Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Glow Plug light coming on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glow Plug light coming on?

Have 2014 Q5 TDI

The glow plug light has flashed a few times for me, and I've noticed zero difference in terms of driving/handling. I've pulled over, shut the car off then back on and it disappears. So it is very rare, all things considered, and random/infrequent. Still, it has appeared about 4 times.

I brought it into Audi and they said that the fuel pump/electronics is making it thing that too much diesel is being pumped in even though it's not, causing the false warning. They told me basically nothing to worry about but they're going to replace the fuel pump.

I am not at all a car person. Can anyone with more car experience shed some light on this situation? Anything I should be concerned about? Annoying that I need a major part replaced within 1 year of ownership
Old 07-27-2014, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a similar experience, except the third time the glow plug light came on and stayed on. The dealer told me the fuel pump needed to be replaced, and I should not drive the vehicle anymore until the replacement is complete. Apparently, Audi is switching to a new design on the fuel pump, so the part had to come from Germany.

I never got a very good explanation for why the pump might fail so early. One theory I have heard (not from the dealer) is bad diesel, but I have been pretty good about avoiding biodiesel and buying fuel from reputable places.

So, I have shared your experience, but unfortunately I can't offer much insight on the cause.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by centurion70
I had a similar experience, except the third time the glow plug light came on and stayed on. The dealer told me the fuel pump needed to be replaced, and I should not drive the vehicle anymore until the replacement is complete. Apparently, Audi is switching to a new design on the fuel pump, so the part had to come from Germany.

I never got a very good explanation for why the pump might fail so early. One theory I have heard (not from the dealer) is bad diesel, but I have been pretty good about avoiding biodiesel and buying fuel from reputable places.

So, I have shared your experience, but unfortunately I can't offer much insight on the cause.
Yes my replacement is also coming direct from Germany. They mentioned something like having to make the request and getting approval to actually receive the part...
Old 07-29-2014, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

best to vag com scan. check if there are any default codes