Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Brand New Q5 with Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Were you around in 2002 when all the ignition coils died

Originally Posted by LBM1126
I purchased a brand new 2014 Q5 2.0 a little more than a week ago. On day 3, I was given a "transmission malfunction" error and unable to put my car in reverse. It had to be towed from my garage to the nearest dealer. After 2 days in the shop, I was told it was a failed mechatronic unit, for which a part had to be ordered from Germany and that would take 7-10 days to get in. It has now been one week since my car was placed in service.

As a new Audi owner, obviously downright frustrated and outraged at this issue of not having a functional vehicle on day 3 of my purchase. I've had little success getting attention from Audi on the matter. The dealer who sold me the car initially said that they would replace the vehicle, then a few days later came back and said Audi told them they could not do that; they would only repair the vehicle and pay my first month's car payment. I was not happy with this response as clearly the car sold to me was faulty and in my mind should be replaced right away given the complete malfunction in less than 72 hours of ownership, and since my car will be in the shop for more than 2 weeks of course they should be paying my car payment because I'm paying for a car for which I do not have possession. I've not received a reply since I expressed my dissatisfaction with these terms to the dealer.

I've got several questions:
1) Is it true that if the mechatronic unit is replaced I shouldn't have concerns with long term issues with this vehicle? Clearly, with the car breaking down in 3 days I don't feel it is exactly reliable. I've driven Toyotas for 12 years and never had to have a car towed.
2) Have others had issues with BRAND NEW Audi's and if so, what measures were taken by Audi to correct the issue? So far, I've been completely disturbed with the level of service I received. Rather than proactively trying to resolve the issue it has been on me to follow up and attempt to find a resolution. I do not think simply paying 1 month of a car payment is fair compensation for the hassle or inconvenience of the issue, particularly since it was 3 DAYS OLD and will now be in service 4X longer than I've actually been able to use the vehicle. The dealer says "it's not our fault" but yet I haven't been able to talk to anyone directly with any authority to remedy the situation.

Any advice is appreciated. Given the level of quality and service I've experienced thus far, I'm honestly wishing I could just send it back and go buy something else. I never would have expected to have more car trouble than I've ever experienced in my life on a brand new car. Clearly, the Audi brand is not all its cracked up to be.
on new 2002+ Audi cars? There was a mojor design defect in the coils. There were none world wide to fix the issue. It took a few months to get the coils and back on the road. It affected 100's of thousands of owners. Cost Audi a $100M in towing charges, hotel stays, rental cars.

Bottom line we didn't get new replacement cars....

I got $200 in Audi dollars to buy over priced items from their catalog. I bought a coat and blanket to keep me warm the next time I wait for the tow truck.

I traded in my 2002 A4 with 60K miles on it (only problems were the two bad coils, failed in the driveway) otherwise flawless, for my 2014 Q5. In all honesty everything about the 2002 A4 exceeds the 2014 Q5, I can't find one thing better with the Q5 over the 2002 A4 except that the Q5 has a SD media card slot.

In fact the tech that tested my car for the trade-in, wrote Excellent!!!, across the review sheet and stated to me "do you really want to get rid of this great car?". I guess that was a hint that the Q5 won't be as great....he was correct.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob, what are your concerns with the Q5 compared with your old A4? Ie; what specifically was better about the A4?
Old 12-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2833564

Details of my experience. I am a longtime Audi owner (since '07) with extensive service history at the purchasing dealership, although this was my first purchase of a new Audi, from them or anyone else. Took a couple of months but they replaced vehicle at no cost to me. It was an unfortunate experience but they definitely made it right in the end.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My 2014 Q5 has now been in service for 2 weeks. I still do not have a resolution from Audi. I have been shuffled back and forth between the dealer and Audi of America. It has been the most frustrating process. Every time I am told something different. Before I was told Audi was making my first car payment and now I have learned that they have not agreed to that. All I am getting out of Audi is that "we're looking into it". The dealer said they ordered a replacement vehicle, but I have no record of the order nor any written agreement that it's coming my way in 4 months or whatever it takes. Given that I've been told conflicting things multiple times, I have no confidence that they actually ordered or will give me the car. Although it's quickly approaching lemon status here in GA (30 days service within 24000 miles). The car has 100 miles on it when it malfunctioned, so chances are they are ultimately going to have to get me a new car anyway but I sure wish they'd deal with this now rather than make me suffer through it.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

