Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Freshly Detailed w/Gtechniq Crystal Serum Coating

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustin Fennell
Typically you can drop it off in the morning and pick it up the end of the same day. This really depends on how much color correcting needs to be done. If you get the wheel coating, that takes 12 hours to cure. Paint coating takes 4 hours to cure, I believe.
Thanks for quickly answering my question Dustin.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustin Fennell
Google Opti coat vs. gtechniq and you will see the pluses and minuses of each versus the other.
OptiCoat has more of a neutral appearance which makes perfecting the paint prior to application somewhat critical. The other coatings seem to yield a much glossier appearance.

Most of the coatings advertise "2 years". The OptiCoat will likely last as long as we keep our cars meaning something in excess of 2 years. It's hugely durable.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uberwgn
OptiCoat has more of a neutral appearance which makes perfecting the paint prior to application somewhat critical. The other coatings seem to yield a much glossier appearance.

Most of the coatings advertise "2 years". The OptiCoat will likely last as long as we keep our cars meaning something in excess of 2 years. It's hugely durable.
Does Opti Coat Pro last any longer than Opti Coat?
Old 07-27-2014, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I believe the pro version is the "heavy duty" product. Doesn't it include a warranty?
Old 07-27-2014, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The Gtechniq Crystal Serum gives you a 5 year warranty from Gtechniq. You can pay something like $200 and they will warranty for 7 years through an insurance policy.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

I concur on the pricing. I have a friend who travels for clients and their elite cars. He did my Q5 for about $800 (outside paint correction, wash and Gtechniq) and that's a friend price. Not sure what it goes for full pop.

It's been nearly 8 months and the water still rolls off the car in the rain (along with the dirt). It always looks brand new after a simple water down. Amazing stuff when applied correctly.

He kept the car overnight in his LED bake bay. Apparently it takes time to "cure" ...

Dustin, I don't have the clear bra application. Did you do that before or after the detail? And what prices were you seeing in your area -- I hear it's also pretty pricey, yes?
Old 07-28-2014, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
Originally Posted by uberwgn
I believe the pro version is the "heavy duty" product. Doesn't it include a warranty?
Yes, the Pro version, which can only be applied by an Opti-Coat authorized detailer, is a thicker product. The 2.0 version is for DIY application. Optimum claims the the application for either is permanent (unless polished out). Materials and labor warranty against defects is for 5 years on the Pro.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jazzy
I concur on the pricing. I have a friend who travels for clients and their elite cars. He did my Q5 for about $800 (outside paint correction, wash and Gtechniq) and that's a friend price. Not sure what it goes for full pop.

It's been nearly 8 months and the water still rolls off the car in the rain (along with the dirt). It always looks brand new after a simple water down. Amazing stuff when applied correctly.

He kept the car overnight in his LED bake bay. Apparently it takes time to "cure" ...

Dustin, I don't have the clear bra application. Did you do that before or after the detail? And what prices were you seeing in your area -- I hear it's also pretty pricey, yes?
I'm getting GTechniq with Exo (with chemical decon first) including C5 wheels/rims, dash and leather coating, and full glass coating for $1200 total in Northern VA. Seems like a decent price for everything. Does anyone have experience with the G1 and G5 glass coatings, or the L1 leather and C6 dash coatings?

Had a quote for $1400 for Modesta - body and wheels only. With the GTechniq reviews, as well as the additional work done - and to top it off at $200 less, seems like GTechniq was the way to go.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazzy

I did do the clear bra prior to the gtechniq. My detailer told me I had to, otherwise the clear bra would not stick. They applied the gtechniq over the clear bra.

The clear bra I have is the Xpel material. I had the full front bumper, partial hood & front fenders, mirrors, front door edges (since the rears are rarely used - no kids at home), door handle cups, and the top of the rear bumper (to protect from loading/unloading). I believe that all cost me $550 or $650 (can't remember).

I did all of this since I'm pretty **** about keeping my vehicle looking new and I plan on keeping the SQ5 for quite a few years.