Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Family car to go with our SQ5?

Old 05-21-2014, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
My commute's somewhere around the same distance as yours. Were it me, I'd just take the SQ5 and enjoy it all the time instead of keeping it cooped up in the garage while I use a second vehicle for getting to work and back. At least it's a completely useful vehicle unlike if you say had a small sports car more suited to carving through the hills on weekends than sitting in traffic and basic transportation. And you're not commuting hours each way and putting a ton of miles on the car, so it's not something to where you'd likely have "too many" miles on the SQ5 if you used it for commuting as well.

Fuel costs could be less with a diesel (or other efficient engine), but at the same time you'd be paying for a second car, as BlackSVT points out. Maybe it still makes sense for you guys, though. Only you can say for sure.

Were it me and I for whatever reason was looking for a commuter-centric car (I've only ever had one car at a time and have it do whatever I need), just for going to work and back, I'd probably have something like a Golf TDI at the top of my list to look into, as it's a spacious smaller car that gets great mileage and should have reasonable amenities for commuting without getting too fancy and expensive (though they're not as cheap as they used to be). But my hypothetical needs might be different from your actual needs/desires.
You guys make a good point, since my commute is relatively low, then why not drive the SQ5 as the commuter car since most of the drive is on the freeway. My wife still wants to baby the SQ5 for now, especially since it's technically still her car. But once that new shine wears off, that might be a reasonable option.