Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Another tow hitch question

Old 04-02-2014, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another tow hitch question

I am looking for a hitch but do not want to spend the money for an OEM version. What are the best and cheapest alternatives? Mainly to haul around 2 bikes.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2014, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Motorbikes or bicycles?
Old 04-02-2014, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oudimon
I am looking for a hitch but do not want to spend the money for an OEM version. What are the best and cheapest alternatives? Mainly to haul around 2 bikes.

Thanks
Lots of info available on this. The search tool is your friend.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Oudimon

Thanks
Assuming you are asking about bicycles and you have not yet tried the search tool; try to give us a bit more information. The best is one thing, the cheapest is something else.

You will want to consider the type of bicycles you are hauling- are these carbon fiber or high end road bikes? Wal mart specials?

Trailer hitches can come in 2 and 1 1/4 inch sizes, you will want to find a bike rack that will fit in the size hitch you choose. You do not have to have the electronics associated with a hitch that is going to haul a trailer, if your plan is to haul only bikes.

Get back to us with some more specifics and perhaps there are some who can be more helpful.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was actually looking into this as well, from some initial research, there seems to be two alternatives for low cost aftermarket Q5 hitches...

Option 1:
Reese 44654. About $175 shipped on Amazon.

(AKA HiddenHitch 87603, DrawTite 75708). Cequent Performance manufactures all three of these brands, three identical hitches marketed under three different brands. I've used their products in the past and they have always been top quality products.
Option 2:
Curt 13136. About $138 shipped on Amazon.
The Reese/Hidden/Drawtite looks a bit beefier than the Curt hitch. The rear portion of these hitches seem to mount to the same points, but the Reese extends forward to the frame rail while the Curt attaches to the bottom of the trunk pan...

Install instructions for Reese here:

Install instructions for Curt here:

I'm leaning towards the Reese... $175 shipped is an awesome price and I like the way it mounts better than the Curt.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you check this one?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2860537
Old 04-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
I was actually looking into this as well, from some initial research, there seems to be two alternatives for low cost aftermarket Q5 hitches...

Option 1:
Reese 44654. About $175 shipped on Amazon.

(AKA HiddenHitch 87603, DrawTite 75708). Cequent Performance manufactures all three of these brands, three identical hitches marketed under three different brands. I've used their products in the past and they have always been top quality products.
Option 2:
Curt 13136. About $138 shipped on Amazon.
The Reese/Hidden/Drawtite looks a bit beefier than the Curt hitch. The rear portion of these hitches seem to mount to the same points, but the Reese extends forward to the frame rail while the Curt attaches to the bottom of the trunk pan...

Install instructions for Reese here:

Install instructions for Curt here:

I'm leaning towards the Reese... $175 shipped is an awesome price and I like the way it mounts better than the Curt.
I had the Curt and hauled two bikes one of these:

The nice thing was that when the rack was on, though in the down position, you could still open the back gate. I don't think this would be possible with the factory rack since the mount point is higher up in the bumper.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

I can confirm the Kuat rack works with the factory installed hitch; meaning the rear lift gate will open with the Kuat rack in the down, or lowered, position.

For the record, I had a 2 inch factory installed hitch to my Q5. Without the electronics harness, the dealer installed the hitch at what I thought was a reasonable price (I believe it was $700).

As you may, or may not, know the factory hitch does mount to the Q5 higher, or further off the ground, then some other after market hitches. This requires a 'cut out' in the plate on the Q5 bumper. Each person needs to figure out what they need for clearance and functionality of the hitch.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Road bikes or MTB ridden mostly on roads? If so take off the front wheels and put them in the back, with the rear seats folded. Put a blanket between them to keep them from rubbing and marring. Wheels in wheel bags.