Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Canadian Q5 - traveling to USA - questions...

Old 03-02-2014, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Canadian Q5 - traveling to USA - questions...

Hi everyone,

I've got the 2014 Q5 TDI and will be doing my first roadtrip into the US. Have a few questions:
- The nav and maps will fully work in the USA, correct?
- How can I switch the digital display from km/h to mph?
- Anything else I should know for the inter-country travel?
Old 03-02-2014, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kaitlyn2004
Hi everyone,

I've got the 2014 Q5 TDI and will be doing my first roadtrip into the US. Have a few questions:
- The nav and maps will fully work in the USA, correct?
- How can I switch the digital display from km/h to mph?
- Anything else I should know for the inter-country travel?
1 - Correct
2 - Change the units setting in the MMI Settings to "MPH"(From memory, you enter the MMI Settings by hitting the "Car" button, then selecting the appropriate corner option button)
3 - Before leaving, check with your CC company what zip code you should enter when filling up at a USA gas station.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1&2 were covered.
3. Pronunciation of "sorry" here is "saw ree" not "soar ee" and "about" is "uh bout" not "uh boot." Nobody will know what heck hydro is down here either.

Everything else is uh bout the same. Safe travels!
Old 03-02-2014, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Kaitlyn,
I have no idea if Canada is still using Imperial Gallons but if so, you may be surprised because the US is using a different 'gallon' that is considerably smaller. So when you fill the tank, it may take 20% (?) more "gallons". You may also be surprised to see gasoline prices in mils, thousandths of the dollar, on the pumps. i.e. $3.659 per gallon. For some odd reason, gasoline prices are always shown in mils and always using "9" as the final increment. Mils are legal, although the US has never coined currency smaller than the penny. Ten mils to the penny. And yes, they always round up and in theory over charge you for the fraction of a cent.

Some of our states have traffic laws that may be foreign to you. (Pun intended.) Some require turning on your headlights when the windshield wipers are on in rain, which the Q5 will do automatically. Some also require you to pull one lane to the left, to give a wide berth to any emergency vehicle that is using flashing lights on the right shoulder. Or, to slow down significantly if you can't pull over.

Depending on the state, emergency vehicles may be using red, blue, or both, and white flashers, or any combination of them, while tow trucks, etc. would only be using yellow/amber and/or white. If you should get pulled over for any reason, the protocol is to remain in your car, and preferably to keep your hands on the steering wheel in plain sight.

Highway patrols usually will give you 5mph over the posted speed limit without any trouble, although traffic is often moving 10+ over the posted limits.

Other than those, I can't think of anything that might surprise you, offhand.

Welcome to America. <G>

Last edited by Redd; 03-02-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hope you don't have to see a dealer, but just in case something happens, know that Canadian and the US Audi dealerships take care of each other's customers.

I live in Seattle. Last December when I was visiting Vancouver, BC, the TPMS light came on, so I brought my Q5 into Audi of Richmond the next morning. They checked the car, brought everything up to spec, updated the firmware, all gratis and without an appointment. They already have all my info on their computer, and told me I can bring in my US car to all dealerships in Canada for warranty repairs, etc., just as in the US.

That's something very nice to know.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for credit card zip code. Pain in the *** to have to prepay for a fill up when you have no idea how much it will be.

I had my audi in Tampa over the christmas holidays and had an engine light appear. I took it to the dealer and Audi US WILL do warranty work on Canadian vehicles. They wont service them though.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 14Q5
+1 for credit card zip code. Pain in the *** to have to prepay for a fill up when you have no idea how much it will be.

I had my audi in Tampa over the christmas holidays and had an engine light appear. I took it to the dealer and Audi US WILL do warranty work on Canadian vehicles. They wont service them though.
I subscribe to the George Constanza school of thought when it comes to getting my car serviced at a dealership outside of warranty:

(First 12seconds)
Old 03-03-2014, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Kaitlyn,
I have no idea if Canada is still using Imperial Gallons but if so, you may be surprised because the US is using a different 'gallon' that is considerably smaller. So when you fill the tank, it may take 20% (?) more "gallons". You may also be surprised to see gasoline prices in mils, thousandths of the dollar, on the pumps. i.e. $3.659 per gallon. For some odd reason, gasoline prices are always shown in mils and always using "9" as the final increment. Mils are legal, although the US has never coined currency smaller than the penny. Ten mils to the penny. And yes, they always round up and in theory over charge you for the fraction of a cent.

Some of our states have traffic laws that may be foreign to you. (Pun intended.) Some require turning on your headlights when the windshield wipers are on in rain, which the Q5 will do automatically. Some also require you to pull one lane to the left, to give a wide berth to any emergency vehicle that is using flashing lights on the right shoulder. Or, to slow down significantly if you can't pull over.

Depending on the state, emergency vehicles may be using red, blue, or both, and white flashers, or any combination of them, while tow trucks, etc. would only be using yellow/amber and/or white. If you should get pulled over for any reason, the protocol is to remain in your car, and preferably to keep your hands on the steering wheel in plain sight.

Highway patrols usually will give you 5mph over the posted speed limit without any trouble, although traffic is often moving 10+ over the posted limits.

Other than those, I can't think of anything that might surprise you, offhand.

Welcome to America. <G>
Canada moved to metric in 1976. I'm pretty sure Kaitlyn has never heard of an imperial gallon. It's just the US of A and Liberia not using metric. Oh, and Myanmar too

Last edited by NABS4; 03-03-2014 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Call your insurance company and make sure you are covered out of country!
Old 03-03-2014, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Call your insurance company and make sure you are covered out of country!
No need. All Canadian insurance covers the US, and if you look at your insurance card I think US insurance provides coverage in Canada.

Last edited by NABS4; 03-03-2014 at 07:49 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Canadian Q5 - traveling to USA - questions...