Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi is updating MMI in 2015 for Apple & Android

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 01:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi is updating MMI in 2015 for Apple & Android

I just saw this news from Audi....... https://www.audi-mediaservices.com/p...s_android.html

Press release

Silicon Valley / Ingolstadt, 2014-06-26
Audi brings Android and iOS into cars
Intensive development work with Google and Apple
New functions available in the first Audi models starting in 2015
Milestone in smartphone integration

Audi is bringing the Google Android Auto and Apple CarPlay software platforms into cars. Major functions will be integrated into the Audi Multi Media Interface (MMI) in the future.

“Our customers want to be ‘always on’ and use the services they know from their smartphones in cars as well,” says Prof. Dr. Ulrich Hackenberg, Board Member for Technical Development at AUDI AG. “In this regard, we are working closely with leading companies like Google and Apple. In the future, customers will be able to use the functions available to them on their smartphones via the operating systems in their cars as well. User friendliness and low distraction are important parameters for integrating these functions. Data security also plays a vital role. We are separating the vehicle-related functions from the infotainment features, thereby securing the data against unauthorized access. The customer has to give express consent for the use of data generated in the vehicle,” he continues.

Audi is the only premium automotive manufacturer to be a founding member of the Google Open Automotive Alliance (OAA). This cooperation was launched in early 2014 with the goal of integrating the Android platform and its apps into cars under the “Android Auto” banner. Initial results are already available in the form of services such as navigation via Google Maps and the streaming service Google Play Music.

Integration of CarPlay is also taking place through intensive dialog between the Audi development lab in Silicon Valley and Apple.

This close cooperation enables optimum integration of the two most widespread smartphone platforms into the Audi MMI. Customers will be able to choose at any time which of these platforms they wish to use in their cars.

Apparently Audi is updating MMI so the user may choose which InCar Operating System to utilize, Apple's CarPlay or Google's Android.

Does anyone know if this will be available to 2014 MMI owners?

Last edited by - B -; 07-01-2014 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Added Audi Press Release / Edited for duplicates
Old 06-27-2014, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

This is for the new models MMI , not for existing model MMI

Major functions will be integrated into the Audi Multi Media Interface (MMI) in the future.
As the 4G LTE in the new A3/S3
Old 06-27-2014, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

The news here is Audi is planning on incorporating Apple Car Play in addition to the Google in car system that Audi announced last January. In any case, the initial implementations would not be until MY2016 and it's not clear which models would first offer either or both of the systems. It's highly unlikely either could be retrofiitted to current models without extensive hardware and software revisions. We'll have to wait for further developments.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any possibility of a software update to bring CarPlay compatibility to older-generation MMI, as in my C7 S6? That would be so awesome.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 69Firebird400
Any possibility of a software update to bring CarPlay compatibility to older-generation MMI, as in my C7 S6? That would be so awesome.
It is impossible, because it CarPlay for the Audi still does not exist.
When it appears you need new hardware. (4-5,000$ )

Last edited by spijun; 06-28-2014 at 02:27 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
It is impossible, because it CarPlay for the Audi still does not exist.
When it appears you need new hardware. (4-5,000$ )
Nothing is impossible if you have unlimited funds. For example, if I wanted to (I don't), I could swap out my A6 3.0T engine for a 4.2T. All it would take is lots of work and a huge amount of money.

When Apple Car Play/Google in car arrives, someone, somewhere, will undoubtedly figure it out and spend the money/effort to make the update. Will it make sense? Who knows - that's a different question.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Nothing is impossible if you have unlimited funds. For example, if I wanted to (I don't), I could swap out my A6 3.0T engine for a 4.2T. All it would take is lots of work and a huge amount of money.

When Apple Car Play/Google in car arrives, someone, somewhere, will undoubtedly figure it out and spend the money/effort to make the update. Will it make sense? Who knows - that's a different question.
I think you misunderstood me. Of course it's everything possible
I know a man who has invested more than 15,000 euros ($20,000)to modifications to its A4

It's impossible now, because there is no CarPlay for the Audi now

When it appears you need new hardware. ($ 4,000-5,000 )

Last edited by spijun; 06-28-2014 at 04:39 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
I think you misunderstood me. Of course it's everything possible

It's impossible right now, because there is no CarPlay for the Audi now

When it appears you need new hardware. ($ 4,000-5,000 )
Why are you assuming new hardware will be required? CarPlay is only software that runs on QNX systems, which MMI is.....There may be an extra mic or two when they debut, but hardly a completely new system (apart from new software capabilities or as Audi says in the press release, "functions").....

After doing some research I found that it is very possible that the 3G+ MMI, which 2013+ Q5's have, will be able to be updated to accommodate CarPlay, and may be even a 4G update, but we'll have to wait and see till the system is actually updated......but I found nothing which would merit the notion that a new MMI would be required, at least not right now....

Last edited by - B -; 06-28-2014 at 05:13 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by - B -
Why are you assuming new hardware will be required? CarPlay is only software that runs on QNX systems, which MMI is.....There may be an extra mic or two when they debut, but hardly a completely new system (apart from new software capabilities or as Audi says in the press release, "functions").....

After doing some research I found that it is very possible that the 3G+ MMI, which 2013+ Q5's have, will be able to be updated to accommodate CarPlay, and may be even a 4G update, but we'll have to wait and see till the system is actually updated......but I found nothing which would merit the notion that a new MMI would be required, at least not right now....
FYI MMI system in the Q5 is outdated, it's the 2007
Explain why it is not possible to upgrade the software MY2009-2012, that is has functionality as MY2013-2015
MY2009-2012 has different hardware from MY2013 course software upgrade from MY2013 to MY2009-2012 is not possible - possible only if you replace the hardware

Software upgrade to 4G ?????? - You must be kidding. Please explain how (4G is 5-10 times faster than 3G)

Can you install Windows 8 on a computer from a 2007, maybe can, you can use it - not

PS: New hardware is probably on Nvidia-based MMI hardware, which was unveiled at CES 2014

Last edited by spijun; 06-28-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"Does anyone know if this will be available to 2014 MMI owners? "

Haha, yes, of course it will be. Just take your car to the dealer and he can replace it with a 2015 model.

All new hardware with a new CPU and new touchscreen and new whatever else will be required, that's obvious to anyone who has been following the telematics news this year. Of course, if Audi simply used a standard double-DIN radio package, you could update the "radio" instead of trading in the car. But that would negatively impact their sales.

Since the 2014 radio package complies to standards that were obsoleted in 2009 or earlier (i.e. when SDHC was obsoleted by SDXC)...really, we've got 2009 model year radios.

You might want to wait for the 2016 models though. Google is one of those companies that is always in need of adult supervision, an interesting contrast to Audi's parental mandates. I'd be surprised if the first year of their telematics package wasn't heavily revised by the second year. (Like Android, where "upgrading" any applet in the OS means buying all new hardware with an all-new OS, because none of it is modular.)

Quick Reply: Audi is updating MMI in 2015 for Apple & Android