to deal with the hassle of using the spare.

I was hesitant to use the spare because I'm not sure if it deflates back to the small size to put it back into the trunk. I've never dealt with one of these before, so I'm wondering if anyone has had to use one. Is it easy to deflate it back to "storage" size? Any tricks to doing that?
the tire will deflate once you release all its pressure from the tire. It will fold itself back into its original shape. its actually pretty cool to see.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
the tire will deflate once you release all its pressure from the tire. It will fold itself back into its original shape. its actually pretty cool to see.
Note that the manual says that it could take a few hours to fully return to shape. Though you can encourage it by pushing it back to shape so it doesn't take as long (in case it doesn't happen to fully collapse just from deflating).
Old 06-26-2014, 01:43 PM
eus
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys! I'll try this out next time (hopefully never).
Old 06-26-2014, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went on roundtrip recently from IA to AZ and back. Since we had the space, I took a spare Goodyear tire that came on the car and put it on the trunk just in case. I'd replaced the OEM tires with all season Continentals. Probably overkill, but I didn't want to screw with that either if I was in the middle of western KS or NM.

Figured some shop could replace the tire if disaster occurred. Luckily it didn't. Only mishap was a nice rock chip coming home in eastern AZ- had it fixed a couple hours later at a Safelite store in Albuquerque...
Old 06-27-2014, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by idale
Note that the manual says that it could take a few hours to fully return to shape. Though you can encourage it by pushing it back to shape so it doesn't take as long (in case it doesn't happen to fully collapse just from deflating).
remove the tire valve stem inside the valve. im sure its gonna deflate asap. lol thats how i did mine. it was actually soooooo interesting seeing it deflate. thats just me thou haha
Old 06-27-2014, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
remove the tire valve stem inside the valve. im sure its gonna deflate asap. lol thats how i did mine. it was actually soooooo interesting seeing it deflate. thats just me thou haha
I used the spare wheel and it is true that needs time to return to its original folded form.
It's not just the air, but the system and the structure of the spare tire

Old 06-27-2014, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dread the day that I have to use that thing.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by spijun
I used the spare wheel and it is true that needs time to return to its original folded form.
It's not just the air, but the system and the structure of the spare tire

Mine only took two minute to deflate and fold itself back into its collapse size
Old 06-27-2014, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I dread the day that I have to use that thing.
It's not that bad, it's just not quite as quick and simple as a standard spare. I really wish manufacturers didn't get rid of the full-size spares, I liked being able to just stick on a real replacement and get going right away instead of all the limitations the compacts have.

Quick Reply: Has anyone used the spare tire for a 2014 Q5?