Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Roof Mounted Cargo Box Anyone & Sell Me On the Q5

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Mounted Cargo Box Anyone & Sell Me On the Q5

I'm looking to downsize from my Ford Expedition, while moving up in luxury, German luxury, something with which I could drive my elderly German mother around in style. I've ruled out the Touareg for reasons I'd rather not get into. I'm between the Q5 and Mercedes ML350 diesel. I test drove both. I did have an issue with the Q5's tight steering and engine noise (2.0). The Mercedes was looser and quieter. However, the Q5 reminds of that first crush in junior high. I can't stop thinking about it, whether it's the best for me or not. I personally believe the Q5 is the best looking vehicle in it's class, both with the exterior and interior. I like the whole layout, except that the second row seats do not lay completely flat in the Q5. Where the Mercedes comes out ahead, not just in price (cha-ching), is in cargo volume and fold flat second row seats. The features are similar, with Mercedes having a few more optional high tech safety features. Both get about the same gas mileage. 95% of the time, it is just me in my vehicle, with maybe one passenger. However, for the occasional family trip, cargo volume will fall short in the Q5. Has anyone used the Audi cargo box? That might give me the extra cargo space I occasionally need. How much was it? How hard was to install and uninstall? What were you able to get in it? Would anyone recommend the cargo box? I am trying to sell myself on the Audi, especially at about $10,000-$13,00 less for generally comparable features. Granted, some would say apples to oranges. Well, anyway, any input would be appreciated.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i drove the ML, that diesel is a sweet motor. much better than the 2.0 gas turbo.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this Thule roof box.
http://www.thule.com/en/AU/Products/...Pacific-200-DS

It only gets used a couple of times per year on the Q5 but is absolutely necessary given the Q's limited storage space. Basically it is this roof box that makes ownership of the Q suit our occasional storage needs when going on holidays. If we didn't have this then we would need a larger car. The great thing about the roof box and Q5 combo is that most of the time we don't need the extra storage space that a larger car would provide so we don't end up carting around a whole lot of empty space and additional mass when we just don't need it.

Last edited by CrustyNoodle; 05-04-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats not flat enough?
Old 05-03-2012, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

OP, the Q5 and ML series are in different classes. From Mercedes the equivalent would be the GLK (compact vs. mid-size). IMO, if space is a potential issue with the Q5 even with a top mounted box go with the ML. A direct competitor would be the BMW X5 series. The X5 has a option for a 3.5 diesel. This is a very good engine and currently the factory is offering a $3500 ECO credit. Styling, road feel, etc can be subjective. I would recommend test driving all of the contenders and go with the model that best fits your life-style.

I have ordered a MY13 Q5 for my wife and will be looking into a Thule box as well.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
i drove the ML, that diesel is a sweet motor. much better than the 2.0 gas turbo.
I agree, Mercedes makes a good diesel, I had one in my Jeep GC Overland. 100,000km and it went to hell, however, so I bought the Q.

My heart is with the Q5, but the ML is a pretty sweet car too. I've never been a fan of Merc, mainly for the interior stuff like the controls or button placements, but that was just in the lower models I haven't had the chance to play with the nicer, more expensive Mercs.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:14 AM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

We got the Thule 611 Boxter - a bit pricey but is a good fit on the vehicle using the Audi cross bars. A side benefit is that the roof bars which start to get a bit noisy around 80 kmph (50 mph) are essentially silent with the box in place. This box swallows a ton of gear!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think it's a valid comparison. Those were the two vehicles I was putting side to side. I never considered the GLK. I think the published milage specs were about the same between the 2.0 Q5 and the diesel ML however I'm not getting anywhere near the published milage for my Q5 and - speaking to diesel ML owners - they are. I came from an ML so I wanted to try something different. The Mercedes electronics are a lot more polished, appear to be updated every model year and for me much more intuitive.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a Thule Atlantis 1600 for mine. It works great for my snowboard and other gear when I need it. Fairly easy to take off too. I can lift it off myself on to some sawhorses in 5 minutes. Doesn't look to bad with the car either.
Good luck on your choice.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think the Mercedes was nice ,but disappointing in value. Crappy value. Drives bad to. I would say go for the Acura MDX but that gets bad mpg. I would get an X5 over the ML I guess, but both are exorbitant. I would go for the Q5 personally. One more annoying thing though - the transmission tunnel I find it unacceptable that they can't make a flat floor but I've gotten over it with some practice.

Quick Reply: Roof Mounted Cargo Box Anyone & Sell Me On the Q5