Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi SQ5 Moonlight Blue / Black Optics

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi SQ5 Moonlight Blue / Black Optics

I want to start off with a thank you for everyone's help so far. Finding that special SUV has been a bit of work and now that all that is left is colour.

I wanted to know as it's hard to judge by pictures. Is the black optics noticeable in person as a contrast from the moonlight? For MY17 I want to add the black optics package and also add in a black spoiler that'll be part of a final edition. Would be a bonus if there is anyone with a black spoiler on a moonlight. I'm torn between this or Mythos black but leaning towards a moonlight since I've only ever had black vehicles.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-27-2016, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IMHO...

The Black Optics package is best against a lighter color. We have the Black Optics on and S4 (Estoril Blue) and an RS5 (Daytona Grey). While they both look good, the lack of any brightwork does humble the car in a way that it would not with any of the whites, silvers or lighter greys (or on the SQ5, Scuba Blue).

I have included shots of our two cars so that you can judge for yourself...
Attached Images   

Last edited by eric strauss; 03-27-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just snapped these to give an idea of what I mean. Moonlight blue looks darker in person so would be great to see what it looks like on an actual car.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Eric, looks good on both of those cars.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by vancouver85
I want to start off with a thank you for everyone's help so far. Finding that special SUV has been a bit of work and now that all that is left is colour.

I wanted to know as it's hard to judge by pictures. Is the black optics noticeable in person as a contrast from the moonlight? For MY17 I want to add the black optics package and also add in a black spoiler that'll be part of a final edition. Would be a bonus if there is anyone with a black spoiler on a moonlight. I'm torn between this or Mythos black but leaning towards a moonlight since I've only ever had black vehicles.

Thanks in advance!
My wife actually has this exact combo (Moonlight with Black optics) on her SQ5. I don't have many good pics but here are a couple I shot in the garage. The black does blend in a little with the Moonlight but we like it, mostly because we aren't big fans of chrome as neither my M3 nor her SQ5 has much chrome on them at all.
Name:  pano_zpsf9t2j4hd.jpg
Views: 3187
Size:  144.7 KB
Name:  20151006_151621_zpsredtpmf2.jpg
Views: 3342
Size:  274.1 KB

Last edited by yocubed; 03-28-2016 at 05:31 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have Moonlight and black optics.

See the thread below.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...w-sq5-2885443/
Old 03-28-2016, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I personally think the Black Optics package looks good with darker colored Audis as well because all you really see are the LED running lights coming at you.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dseag2
I personally think the Black Optics package looks good with darker colored Audis as well because all you really see are the LED running lights coming at you.
I've never been so indecisive on something before. I feel like I'm all over the place. I can't seem to decide on a colour. Not sure if others noticed but the final edition will have a black spoiler and black side view mirrors. I'm kind of worried that it'll make the vehicle look like it's mismatched. I love the sepang blue as well but was thinking a more conservative colour. I'm now debating between the Mythos Black or Daytona Grey. I'm wanting to make a final decision by next week so that I get the 2017 as soon as I can. I have to say I really do like the moonlight blue and thank you for sharing pics of it as they do look quite stunning!
Old 03-31-2016, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by yocubed
My wife actually has this exact combo (Moonlight with Black optics) on her SQ5. I don't have many good pics but here are a couple I shot in the garage. The black does blend in a little with the Moonlight but we like it, mostly because we aren't big fans of chrome as neither my M3 nor her SQ5 has much chrome on them at all.

You my friend have great taste in cars! We have very similar stables!
Old 03-31-2016, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vancouver85
I've never been so indecisive on something before. I feel like I'm all over the place. I can't seem to decide on a colour. Not sure if others noticed but the final edition will have a black spoiler and black side view mirrors. I'm kind of worried that it'll make the vehicle look like it's mismatched. I love the sepang blue as well but was thinking a more conservative colour. I'm now debating between the Mythos Black or Daytona Grey. I'm wanting to make a final decision by next week so that I get the 2017 as soon as I can. I have to say I really do like the moonlight blue and thank you for sharing pics of it as they do look quite stunning!
Daytona Grey is stunning with the black optics package. Perform a Google Image search and see..........I never get tired of seeing it around town.

Quick Reply: Audi SQ5 Moonlight Blue / Black Optics