Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

finally picked up our SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finally picked up our SQ5

ordered Dec 18, at dealership Mar 11, brought home Mar 12. Prestige, Monsoon, black Alcantara, carbon fiber, 21". mods are undecided for now, but "carbon fiber" supercharged badges are in the mail arriving soon to replace the V6T badges. previously i drove a MkIV VW R32 that i bought new in 2/2004, and after i sold her, i drove our B5 S4. having said that, this is my first non-tiny car (before the R32 i had a GTi, Corrado SLC, Paseo, Storm) and i'm pleasantly surprised at the ease of the SQ5's handling and feel. i expected it behave like a tall SUV and to have to adjust my driving style accordingly, but it actually feels nicely planted and hugs the ground almost like our other cars, as opposed to a bigger taller vehicle. i'm still toying with Drive Select, and learning the MMI system. the size of the "elephant ear" (lol...mwhoever called them that in these forums is spot-on) side mirrors are also taking some getting used to, as well as finding a perfect seat position. i'm only 5'2" and those mirrors feel like they're right in front of my nose, so part of deciding on the ideal seat position is where my head is in relation to them. something i noticed that was troubling until i figured out the source was the whirring fan noise from the cooled cupholder. but ehh, not a big deal, and i love the car and am happy with our purchase. i'm looking forward to learning more here on AW about this car as well as deciding on mods.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:07 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Many congrats but where are the pics???? Steve
Old 03-15-2014, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats! Pics please.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks guys!

sorry, i posted some pics from my photobucket account but somehow screwed it up, so i deleted my post. we didn't take good pics, but here's one, fwiw.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Congrats! And remember, CHP patrols 280... during the day.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Xenonista
thanks! oh yes, i keep that in mind, no worries! having LE in the same household as me - let's just say the rash of crap i'd catch were i to get a ticket would be endless.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Car is awesome. Pretty peppy in Dynamic (Sport) mode. Maybe a little too aggressive with the throttle mapping. Congrats!
Old 03-15-2014, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xenonista
That's just a rumor! (That they patrol at all.) I'm just off 280, Bunker HIll exit, Highlands neighborhood of unincorporated San Mateo County.

I know there are Q5s all over the place in the Bay Area but look for my quartz gray '11 with a Stanford tow hitch cover. I prefer the dark gray but bought mine CPO so beggars cannot be choosers. Congrats OP, now get out on Skyline or Highway 1 or whatever and enjoy those twisties!
Old 03-15-2014, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Dalancroft
That's just a rumor! (That they patrol at all.) I'm just off 280, Bunker HIll exit, Highlands neighborhood of unincorporated San Mateo
By contract, there is one SMSO Deputy assigned to patrol your area until midnight.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sheep Dog
Car is awesome. Pretty peppy in Dynamic (Sport) mode. Maybe a little too aggressive with the throttle mapping. Congrats!
peppy indeed. i'm not used to the quickness with which it moves from a dead stop. still learning.

Quick Reply: finally picked up our SQ5