Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi is updating MMI in 2015 for Apple & Android

Old 06-30-2014, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason I was asking if this would be a possible upgrade (not a $5,000 one - as much as I'd want CarPlay in my S6, I'm not dropping that kind of cash to get it done) is because Pioneer has a firmware update for at least one of their systems to enable CarPlay. The system did not work with CarPlay before, but with the firmware update, it will.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ou+Already+Own

Not saying that Audi would do this, but I would imagine that it's technically possible if they want to do it, at least for newer-generation infotainment systems as are in the A8/S8/A6/S6/A7/S7/RS 7/A3/S3. If not, that's fine, but disappointing. My system is not 2005 or 2007-vintage technology, though (2011/2012?)
Old 06-30-2014, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Of course that's without any announcement from Pioneer as to what the update will cost. Don't they (like most brands) charge something like $200 a pop to update the maps once per year? As opposed to $75 for life 4x per year from Garmin, often the same Navteq sourced maps?

How old the technology is, depends on what's inside the box. "3G" cell? and date? or 2G? SD? or SDXC? Going forward these can be problems, as 2G gets discontinued, the same way analog (most car phones) got dropped. An old dedicated 3-watt analog car phone would outperform a 600mW cell phone every time, but the carriers wanted more profit.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Firebird400
The reason I was asking if this would be a possible upgrade (not a $5,000 one - as much as I'd want CarPlay in my S6, I'm not dropping that kind of cash to get it done) is because Pioneer has a firmware update for at least one of their systems to enable CarPlay. The system did not work with CarPlay before, but with the firmware update, it will.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ou+Already+Own

Not saying that Audi would do this, but I would imagine that it's technically possible if they want to do it, at least for newer-generation infotainment systems as are in the A8/S8/A6/S6/A7/S7/RS 7/A3/S3. If not, that's fine, but disappointing. My system is not 2005 or 2007-vintage technology, though (2011/2012?)
I'm driving the Audi more than 20 years and have never seen or heard that Audi in existing models upgraded with software or hardware from new models
Old 06-30-2014, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Of course that's without any announcement from Pioneer as to what the update will cost. Don't they (like most brands) charge something like $200 a pop to update the maps once per year? As opposed to $75 for life 4x per year from Garmin, often the same Navteq sourced maps?
The firmware update (on a very expensive Pioneer head unit) is apparently free.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...527-story.html

Originally Posted by spijun
I'm driving the Audi more than 20 years and have never seen or heard that Audi in existing models upgraded with software or hardware from new models
OK.

On a related note, I found this to be interesting, affirming that it would require more than a firmware update to add CarPlay even if Audi wanted to do so (emphasis below is mine).

In addressing the entry cost for aftermarket CarPlay support, Cardenas acknowledges that the current $700-$1400 range for Pioneer's NEX series is higher than many consumers would like to see. But CarPlay requires robust technology, and the multi-core processors, significant RAM and onboard storage, and touchscreens needed in NEX systems for the feature all contribute to driving costs up. Pioneer is certainly looking to bring down that entry price for CarPlay-compatible systems and drive further expansion of the technology, but the company understandably won't have anything to announce on that front until after the CarPlay firmware update is delivered to the first wave of Pioneer products.
Source: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/24/...lay-interview/
Old 06-30-2014, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

A free upgrade is smart. (If only Pioneer were smart enough to mention that on their own web site as well.)

As to how expensive all the necessary guts must be....Yeah yeah, heard that one before. Apple and everyone else including the carriers keep telling me how expensive it is to make their cell phones, when other industry sources say the very finest phones cost ~$200 tops to make.

I know what I can buy a brand name Apple or Android 7" tablet for, so add in another hundred bucks for the car stereo side of things...Yeah yeah, right, a Carplay stereo must be terribly expensive. Same way their nav systems have to cost 10x what a Magellan or Garmin costs.

It's that plastic bezel that fairs everything into the dashboard. That's the component that costs so many hundreds of dollars to hand fit, mill, and polish. No, really.(G)

On the bright side though, I took advantage of TMob's "7nightstand" free program this week. An iphone 5s with service for a week, no catches. And I'm semi-impressed. Not with the tiny text on the iphone screen, or the memory limits or the sealed battery, but I'm impressed with the way that the iOS just does what it is told to do. Unlike Android, which always finds a way to go out to lunch. "Yeah, I know, you pressed something. Hold on and I'll get around to looking into that."

Didn't see that happen once on the iPhone. They might yet get my business.

Last edited by Redd; 06-30-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A free upgrade is smart. (If only Pioneer were smart enough to mention that on their own web site as well.)

As to how expensive all the necessary guts must be....Yeah yeah, heard that one before. Apple and everyone else including the carriers keep telling me how expensive it is to make their cell phones, when other industry sources say the very finest phones cost ~$200 tops to make.

I know what I can buy a brand name Apple or Android 7" tablet for, so add in another hundred bucks for the car stereo side of things...Yeah yeah, right, a Carplay stereo must be terribly expensive. Same way their nav systems have to cost 10x what a Magellan or Garmin costs.

It's that plastic bezel that fairs everything into the dashboard. That's the component that costs so many hundreds of dollars to hand fit, mill, and polish. No, really.(G)

On the bright side though, I took advantage of TMob's "7nightstand" free program this week. An iphone 5s with service for a week, no catches. And I'm semi-impressed. Not with the tiny text on the iphone screen, or the memory limits or the sealed battery, but I'm impressed with the way that the iOS just does what it is told to do. Unlike Android, which always finds a way to go out to lunch. "Yeah, I know, you pressed something. Hold on and I'll get around to looking into that."

What is this 7nightstand you speak of?
Old 07-01-2014, 01:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by - B -
I just saw this news from Audi.......

Apparently Audi is updating MMI so the user may choose which InCar Operating System to utilize, Apple's CarPlay or Google's Android.

Does anyone know if this will be available to 2014 MMI owners?
Maybe I should have held off ordering my new Q5 until after 2015. I would hope that possibly someone could release a hardware interface that links the iPhone to the MMI usb port and that would provide CarPlay support. But I sadly think this won't happen.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

jb-
http://explore.t-mobile.com/test-drive-free-trial
Extensively advertised free trial program in the US market.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No offense but you are just now realizing the power of iOS? It's not about how many gb, ghz, gigawhatever, it's about the user experience and nobody does it like Apple. Better late than never, some never realize
Old 07-01-2014, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by DM-S4
No offense but you are just now realizing the power of iOS? It's not about how many gb, ghz, gigawhatever, it's about the user experience and nobody does it like Apple. Better late than never, some never realize
LOL it means 90% (or more)of the world's population that does not use iOS

Last edited by spijun; 07-01-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi is updating MMI in 2015 for Apple & Android