Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Certified - deal or no deal

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 12:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Certified - deal or no deal

I initially looked at the 2014 allroad but my wife didn't think it was very comfortable. She needs good seats and we test drive the Q5 2.0 with sport seats and she loved the lumber support.

Below is two offers I got one is a 2014 certified pre owned TDI and the other is a 2014 new 2.0 premium plus.

Certified Pre Owned
2014 Audi Q5 TDI quattro Tiptronic
Lava Gray
Black interior
Audi MMI Navigation package
Sport interior package
Bang & Olufsen sound system
Current miles: ~6,000
List price: $48,995
Best offer so far $46,888

New 2014
Premium plus
Audi MMI Navigation Plus
Silver
Black interior
Audi guard protection
Bang & Olufsen
Audi assist
19 inch star
Sports interior
Msrp:$49,275
Offer: $46,091

Your thoughts?
Old 07-30-2014, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If I priced it out correctly, the TDI originally stickered for slightly over $53k, so @ $46,888, you're getting the car for almost 12% off sticker, including the CPO warranty which gives you an extra 2 years and 50k miles over the regular warranty (the CPO warranty generally adds about $2k to value of a used Audi). I am diesel-biased, but I would say definitely go for the TDI, esp. if you do a fair amount of highway driving - if you won't be putting many miles on it and use it mostly for short commutes, the benefit of the TDI won't be so great.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, on quick inspection, the diesel (with CPO) looks like a reasonable offering.

(FWIW, we bought a 2015 a few weeks ago, Prem +, for less than either of your examples.)
Old 07-30-2014, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by audi40
If I priced it out correctly, the TDI originally stickered for slightly over $53k, so @ $46,888, you're getting the car for almost 12% off sticker, including the CPO warranty which gives you an extra 2 years and 50k miles over the regular warranty (the CPO warranty generally adds about $2k to value of a used Audi). I am diesel-biased, but I would say definitely go for the TDI, esp. if you do a fair amount of highway driving - if you won't be putting many miles on it and use it mostly for short commutes, the benefit of the TDI won't be so great.
$52795, but close enough -- doesn't really change the overall numbers. (I ordered the nav+sport+B&O combo, only reason I have the specific figure.) For reference on mileage, I picked up my 2014 in October last year (had it just over 9 months) and have 11K miles on it, so the 6K on the TDI seems reasonable at least.

Both have the sport seats so comfort should be the same there, so the rest comes down to driving patterns and what features/performance/mileage/whatever you're looking for. The TDI will be faster, pull harder, and should get better mileage than the 2.0T, but the base price is also higher and if you don't care about any of those things then it might not be "worth it" to you.

Have to agree with everyone, the TDI seems like a pretty decent deal unless those 6K were particularly hard miles for some reason. Seems like it comes down to getting a TDI with extended warranty for the price of a 2.0T, at the cost of someone having 6K miles on it already. 6.5% off the 2.0T doesn't seem too bad either, but at the same time you lose some value from it being a model year old already (but on the flip side if you sell, you'll have lower miles on it comparatively).
Old 07-30-2014, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had a 2002 Audi A4 and moved to a Subaru outback xt (250 hp) turbo but looking forward to getting back into an audi.

I'm likely going to keep the Q5 for about 6-8 years so while buying a 2015 would be better unless I could get into a 2014 for a stellar deal it may not matter based on how long I keep the car. I live in Santa Cruz, CA where having AWD is ideal. The TDI sounds attractive although I haven't driven the TDI yet and an a bit worried about the way it might feel or sound...? No experience with non gas car except a hybrid.

I'm wondering if I could get another $1,500 off both prices and have them throw in the pre-paid service package? What is the audi maintenance package called?

The dealers in CA seem to not be that willing to deal to much and the new car is supposedly $500 over invoice.

@uberwgn... Sounds like you got an awesome deal! Any suggestions on trying to get a better deal on the vehicle? I'm not sure if my dealers are that interested in making great q5 deals as they seem to be coming in with the 2014 still in stock (not many) especially with sports interior.

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Yeah, on quick inspection, the diesel (with CPO) looks like a reasonable offering.

(FWIW, we bought a 2015 a few weeks ago, Prem +, for less than either of your examples.)
Old 07-30-2014, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the TDI - you wont regret it. These engines are so different from the typical diesel so all of the noise/smell issues are really not issues. The torque is awesome and your gas mileage is outstanding.
One thing I would inquire - even though it is "Audi Certified" is the maintenance history from Audi (not carfax which is often incomplete).
Do you see a lot of repairs, oil consumption tests (I seriously doubt it). Any reason why the car was only used for barely a year? I would ask but not be too worried.
Plus Lava Gray is an OUTSTANDING color!!!
Old 07-30-2014, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

&hockeymonkey Thanks for your opinion and questions. I'm strongly leaning toward the cpo TDI. I'm newer with the q5 as I was looking at the allroads and the q5 seems foreign to me.

I haven't met with the dealer in person yet as I began our discussion via the Internet manager. I'm on vacation but thought about contacting them to better understand the history of the car. I believe this was a one owner car but I notice a lot of 2014s in the area appear to be dealer loaners since they have a range of 2,000-7,000 miles...?

The funny thing is the first person I spoke to appears to be an Internet manager but I also got contacted by the same dealer by another person who had the Internet manger title. Strange right?

Originally Posted by Hockeymonkey
Go with the TDI - you wont regret it. These engines are so different from the typical diesel so all of the noise/smell issues are really not issues. The torque is awesome and your gas mileage is outstanding.
One thing I would inquire - even though it is "Audi Certified" is the maintenance history from Audi (not carfax which is often incomplete).
Do you see a lot of repairs, oil consumption tests (I seriously doubt it). Any reason why the car was only used for barely a year? I would ask but not be too worried.
Plus Lava Gray is an OUTSTANDING color!!!