Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi SQ5 (8R) 2016 - Change MMI to DAB

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi SQ5 (8R) 2016 - Change MMI to DAB

Hi there everyone,

I recently traded-in my 2011 Audi S5 Convertible for a 2016 Audi SQ5 TDI, the bosses orders (We are a family now etc etc.). I have to say it was a good decision! The car is awesome! Quicker and cheaper to run!

I wanted to change the MMI system to a DAB System which will be removed from a written-off car and wanted to know if there are any differences in wiring before taking the plunge i.e. different plugs, antenna needs to be changed, reporgramming to the car etc.
Any advice would be most gratefully appreciated.
Thank you in advance! 🙏
Old 09-28-2023, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,576 Posts

The DAB aerial is in the left rear side glass, the DAB aerial amp (8R0035225M) is mounted on the left rear d-pillar. It appears all vehicles have left rear side glass with the DAB aerial present, whether or not they have DAB. But you'll have to add the amp and the cable to whatever has the DAB tuner.

On the DAB tuner itself, your system description is not particular specific. So you have Chorus, Concert/Symphony, MMI 3G Basic, or MMI 3G Plus? MMI 3G means replacing the radio unit in the left rear with a DAB version, assuming you don't already have a DAB version. This would be convenient for running that FAKRA cable from the aerial amp. Not MMI 3G (ie, not navigation, ie Chorus, Concert, Symphony) means replacing the radio unit in the dash with a DAB version of Concert/Symphony (Chorus has no option for DAB).

Replacing either radio unit will require clearing of component protection by a dealership or shop or someone with ODIS access.
Old 09-28-2023, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SMac770
The DAB aerial is in the left rear side glass, the DAB aerial amp (8R0035225M) is mounted on the left rear d-pillar. It appears all vehicles have left rear side glass with the DAB aerial present, whether or not they have DAB. But you'll have to add the amp and the cable to whatever has the DAB tuner.

On the DAB tuner itself, your system description is not particular specific. So you have Chorus, Concert/Symphony, MMI 3G Basic, or MMI 3G Plus? MMI 3G means replacing the radio unit in the left rear with a DAB version, assuming you don't already have a DAB version. This would be convenient for running that FAKRA cable from the aerial amp. Not MMI 3G (ie, not navigation, ie Chorus, Concert, Symphony) means replacing the radio unit in the dash with a DAB version of Concert/Symphony (Chorus has no option for DAB).

Replacing either radio unit will require clearing of component protection by a dealership or shop or someone with ODIS access.
Thanks for the great response. So I have the MMI 3G Plus, which means I need the DAB Radio and FAKRA cable from your description. It sounds like a lot of hassle, I was hoping it would just be a head unit swap out and recoding. Oh well, Analogue it stays 🙂