Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Brand New Q5 with Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

I'm sorry to hear for your problems.

Mechatronic unit is full of electronics simply happened that some processor or resistor burned out, of course this is happening with electronic devices.
I hope that your car will be repaired quickly
Old 11-25-2013, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
You forget that in the U.S. there are factories of Japanese cars.
Audi does not have a factory in America
In Europe, on certain parts for Japanese cars waiting 15-20 days, and sometimes longer

For parts of American cars on the European market ..... better not to know
All the Japanese cars that I owned were made in Japan, and never made by US plants, so this has nothing to do with Japanese cars made in the US. They simply handle spare parts distribution in the US better than the Germans...
Old 11-25-2013, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by visualguy
All the Japanese cars that I owned were made in Japan, and never made by US plants, so this has nothing to do with Japanese cars made in the US. They simply handle spare parts distribution in the US better than the Germans...
Maybe in America but not in the rest of the world

It depends on which parts

My friend is for his Impreza WRX STi (6 months old) waiting for a new engine 2 months

Last edited by spijun; 11-25-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disappointing to have an issue so soon. I know how that feels. Was driving home in my brand new Lexus ES 300 from taking delivery at the dealership when the transmission sounded like it had exploded when it kicked-down for a pass on a hill. Scared the daylights out of me. So, I turned around and went back to the dealership. They took the keys and asked me to select another car. Seems Lexus had a few units with seriously faulty transmissions. There wasn't a "twin" on the lot so i had to settle for a different color selection. Stunning. Replacing the trans was not an option…..Lexus wanted the car back.

Asking you to wait for a part, giving you a loaner and one month's payment seems more than fair to me for your inconvenience. No worries, Audi will make it right, and you'll have many miles of satisfactory ownership after this little issue is resolved.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

For the record, I am not demanding a new car. I was told after 2 days in service after they called to say a new mechatronic unit would have to be ordered from Germany to repair the car (a minimum 12-15 day service period), the dealer told me they were looking for a replacement vehicle for me. 2-3 days later, I called back because I had not heard anything. Then they tell me Audi will not "let them" replace the vehicle, and that's when they said they would make the first payment. Had they told me this up front, it would have been much better received than telling me after they had already told me they were in the process of procuring a replacement vehicle. Secondly, they coupled this with the message of "it's not our fault" and "we ordered a replacement vehicle - 4 month process - just in case you have other issues". That doesn't give me the "warm fuzzies" that I will have a car without future issues. From what I am reading online, mechatronic units do not always fix the problem and what I'm seeing is more 20-25 day service periods.Georgia law is 30 days in service within the first 24,000 miles... so essentially if anything else occurs on the vehicle within the first two years they will likely be legally required to replace it anyway.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am expecting to take delivery of my Q5 in Dec. Could you inbox me which dealer you used in GA? Sorry about your issue!
Old 11-26-2013, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LBM1126
For the record, I am not demanding a new car. I was told after 2 days in service after they called to say a new mechatronic unit would have to be ordered from Germany to repair the car (a minimum 12-15 day service period), the dealer told me they were looking for a replacement vehicle for me. 2-3 days later, I called back because I had not heard anything. Then they tell me Audi will not "let them" replace the vehicle, and that's when they said they would make the first payment. Had they told me this up front, it would have been much better received than telling me after they had already told me they were in the process of procuring a replacement vehicle. Secondly, they coupled this with the message of "it's not our fault" and "we ordered a replacement vehicle - 4 month process - just in case you have other issues". That doesn't give me the "warm fuzzies" that I will have a car without future issues. From what I am reading online, mechatronic units do not always fix the problem and what I'm seeing is more 20-25 day service periods.Georgia law is 30 days in service within the first 24,000 miles... so essentially if anything else occurs on the vehicle within the first two years they will likely be legally required to replace it anyway.
This is ridiculous. I really hope Audi steps it up here. Sorry, but I haven't read through all of the posts, but what has the general manager said about this? Hopefully they loan you an SQ5 for your trouble.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand your frustration on a new car. It can leave a bad taste in your mouth. But as a business, I think asking for Audi to give you a new car is not appropriate.

You can never tell when something is going to break or go bad on a car. It's a piece of machinery.

The next one could drop a tranny at 4000 miles.

If Audi is paying your 1st car payment and giving you a loaner, then I think that's reasonable.

Lemon laws are for multiple incedents and it doesn't apply to 1 unfortuate problem.

If it happens 3 times in the next 3 months. That might be a different story.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

This must be so frustrating for you. I know I would be really upset too if my brand new vehicle had an issue like this.

Taking a step back, if the dealer is making your first payment for you and the part fixes your vehicle, then in the end this will be a somewhat minor inconvenience. However, if you continue to have issues, then you will be more than half way to the 30 days of service within the first 24,000 miles and you will be able to use the lemon law. Only time will tell...

One thing you might be able to try is when it gets closer to the time when your vehicle will be ready is to talk to the manager and explain in a calm manner how this experience has taken away the joy and excitement of a new car delivery. Explain how your confidence that your new Audi will be dependable enjoyable transportation is very low. Let him know how this experience has made you feel. Then tell him about a couple of accessories that you would like for your new Audi. Ask him if he can give you a special deal on these accessories. Let him know this would go a long way in restoring the joy and excitement that a new car should bring. I bet the dealer will give you a great price on these accessories.

Again, I understand your frustration and hope things work out well for you.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The fact that the part needed to be ordered is a good sign that this is not a common problem. You were the unlucky one here but it must not happen that often to keep them in stock.

Quick Reply: Brand New Q5 with Issues