Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Is is because it is a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Is is because it is a Porsche?

I received my new Automobile and Car & Driver magazines Monday. Both magazines had articles about the new Porsche Macan. The pieces, unlike the recent SQ5 "short takes" were expansive. Now, then, I do get that the VW group pecking order has Porsche above Audi. I even agree that if Audi is "premium" then Porsche has earned the designation of "super-premium."

But, both articles (moreso in the Automobile magazine piece) mentioned that the "donor" car was a Q5 and that 1/3rd of the Q5 remained in the Macan. A 2/3rds overhaul of the Q5/SQ5 is hardly trivial. And the price of the Macan even is S trim can easily be run up to $70,000+ without to many ticks of the optional equipment boxes.

If performance is worth mentioning, the Macan seems to be praised for its 5.2 seconds 0-100kph time. The Audi SQ5 does it in 5.1 seconds. The Macan S needs a package that costs an additional $1,290 to make the run time drop to 5.0 seconds.

The SQ5 (in the US) retains the Q5's ride height, while the US Macan will be lower (note, the European SQ5 is also lower, but the height is maintained for the US to allow Audi to keep the SQ5's designation as a "truck" thus helping the company with their CAFE ratings.)

Listen, before I go off on a rant -- really an unnecessary rant -- it just somewhat confuses and pisses me off that the write up of the SQ5, while generally positive and perhaps some would say complimentary, lacked a bit of the OOO and AHHH factor one would have expected for a real "hot CUV" -- ride height or no ride height drop.

Moreover, the ease at which one can get a Macan to soar toward $100,000 (MSRP) is breathtaking, whereas it is damn near impossible to get an SQ5 no matter how many options are tacked on to hit $70,000.

If Audi offers up the Sport Differential (torque vectoring) option next year (and holds the price to a number beginning with a "1"), I would think a "price dependent comparison test" between the two might point to the common origins of the two models, rather than dis by omission the Audi.

Hell yes, I'd take a Macan -- I might even consider buying one, but I know I would pay more, perhaps 5 figures more for better performance and perhaps even better lux, but I would at least want to make certain I knew from what "humble" beginnings (as if an SQ5 is humble) my Macan came from.

OH YEA: of course I'm on a minor rant, my wife has a 2014 SQ5 Prestige with the fine Nappa leather (red) option and that sparkly black panther paint with the shiny purple underwear.

After I get to drive her SQ5 the only car that doesn't feel like it's broken is my '14 S4.

If I had a magic wand, I would only want the SQ5 to have that fantastic 7-speed S-Tronic transmission. Other than that it seems like it IS a contender.

Drive it like you live.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple post is it is probably because the SQ5 is mostly a Q5 which didn't get a major redesign. Where as the Macan is new car in a new segment for Porsche.

I actually priced a Macan out at around $64k, that I could live with. Not too bad IMHO. But I'm scared of the service cost of an Audi. I'm terrified of the service cost of a Porsche! Also it seemed August was the soonest I would be able to get one.

Ron Kiino at Motor Trend did write a whole page article, basically about how much he loved the SQ5. And the whole team at MT mostly raved about how great the car was during the SUV of the year video on YouTube. So it did get some attention. And to be honest it was MT that drew my attention to the car. And I eventually ordered one. I wish I had pulled the trigger earlier but I wasn't sure about which one of my cars I wanted to replace.

You all have probably seen it, but here it is article online.
http://blogs.motortrend.com/1312_kii...the_night.html

Last edited by ColdBrew; 04-02-2014 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Posting with a phone is too hard I'll finish my thought later.

EDIT: I finished my thought above.

Last edited by ColdBrew; 04-02-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Since the current Q5 is now in its 6th, going on 7th model year, the SQ5 probably didn't get as much press as a brand new model from Porsche.

I suppose when the next gen Q5 debuts there will be more coverage, write ups etc.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Is it because it is a Porsche?

Yes.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
Since the current Q5 is now in its 6th, going on 7th model year, the SQ5 probably didn't get as much press as a brand new model from Porsche.

I suppose when the next gen Q5 debuts there will be more coverage, write ups etc.
I have to agree.

To the OP, I also was wondering why you call the Q5 a CUV? I have looked all over the Audi site and can't find that reference anywhere. Are you saying your Q5 is a "cute" utility vehicle or am I missing something here?
Old 04-01-2014, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I thought CUV referred to a crossover utility vehicle. It does seem like most manufacturers like to give their entries other catcy titles like SAV etc.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaBlue
I have to agree.

To the OP, I also was wondering why you call the Q5 a CUV? I have looked all over the Audi site and can't find that reference anywhere. Are you saying your Q5 is a "cute" utility vehicle or am I missing something here?
The term CUV, I am led to believe, means the vehicle is not based on a truck but on an car -- those based on trucks typically get the name SUV.

Crossover Utility Vehicle seems appropriate for the SQ and the Q5's.

And, yeah, I get that the issue IS that is it a Porsche. At the S vs the SQ level (base), the SQ5 seems to be such a bargain for the performance, however.

I also understand you often do get what you pay for.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

While the Macan in either S or Turbo clothing is far far too expensive for what it is in comparison to an SQ5, you can't deny it is a serious performer that adds a lot, even if the S doesn't beat an SQ5 in 0-60. If the SQ5 came with optional sport rear diff and standard S-tronic, that would really be something. The 8sp autobox is about as good as it gets for a torque converter, but it just ain't the same. Also, for a CUV, the SQ5 is really a little more truck in comparison to the Macan. All that said, I wouldn't want to pay $70k+ for an equally equipped Macan S, and the Turbo with options is just nuts expensive for my finances. I like my SQ5 for what it is, but I have no doubts I would be happier with a Macan Turbo loaded up with options such as PTV, air suspension...
Old 04-01-2014, 06:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be very surprised if Audi ever offers the sport diff in the SQ5, but it sure would be fun to have for winter driving. This thing understeers like crazy unless you fake out the stability control. The 7 speed DSG would be great too but I've really warmed up to the auto, especially in manual mode. It's a very nice match to this engine. I do wish that they'd included a throttle blip on downshifts though.

Last edited by TopCarbon; 04-01-2014 at 06:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Is is because it is a Porsche?