Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Q5 Subwoofer swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Q5 Subwoofer swap

Hello,

I have a 2012 Q5 S Line. I have the B&O Sounds system and was wondering it I can get a subwoofer with a little more bass in there without messing around to much.

http://www.crutchfield.ca/jl_audio_6.../1366w3v38.htm

Would this subwoofer work? Are the ohms (8 or 4 ohms?) and wattage correct? What about the depth for where it is currently mounted? Would it sound proper?

Its easy enough to swap them out, just dont wanna screw the system up.

Thoughts???
Old 10-15-2011, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I would hate to touch anything except the volume with my B&O system. With all of the work that went into it from both Audi and B&O from a tuning perspective, changing anything will throw off the balance they worked so hard to achieve (and you paid for).

I have the Bose "upgrade" in my Z06 and what a piece of crap that system is. I think that GM just acquired the rights to to put a Bose label on the speaker cover. The Z06 now has JL's with everything else replaced as well as tuned for the new gear
Old 10-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JBOD
I would hate to touch anything except the volume with my B&O system. With all of the work that went into it from both Audi and B&O from a tuning perspective, changing anything will throw off the balance they worked so hard to achieve (and you paid for).

I have the Bose "upgrade" in my Z06 and what a piece of crap that system is. I think that GM just acquired the rights to to put a Bose label on the speaker cover. The Z06 now has JL's with everything else replaced as well as tuned for the new gear
Bose is pretty crappy so it wouldn't surprise me if they were really and truly Bose speakers. I've dismantled a few and they are all paper co wa generally speaking. Hopefully b&o spends more on materials, but factory subs generally can't compete with a good aftermarket brand, especially dollar for dollar.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bodierufus
Hello,

I have a 2012 Q5 S Line. I have the B&O Sounds system and was wondering it I can get a subwoofer with a little more bass in there without messing around to much.

Would this subwoofer work? Are the ohms (8 or 4 ohms?) and wattage correct? What about the depth for where it is currently mounted? Would it sound proper?

Thoughts???
It has been done do a search on this forum and you should find the thread. I remember the selection of the subwoofer was limited due to the mounting depth and top outer ring. With the woofer the person used it didn't really do much as the wattage to the sub didn't change.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ya need more power too!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bodierufus
Hello,

Thoughts???
Nice choice of Subs!
in my opinion, since you already have B&O, i would say... stick with it.
Cause I believe the MMO is set to meet B&O specs, but if you have the regular speakers or non B&O, then go for it.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

That is indeed a very nice sub, but it will not fit into the sub holder for a B&O system. I can't speak for the Bose system, but for the B&O the sub is actually held in a little piece that fits inside the spare tire. I played with a number of subs before I ended up with a shallow mount kicker. I went with a lower impedance (believe it was 2om). I played it conservatively for awhile to see how the amp handled the lower impedance, and so (2+ years) it has been fine, plus I have a bunch more bass than I did with the crummy B&O sub.

-john
Old 10-23-2011, 07:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ERPGURU
That is indeed a very nice sub, but it will not fit into the sub holder for a B&O system. I can't speak for the Bose system, but for the B&O the sub is actually held in a little piece that fits inside the spare tire. I played with a number of subs before I ended up with a shallow mount kicker. I went with a lower impedance (believe it was 2om). I played it conservatively for awhile to see how the amp handled the lower impedance, and so (2+ years) it has been fine, plus I have a bunch more bass than I did with the crummy B&O sub.

-john
Do you have any instructions for a DIY install?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

bump
Old 07-18-2012, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Armed with a Phillips screwdriver, you can replace the sub with another one of the same size in less the one minute. You don't even need to remove the spare wheel or sub "box" that sits inside the wheel. 4 screws exposes and releases the speaker, disconnect the two connecting wires, swap and reverse procedure to assemble again.

If you are going to fit a larger diameter sub, then things will get a little more complicated as some modifications to the enclosure would then be required.

Quick Reply: Audi Q5 Subwoofer swap