Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Q5 2015 Advance Key Option

Old 07-01-2014, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi Q5 2015 Advance Key Option

Has anyone ordered a 2015 Q5 with the advanced key option and actually have the car?

I wanted to know 2 things :

1. Does the key look like this :

Name:  generic_image.img.jpg
Views: 22106
Size:  13.6 KB

or like this :

Name:  AUDI_A4L_A6L_FLIP_KEY_SHELL.jpg
Views: 19453
Size:  79.5 KB

2. Does the car have a slot to insert the key into it or is that blanked off and you just use the STOP START button to start the car?
My A3 2013 model has advanced key and there is no slot to put the key into it.

See :

Name:  IMG_1110.jpg
Views: 13275
Size:  58.5 KB

The reason I ask , is that I wanted to get the correct key fob cover for the key and if it's the slot key type, then didn't want that to interfere with the starting mechanism.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi:

A newbie here from Australia: I'm new to the forum and to Audi ownership, having just picked up our new Q5 in the past couple of weeks. Our car has the key shown in your first photo (black body, chrome key buttons without the additional button on the body), and has a slot into which it can be inserted, although I haven't used this option yet. Slot is to the immediate left of our RHD steering column. We also have a black "emergency" key (or at least I think thats what it is) which can be used in a slot in the glovebox.

Great car; my wife is delighted as am I for different reasons - her for the comfort, me for her, and the performance/ride/handling package. We waited 5 months for it to be built and imported, and the dealer provided a loaner for us as we sold the previous car (MB C320 CDI) in January, as it was too uncomfortable for my wife after her back injury, so a very happy experience so far.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by sbarlas
Has anyone ordered a 2015 Q5 with the advanced key option and actually have the car?

2. Does the car have a slot to insert the key into it or is that blanked off and you just use the STOP START button to start the car?
My A3 2013 model has advanced key and there is no slot to put the key into it.

The reason I ask , is that I wanted to get the correct key fob cover for the key and if it's the slot key type, then didn't want that to interfere with the starting mechanism.
S, this is the Advanced Key from our 2015 Q5, I am in the USA:

Name:  15key1_zps2b3dd220.jpg
Views: 11372
Size:  96.7 KB

Name:  15key_zps4d437de3.jpg
Views: 3264
Size:  141.9 KB

Our Q5 does have a slot in the dashboard where the key may be inserted if one desires.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dingodave
Hi:

A newbie here from Australia: I'm new to the forum and to Audi ownership, having just picked up our new Q5 in the past couple of weeks. Our car has the key shown in your first photo (black body, chrome key buttons without the additional button on the body), and has a slot into which it can be inserted, although I haven't used this option yet. Slot is to the immediate left of our RHD steering column. We also have a black "emergency" key (or at least I think thats what it is) which can be used in a slot in the glovebox.
So does that mean you have the advanced key option and only have to use the STOP START button for turning the engine on and off? Advanced key allows the driver to keep the key in their pocket or bag at all times. To unlock and open you lift the exterior door handle, to lock, you press the button on the handle. Pressing the start/stop button integrated in the centre console starts and stops the engine.

See : Audi Q5 2015 Advance Key Option-screen-shot-2014-07-01-13.23.11.jpg

Great car; my wife is delighted as am I for different reasons - her for the comfort, me for her, and the performance/ride/handling package. We waited 5 months for it to be built and imported, and the dealer provided a loaner for us as we sold the previous car (MB C320 CDI) in January, as it was too uncomfortable for my wife after her back injury, so a very happy experience so far.
Congrats on your new Q5. Wow, that's amazing that Audi would give you a loan car from Jan to June (6 months) - did they charge you for the use of the loan car?
Old 07-01-2014, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
S, this is the Advanced Key from our 2015 Q5, I am in the USA:
Our Q5 does have a slot in the dashboard where the key may be inserted if one desires.
Thanks for clearing that up. So it looks like you don't have to use the slot to start the car, you can use either the slot or the STOP / START button.

We don't have a PANIC button here in the UK. What is that? I assume you press it while near the car and the alarm goes off in the case that you're being attacked or someone is trying to steal your car?
Old 07-01-2014, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Thanks for clearing that up. So it looks like you don't have to use the slot to start the car, you can use either the slot or the STOP / START button.

Correct, you could use either.

We don't have a PANIC button here in the UK. What is that? I assume you press it while near the car and the alarm goes off in the case that you're being attacked or someone is trying to steal your car?
Correct again. I see people using it to find their car when in a large car park as well.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So does that mean you have the advanced key option and only have to use the STOP START button for turning the engine on and off? Advanced key allows the driver to keep the key in their pocket or bag at all times. To unlock and open you lift the exterior door handle, to lock, you press the button on the handle. Pressing the start/stop button integrated in the centre console starts and stops the engine.

See : Attachment 40053

Congrats on your new Q5. Wow, that's amazing that Audi would give you a loan car from Jan to June (6 months) - did they charge you for the use of the loan car?
I too am interested in the answer. If I had that option I would have ordered a 2015 and taken a loaner so that I didn't have to hold onto my trade during the build process.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

See : Attachment 40053

No charge - how good was that? I did some comparative pricing but the best I got was $1000 cheaper without a loaner (worth way more than 1K anyway) but at a dealer 500km away! We had a selection during the time including a Q3, which made us nervous as the Q3 ride was much choppier than the Q5s we had tested.
Back on the main topic, the smart key is very easy to use with the door lock/unlock function, so the key simply doesn't come out at all. No Panic button here either so it must be a NA option.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

No charge - how good was that? I did some comparative pricing but the best I got was $1000 cheaper without a loaner (worth way more than 1K anyway) but at a dealer 500km away! We had a selection during the time including a Q3, which made us nervous as the Q3 ride was much choppier than the Q5s we had tested.
Back on the main topic, the smart key is very easy to use with the door lock/unlock function, so the key simply doesn't come out at all. No Panic button here either so it must be a NA option.
That is really going well over and beyond customer service. You'd never get that here in the UK.
Looks like the PANIC button is only in countries where there's a "higher risk" of being car jacked or attacked.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Current Audi models with Advanced Key do not have a slot, just the start/stop button and door handle sensors. If the key does not work for some reason (i.e. dead battery), there is a sensor on the dash marked by a key symbol where you hold the extra plastic emergency key up to it while pressing the start button. Also, a mechanical key can be removed from the fob should the battery die to lock/unlock the car. The fob case portion with the key removed can also be used as a valet key if you want the trunk/hatch to remain locked when handing the car over to an attendant.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi Q5 2015 Advance Key Option