Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

My Q5 TDI on the Nurburgring

Old 10-23-2013, 06:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Q5 TDI on the Nurburgring

While in Germany taking Euro Delivery of my new Q5, I couldn't not drive to the Nurburgring.

I stuck a GoPro HERO3 Black to the sunroof of the car - unedited video here:

Some notes, before people give me grief about my driving.

1) Car had about 1400km on it when I got to the 'ring, so it was mostly broken-in.
2) Track was damp.
3) While I've played plenty of Forza Motorsport on my Xbox 360, nothing can compare you for actually driving the 'ring. It's a surprising amount of turns and hills that obfuscate what's coming next.
4) I think you tend to be a little more cautious when you're driving your new car on a racetrack.
5) My 4-months-pregnant wife is in the passenger seat.

Anyhow, the car on the 'ring was a blast - the torque of the TDI made accelerating out of turns a blast.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Jealous
Old 10-23-2013, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for sharing. I dont post on this site much but have been in the market for a Q5 now that some better engine choices were introduced. I have been spoiled over the years with my RS6s(still have both). One daily and one garage queen. Anyways...I finally had the chance to drive a TDI w/sline and sport package about a week ago and it impressed me. Not the color I wanted or it would have gone home with me but now on the lookout for a Daytona TDI with sline and sport seats. I even like the TDI over the US spec SQ5.

I wonder what the Geico lizard would say about any accident while on a racing track in Germany? Did you have to purchase Germany insurance while on the roads? I bet the driver of the M3 wishes he made better choices. That said, I could never put my new rig on that track because of the other guy and the idiots that could hit you. Glad it worked out.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wolverine!

Thanks so much for posting this! This made my morning!

Awesome video and love when your wife is telling you the speed and asking why you have to go so fast!

Just bought an SQ5 after owning an S4 and love it! Wish I would have done Euro delivery. Next time!
Old 10-24-2013, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

You won't get any grief from me... only envy. Looks like it was a blast!
Old 10-24-2013, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for sharing. Neat to see the blind-side assist lights going off in your mirror. And now you can't say your car has "never been tracked" if/when you sell it
Old 10-24-2013, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Awesome! Makes me think that I may want to do a ED for my next Audi. What was the cost for taking your Q on the track, and were you able to complete the circuit?
Thanks again for posting.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I want to go to there.

Thanks for the upload. What a thoroughly enjoyable 15 minutes. Your wife seems to put up with your shenanigans with aplomb.

"as long as you're enjoying it."
"Watch out! You're driving on ****!"
Old 10-24-2013, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice... I'm jealous!

I wanted to do the same thing for my SQ5, but we *still* don't have ED offered in Canada.

I'm pretty sure that if I buy another Audi, it will be on a more relaxed schedule and with consideration of purchasing in the USA just to get in on the ED goodness.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for sharing! And no worries for those concerned about it being on track; that's a public road. That said, at least rental car companies have restrictions from driving on it, so car insurance may be as well. But it's still a public (toll) road.

Are those prodesign glasses you're wearing? I have a pair on right now

Looked like you had a great time! You did miss the carousel though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Q5 TDI on the Nurburgring