Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Can we talk tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
Tires are most important thing for the car, for me, a savings of $ 300-400 is not worth it. Can save money on other things but not on the tires
Maybe if he skimped a bit on his oil changes he could get better tires.

I don't see why getting decent tires in that price range should be difficult. Just searching on TireRack shows plenty of options that are rated well, and none of those are sketchy brands.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

He is a she.

I mentioned earlier I am not against spending more than 800, I would just like there to be a noticeable benefit in spending the extra money. I know I can find good tires for 800. Is the handling/safety/diminished noise that much better on tires that are 1000-1200? If yes, I am happy to spend the money.

I appreciate the discussion! Thanks!!
Old 07-20-2014, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well if he is a she then well hell if they are black, round and the cheapest go for it. More money for shoes. Lol. I was at discount tire last year and there was a lady in a newer escalade with bald tires. She had two little kids and a LV diaper bag. She was in there wanting the cheapest tires she didn't want to spend her money on anything that cost that much she had better things to do with it. Her words not mine. Tires are one if the most important things on your car. For me tire tack is a huge help. She did get tires but some el cheapOH ones.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Well if he is a she then well hell if they are black, round and the cheapest go for it. More money for shoes. Lol. I was at discount tire last year and there was a lady in a newer escalade with bald tires. She had two little kids and a LV diaper bag. She was in there wanting the cheapest tires she didn't want to spend her money on anything that cost that much she had better things to do with it. Her words not mine. Tires are one if the most important things on your car. For me tire tack is a huge help. She did get tires but some el cheapOH ones.
+1
Old 07-21-2014, 04:24 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default tires?

maybe I'm late to this show but the new Nokian WRG3 SUV 255/50-19 would be on my short list. It's the next tire for my Q5 TDI, soon when the oe rubber is about 50% of it's life.
The WRG3 ((passenger car)) is on our '11 A4 since January and they are as good as you'll find anywhere and top rated in the European community. I feel more confident with this tire than any from before. They are "all-weather", not all-season as our US manufacturers have brain-washed the public into buying.
The next snow storm, go out and take a look at 'stuck' minivans and some SUV's wearing A/S junk spinning their tires in futility on mild elevation grades or spun off the road after losing control on a straight roadway. Yeah we can buy (lease) $50-$75K SUV's and default to the cheapest tires 'AjaczZ GT's' on the market go figure. Sure some of us need to be frugal but this is NOT where to save $100-200 needlessly as it is < $50-100 saved over a 2-3 year period and a huge gamble.
Better yet, check the ratings/reviews at a place like Tirerack.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would replace the tyre(s) with the same original manufacturer of the tyres the car came with from factory. That way you keep the tread the same on all 4 wheels. If you can't get the same brand, then go for Pirellis or Michelin, a brand that's well known.

Tyres are so important for safety and performance, they're the only things between you and the road.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by aTOMic*
Please don't tell anyone on the A8 board but I bought the cheapest reputable tire I could find... Pirelli Scorpion Verde IIRC... Now there are pros and cons

[...]

......There is a big on-ramp which I could take at 55 MPH. At that speed I passed other cars and scared passengers. Just as it should be - everybody would grab handles and stop talking, but 55 was no problem. With the Pirellis I got to 45 and almost slid off the road! (Previous tires were MAX performance summer Venous V12 which were absolutely USELESS in winter)
That's the only "con". They break away predictably and I don't know ho long they'll last with all those sipes, but I like'em. But I'm Italian so full disclosure... I wish they would HOWL a little more as I careen around curves (like the handkoks did) but hey we'll see. Also I think they are not unidirectional so I can **** of the tire place by having them remounted w/every rotatation!
-Tom
I got Verdes to replace my Goodyear Eagle LS2s. Definitely seem to push a lot more (and complain earlier, I squeal a little on some turns that I didn't before), though I've yet to actually break traction so far. I don't know if they actually have less traction than the Eagles or if they're just more "vocal" at this point. May try something else next time as I prefer tires that don't give me any lip about my cornering.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I run Conti DWS on my Q5 and find them adequate for light snow and summer use
Old 07-21-2014, 11:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I run Michelin's on all of my cars.
Very happy with them - good traction and long wearing - and they don't get noisy as they wear like Contis.

I've found that Costco offers the best deals with installation, including nitrogen fill, lifetime flat fix and tire rotation too.
Just about every other month there seem to be a $70 instant rebate on sets of 4.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Ah, man....I'm the she and i'm a bit bummed by your response. I have exactly 3 pairs of shoes. Tennis shoes, sandals, and a nice pair for fancy stuff. I would like really nice shoes for my Q and just wanted a few opinions about the benefit of spending a little bit more money. And who wants to limit themselves to black, no fashion colors out there??

Quick Reply: Can we talk tires?