Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Block Heater Q5

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
If you don't know what it is, you live somewhere warm.

It's a heating element which is installed in the water jacket of the engine. "Block" refers to the engine block.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

If you don't know what it is, you live somewhere warm.
It's a heating element which is installed in the water jacket of the engine. "Block" refers to the engine block.
I live where the winter temperature is -15 and I've never heard of something like
Audi, BMW and Mercedes do not have anything similar

This does not exist even in Finland and Sweden, which have cold winters
Old 11-22-2012, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
I live where the winter temperature is -15 and I've never heard of something like

My father has been driving Volvos since 1967 and they have come standard on them since then, when destined for certain parts of Canada. Since synthetic oil is now widely used, most Euro manufacturers haven't been making them available. Most NA/Japanese manufacturers factory install block heaters (location dependent) and they've be common here for the last 50+ years. Just because you've never heard of it, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My father has been driving Volvos since 1967 and they have come standard on them since then, when destined for certain parts of Canada. Since synthetic oil is now widely used, most Euro manufacturers haven't been making them available. Most NA/Japanese manufacturers factory install block heaters (location dependent) and they've be common here for the last 50+ years. Just because you've never heard of it, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
I did not written nowhere that there are not but only that I have not heard of this
Means what you have written is not true If you do not know what it is, you live somewhere warm.

Last edited by spijun; 11-22-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I did not written nowhere that there are not but only that I have not heard of this
Means what you have written is not true If you do not know what it is, you live somewhere warm.
In North America, if you live somewhere cold, you know what a block heater is. I guess it depends on your definition of "cold". Better?
Old 11-22-2012, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

In North America, if you live somewhere cold, you know what a block heater is. I guess it depends on your definition of "cold". Better?
Do not be nervous.
It's cold in Europe and the temperature can be -25C (Celsius) =-13F (Fahrenheit)
Enjoy life
Old 11-23-2012, 01:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

So according to NABS4, we should be neighbors
Old 11-23-2012, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by amkmeco90
So according to NABS4, we should be neighbors
World is relatively small, who knows.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glaforest
Looking to buy a block heater for my Q5, anyone knows where to buy ? also an air deflector for hood.
I will avoid the bickering and just give you a straight forward answer. If you live in North America there is a company called Wolverine that makes great oil pan heaters at great prices. Here is their website http://www.wolverineheater.com/default.asp
Our service manager installed one on his TDI Jetta on his lunch break and has been using it for two winters with zero complaints. Hope this helps. Stay warm out there!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, that's somewhere warm . I typically don't worry about it until my car is going to be parked for more than a couple hours in temperatures below -20°C.

That said, when I expressed surprise to the dealer that my Q5 didn't come equipped with a pan heater, they said they don't do them on any models with the longitudinal 2.0T engine. Those of you who had a dealer install a pan heater, is it an Audi part, or an aftermarket heater?

Quick Reply: Block Heater Q5