Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi is updating MMI in 2015 for Apple & Android

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't see any special "power" in iOS, just a little more attention to detail in the way it handles task switching. Of course, as you no doubt recall, the same attention to detail also made it unable to multitask AT ALL for quite a long time.

When the first Fat Mac came out everyone went goo goo about having sixteen (?) fonts available on it. I yawned and said that's nice, I'm using 250 on my PC. Under DOS, or CP/M, as I chose. And driving a professional imagesetter with it, that totally blew away the Mac's crude wysiwyg capabilities.

Apple stuff impresses (no offense) the folks who can't deal with looking under the hood. All great and good if you don't want to look under the hood, but that also prevents you from accessing anything for better or worse. I've worked three platforms (Wintel, Apple, Unix) for a long time and anyone who thinks any one of them is "superior" just doesn't know what the other two can do. (Android being four now, although Android is more of an environment than an OS of its own.)

Now, I'll give Apple credit for having the forethought to make their OS a bit more hardware-agnostic than Android. I can appreciate the idea of "you don't have to screw around with hardware details every time the hardware changes". With some adult supervision and history classes, the kids at Google could be taught to do the same thing.

But really, using security screws to make sure I can't change or remove my own battery? That's the kind of move Audi would make. A true insult to the customer.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
jb-
http://explore.t-mobile.com/test-drive-free-trial
Extensively advertised free trial program in the US market.
Ah, thanks!
Old 07-01-2014, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
I don't see any special "power" in iOS, just a little more attention to detail in the way it handles task switching. Of course, as you no doubt recall, the same attention to detail also made it unable to multitask AT ALL for quite a long time.

When the first Fat Mac came out everyone went goo goo about having sixteen (?) fonts available on it. I yawned and said that's nice, I'm using 250 on my PC. Under DOS, or CP/M, as I chose. And driving a professional imagesetter with it, that totally blew away the Mac's crude wysiwyg capabilities.

Apple stuff impresses (no offense) the folks who can't deal with looking under the hood. All great and good if you don't want to look under the hood, but that also prevents you from accessing anything for better or worse. I've worked three platforms (Wintel, Apple, Unix) for a long time and anyone who thinks any one of them is "superior" just doesn't know what the other two can do. (Android being four now, although Android is more of an environment than an OS of its own.)

Now, I'll give Apple credit for having the forethought to make their OS a bit more hardware-agnostic than Android. I can appreciate the idea of "you don't have to screw around with hardware details every time the hardware changes". With some adult supervision and history classes, the kids at Google could be taught to do the same thing.

But really, using security screws to make sure I can't change or remove my own battery? That's the kind of move Audi would make. A true insult to the customer.
Agree with that
Old 07-10-2015, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any chance for my 2015 A3 to be able to update to have carplay once available? Or would it need new hardware