Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Can't believe it - "curbed" a wheel :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't believe it - "curbed" a wheel :(

Hey all...

While parallel parking into a space today (and while using the tilted side-view mirror and back-up camera to "help"), I "curbed" and scratched my otherwise pristine 21" factory SQ5 wheel (IDIOT!!!). F#&K!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (that's how I felt...not what I said at the time...my 3 year old daughter was in the car).

Question is - with the two-toned painted nature of those wheels, can it be fixed (cosmetically hidden?) or does it need to be replaced??

I feel sick.......

Any help is appreciated.

In SE PA region if anyone has a good "wheel" guy they can recommend.

Thanks everyone

PJ
Old 06-30-2014, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PJQ5S
Hey all...

While parallel parking into a space today (and while using the tilted side-view mirror and back-up camera to "help"), I "curbed" and scratched my otherwise pristine 21" factory SQ5 wheel (IDIOT!!!). F#&K!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (that's how I felt...not what I said at the time...my 3 year old daughter was in the car).

Question is - with the two-toned painted nature of those wheels, can it be fixed (cosmetically hidden?) or does it need to be replaced??

I feel sick.......

Any help is appreciated.

In SE PA region if anyone has a good "wheel" guy they can recommend.

Thanks everyone

PJ
Hi, sorry to hear that but wheel curbs are bond to happen. I remembered when I got my Q5 for about 3weeks, my wife curbed my 20" sline wheel which they have two tone paints similar to the one that came with your SQ5. The first thing I did was found a wheel repair shop to have it fixed so which I did. To tell you the truth I rather just leave it alone and be better off because now if I look closely the wheel seems to be in lighter color than the other three and it lost the light blue color look to it and since they have to cut the whole surface of the rim to get rid of the curb it's going to affect clear coat so nothing is to stay perfect forever and just let it go. Good luck.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call a tire shop and ask them who they use to refinish tires. I bought the tire and wheel hazard package on my S4, 3 years ago and have used it 3 times. When I change from winter/summer tires they refinish the rim. I think each wheel costs 200 but its fully covered under my insurance
Old 07-01-2014, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

I worry about this happening every time I reverse near a curb, but don't be too hard on yourself......accidents happen.

I suggest you contact local body shops and ask them who they send aftermarket rims to when they need to be refinished, after being damaged by car collisions.....Years ago I had to have some aftermarket rims repaired after I was sideswiped...well, the insurance refused to replace them and insisted on having them refinished....I was worried, but in the end they looked brand new....I think it only cost less than $100 for 2, but that was more than a decade ago so prices may have increased. Although, it would still be cheaper than the cost of a replacement.

Good Luck!
Old 07-01-2014, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got that wheel & tire insurance too. It makes changing the wheels very impractical, but hopefully it will pay for itself...someday. Insurance is always a gamble.
I'm curious as to which tires you have, PJQ5S. I have the Pirellis, which have that rim-guard ridge. Personally, I think it makes the tire look ugly. But I curbed both of them on the passenger side last weekend and didn't get a scratch, so I see their point (no pun intended). Depending on which tires you have, and my experience, I may just stick with those tires that have that protection rib on the sidewall.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Discount tire sends your wheel off the be refinished. Or you can call around to other shops. Ranges from $80-$125. If it doesn't turn out to suit you just buy a new wheel.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SQive
I got that wheel & tire insurance too. It makes changing the wheels very impractical, but hopefully it will pay for itself...someday. Insurance is always a gamble.
I'm curious as to which tires you have, PJQ5S. I have the Pirellis, which have that rim-guard ridge. Personally, I think it makes the tire look ugly. But I curbed both of them on the passenger side last weekend and didn't get a scratch, so I see their point (no pun intended). Depending on which tires you have, and my experience, I may just stick with those tires that have that protection rib on the sidewall.
How are the Pirellis? I have the Michelin tires, and maybe I have the worst luck ever, but I have gotten 2 nails (different tires) in the same general road location within 60 days of owning the car. Two patches and less than 3000 miles on them :-(
Old 07-01-2014, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did the same thing to my 21" wheel. I live in the Lehigh Valley and there is a place by me called the Wheel Collision Center and I know that they will repair curb rash. However, in my interactions/pricing with them in the past, they were fairly pricey, but I have read that they do good work.

I decided to not repair mine as I figure that if I do, I will just be stupid again and get more rash...
Old 07-01-2014, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by acadapter
How are the Pirellis? I have the Michelin tires, and maybe I have the worst luck ever, but I have gotten 2 nails (different tires) in the same general road location within 60 days of owning the car. Two patches and less than 3000 miles on them :-(
They're okay. Performance-wise, I couldn't be happier. I guess I'm just old-school, and like a little belly on my sidewalls. I've always felt that the rim sticking out beyond the tire looks cheap, like you couldn't afford the proper size tire for the rim. I've not had any problems, at 2900 miles, but I can already see them starting to wear.
My next set will likely be the Continental CrossContact UHP in 265/40R21. I've heard about problems and noise with the Dunlops, but only good things about the Continentals.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

My Audi dealer has a guy who comes in one day a week to refinish damaged wheels right on location. He repaired/refinished my curb rashed wheel in a couple of hours for $150 and you can't tell it was repaired - it looks like new and is perfectly paint matched. Check with your service dept. as they usually have someone they can recommend.

Quick Reply: Can't believe it - "curbed" a wheel :(