Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Got an Allroad loaner

Old 11-13-2013, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got an Allroad loaner

Took in my 2012 Q5 2.0T for servicing and got a 2014 Allroad with 300 miles. Is there anything different about this car that I should try playing with on my way home from work?

On the drive in, it felt like my Q5 but that's to be expected considering all I did was drive for 1 hour in traffic on the highway. Inside the cabin wasn't all that different from the Q5 either, except there was a button or indicator light next to the component speaker grill in the driver side A-pillar. Anyone know what that is?
Old 11-13-2013, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Parsec
Took in my 2012 Q5 2.0T for servicing and got a 2014 Allroad with 300 miles. Is there anything different about this car that I should try playing with on my way home from work?

On the drive in, it felt like my Q5 but that's to be expected considering all I did was drive for 1 hour in traffic on the highway. Inside the cabin wasn't all that different from the Q5 either, except there was a button or indicator light next to the component speaker grill in the driver side A-pillar. Anyone know what that is?
I'll be interested in any follow up reports on the AR. I'm intrigued with them.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

A4 allroad quattro and the Q5 is built on the same platform.
Use the same engine, gearbox and quattro drive
Old 11-13-2013, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the button is the Side Assist power button. Didn't you notice yellow lights glowing in the mirror housings?
Old 11-13-2013, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JGA5Cab
the button is the Side Assist power button. Didn't you notice yellow lights glowing in the mirror housings?
Thanks, I noticed the yellow light while driving but didn't realize you could turn it on and off w/that button. Redundant feature for me because no amount of technology will untrain me to check my blind spots manually.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, I noticed the yellow light while driving but didn't realize you could turn it on and off w/that button. Redundant feature for me because no amount of technology will untrain me to check my blind spots manually.
It's pretty easy to check the right side behind you but the left side poses challenges and it's quite helpful. It's really nice when you want to make a split second maneuver and you are assured that it's clear.

I have the feature on my Cabriolet and not the Q5. If I had a choice of one car having it, the Q5 would be the winner.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Side-Assist feature isn't meant to "untrain" one from habitually checking the mirrors. It is very useful especially in heavy freeway traffic, alerting one with approaching vehicles from the rear when one is concentrating on the traffic ahead. Peripheral vision assistance as it were. I've been very pleased with the feature…..and I'd bet I've been checking my mirrors a LOT longer than most on this forum.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JGA5Cab
It's pretty easy to check the right side behind you but the left side poses challenges and it's quite helpful. It's really nice when you want to make a split second maneuver and you are assured that it's clear.

I have the feature on my Cabriolet and not the Q5. If I had a choice of one car having it, the Q5 would be the winner.
I'll have to play around w/it on the way home. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it. As you said, I can see it being useful in split-second situations.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spijun
A4 allroad quattro and the Q5 is built on the same platform.
Use the same engine, gearbox and quattro drive
I like the tried and true drivetrain in the AR, I'm interested primarily in the aesthetics. Stylish (IMO) and you don't see many of them on the streets.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I like the tried and true drivetrain in the AR, I'm interested primarily in the aesthetics. Stylish (IMO) and you don't see many of them on the streets.
The allroad is basically the wagon version of the Q5, with how much is the same or almost the same between the two. Very hefty "avant tax" on the allroad, though, but I see a surprising number on the roads around Austin given that (and the prevailing opinion that Americans don't like wagons).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got an Allroad loaner