Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Electronic Parking Brake Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From everything I've ever read oiled is even worse. Even just slight oiled.

I thought it wouldnt be a big deal. I just cant believe how fast it happened. I thought maybe the MAF would get a little dirty over 15-20k miles, and it might need cleaned.

Maybe you'll be okay. Other people seem to run other filters an are fine.

13 days is crazy. But, it happened unfortunetly.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow... can't believe a dry filter would be the cause of all these issues (and even the parking brake, which seems to be a completely different system).

Hopefully the K04 won't have any issues in the long run.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Man
Would you mind checking out the APR latest install instructions? All my install was a swap of the "plastic" for carbon fiber. No sensors are anywhere in sight of the install. Should I be worried just the same? I'll have a chat with APR tomorrow.
You must have a the MAF sensor because the engine does not work if is not exist

Name:  ScreenShot038-1.jpg
Views: 2392
Size:  78.8 KB
Old 11-26-2012, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

ThunderDent, did anyone explain the difference between the two dry air filters? Everthing I know about oiled vs dry filters in CAI set-ups is oiled filters are preferred. Dry filters are new to the CAI world aren't they?
I would hope APR tested their designs before throwing the $450 set-ups on the market. I certainly get the impression they are a big Audi Aftermarket Company. So this type of issue could KILL their product line. You don't say if your "kit" was the APR kits
The set-up for the 3.2 is NOT like the attached diagram from spijun.
See the BIG "ECS TUNING" "box" at the top of this site/page? I get the impression this Audi Site is familiar with their products.
I just don't think it's fair to blast a product "line" after one bad experience. So far I have nothing but a smile on my face. It made a ton of difference on my Q5 3.2L. But I think I'm gonna take the kit off this weekend and do some more reading. Maybe I'll call APR tomorrow and see just how far they stand behind their product.

Last edited by Otto Man; 11-26-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wouldn't begin to address his issues, but I've run a dry filter on a 2005 Silverado for years. At least 5, and I've never had an issue.
I've also run the K&N oiled filters in cars as far back as 1996 again with no issues.
I think both technologies are safe in todays cars as long as they are of high quality and follow their directions for cleaning/installation.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

ThunderDent, did anyone explain the difference between the two dry air filters? Everthing I know about oiled vs dry filters in CAI set-ups is oiled filters are preferred. Dry filters are new to the CAI world aren't they?
I would hope APR tested their designs before throwing the $450 set-ups on the market. I certainly get the impression they are a big Audi Aftermarket Company. So this type of issue could KILL their product line. You don't say if your "kit" was the APR kits
See the BIG "ECS TUNING" "box" at the top of this site/page? I get the impression this Audi Site is familiar with their products.
I just don't think it's fair to blast a product "line" after one bad experience. So far I have nothing but a smile on my face. It made a ton of difference on my Q5 3.2L. But I think I'm gonna take the kit off this weekend and do some more reading. Maybe I'll call APR tomorrow and see just how far they stand behind their product.
My issues are not APR related for my K04. There is no issue with that at all.

The aFe "Dry" filter was just a direct swap out for the stock filter (right in the stock box). It has nothing to do with APR. I'm not blasting their CAI product at all. If APR made a CAI for the 2.0T I would have gotten it instead.

The diagram that Spijun posted is for the 2.0 Turbo, not the 3.2L NA.

I'm not blasting APR, nor their product. Just sharing my experience with the aFe filter, and what happened to my MAF by not running a stock filter.

I know for a fact that APR warranties their products. So I'm sure you'll be fine.

I just wanted to share this story, so others would know not to get the aFe filter in their Q5.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

In engine 3.2 called MAP (Manifold absolute pressure and temperature sensor) is integrated in this part of from the image

Name:  ScreenShot047-1.jpg
Views: 2414
Size:  91.3 KB

These are the parts 10 and 16

Name:  ScreenShot048.jpg
Views: 2368
Size:  99.1 KB

Last edited by spijun; 11-26-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Got the Q back today. Runs awesome.

Parts & labor to fix the problem. $515.

Not fun.

Oh well, live and learn.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm glad that everything is now okay with the car

A costly mistake, people learn from mistakes
Old 11-28-2012, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
Got the Q back today. Runs awesome.

Parts & labor to fix the problem. $515.

Not fun.

Oh well, live and learn.
So they had no problem over looking the warranty because of the mods done? Enlighten us on that, how it went down, and explained away. Was it denied based on the filter setup or denied because of all the mods?