My 2014 Q5 has now been in service for 2 weeks. I still do not have a resolution from Audi. I have been shuffled back and forth between the dealer and Audi of America. It has been the most frustrating process. Every time I am told something different. Before I was told Audi was making my first car payment and now I have learned that they have not agreed to that. All I am getting out of Audi is that "we're looking into it". The dealer said they ordered a replacement vehicle, but I have no record of the order nor any written agreement that it's coming my way in 4 months or whatever it takes. Given that I've been told conflicting things multiple times, I have no confidence that they actually ordered or will give me the car. Although it's quickly approaching lemon status here in GA (30 days service within 24000 miles). The car has 100 miles on it when it malfunctioned, so chances are they are ultimately going to have to get me a new car anyway but I sure wish they'd deal with this now rather than make me suffer through it.
Wow, that has got to be totally frustrating! Hang in there and keep us posted on how things play out.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:38 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I sure wish they'd deal with this now rather than make me suffer through it.
+1.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred D
Bob, what are your concerns with the Q5 compared with your old A4? Ie; what specifically was better about the A4?
The A4 had....

1. Better handling/steering feel, ride. The Q's bouncy ride on the intersate makes no sense, why was it designed like this.

2. Better leather material that didn't pucker for 12 years, the Q5 leather puckered the first time I sat in it and the puckers are still there as with all the other seats.

3. Better headlight output and it was a combination of xenon (low beam), halogen (high beam). Q has Xenon.

4. It had a flawless manual trans and clutch, now I have an automatic trans (can't do a honest comparison), but the 8 speed auto trans is a headache.

5. HVAC was better all around, temperature throught out cabin was well maintained.

6. Outside mirror heaters came on with rear diefroster, anytime you wanted them even in summer to dry off the mirrors when raining.

7. 8 heated seats settings, instead of the Q's 3 (feel nothing, slightly warm, burn your ***).

8. Lever actuated manual parking brake, new Q electronic parking brake makes no sense. Lose hydraulics going down a hill and you are doomed, the A4 with the manual PB gave some hope.

9. Full size spare, instead of some super deflated spare that needs a pump to inflate and hope it works when needed.

10. I'm sure there are many others.....Vag-com got rid of some other 6 complaints.

Now don't get me wrong I can live with this Q, compared to other 2014 SUV's it ranks high. My family doesn't drive it as often also as they miss the A4 dearly. We have 3 other cars. The Q only has 1800 miles in 6 months and just isn't the car the family fights for to drive.

I'm starting to look for something new next spring, the Cherokee is the 1st stop.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 12-03-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob, it does sound like the Q5 just hasn't met your expectations and probably best to move on as soon as you decide it's time.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
I'm starting to look for something new next spring, the Cherokee is the 1st stop.
Do you really need/want an SUV? If you can live without it, just get a sedan...

By the way, the Cherokee is a completely new model that just came out with a new drivetrain. Jeep had a hard time fixing the 9-speed transmission programming, and meanwhile the cars were accumulating in the factory lots. I wouldn't be quick to buy this vehicle - wait until it's debugged and proven. Also, check if you have good Jeep dealership service departments in your area.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by visualguy
Unfortunate, but should be ok if the technician who replaces it does a good job.

One thing I don't understand is why parts need to be shipped from Germany so frequently even for big sellers like the Q5. In the 20 years that I owned cars made in Japan, parts never had to be shipped from Japan when I needed them. They were always stocked in the US, and the dealers were always able to get them within a day or two.
my experience has been that the local N.O. dealer stocks very few parts - 3 that i remember, front license delete had to be ordered after the replaced one was in worse shape than the original. no rear strut in stock and some sort of exhaust brackets had to be ordered. I think they only stock oil and filters nowadays. have also gotten back receipts for attempted warranty repairs with incorrect mileage stated and diagnosis/work done or attempted that were completely incorrect and totally different from what I had been told during the few status calls i received from the service dept. good luck!

Quick Reply: Brand New Q5 with Issues