Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Any Issues with Pano Roof?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gojones
I have a 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI on order. I originally deleted the pano roof based on what I had read on this forum earlier this year. My salesman prevailed by recently convincing me that any issues that may have existed have been resolved and he has not had any issues in a couple of years now. Has the rattle pretty much been resolved? I wonder if anyone is still experiencing any issues with the pano roof. I would prefer having the roof because of perceived resale value and just the enjoyment of the extra light. However, either way, this is not a deal breaker.
Yes I have a BIG problem with the pano roof. It weighs waaaay too much in exactly the worse possible location on a motorcar.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Yes I have a BIG problem with the pano roof. It weighs waaaay too much in exactly the worse possible location on a motorcar.
My thoughts exactly. Every SQ5 in the DFW inventory has the panoramic sunroof because they are standard equipment. If you want an SQ5 without it, you have to special order it that way. However, they offer no discount for deleting it. So, tomorrow I will get to learn first-hand just how that lowered center-of-gravity feels.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

After-thought...
Since the panoramic sunroof is standard equipment on the 2014 SQ5, I don't believe there are any official numbers for one without it. I wouldn't be surprised if the stock 0-60 drops to below 5.0, nearing 0.9 on the skidpad. I'll let ya' know.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

No issues, no problems with the roof although I did have an IR-blocking tint installed, and that makes a difference in the heat load.

I thought it was odd that the inside liner was not opaque, as all moonroofs traditionally are for privacy and heat blocking. But with a perforated liner, it is possible to keep the liner closed, open the glass, and get some ventilation while blocking any "wind".

One drawback to that perforated liner is that at night, as you pass street lights they will "strobe" into the cabin. That's a bit annoying. I'm sure that if I pointed that out to Audi they would simply instruct me "Do not drive at night."(G)
Old 05-09-2014, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
No issues, no problems with the roof although I did have an IR-blocking tint installed, and that makes a difference in the heat load.

I thought it was odd that the inside liner was not opaque, as all moonroofs traditionally are for privacy and heat blocking. But with a perforated liner, it is possible to keep the liner closed, open the glass, and get some ventilation while blocking any "wind".

One drawback to that perforated liner is that at night, as you pass street lights they will "strobe" into the cabin. That's a bit annoying. I'm sure that if I pointed that out to Audi they would simply instruct me "Do not drive at night."(G)
Was the IR Tint something the dealer does or aftermarket dealer?
Old 05-09-2014, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Done by a 3M installer directly. I could have had the same man do the same job with the same products through the dealer, for about 50% more. AFAIK no dealer actually does window tinting, they call in an authorized installer.

The dealer was so anxious to sell me leathercare and AudiCare that he forgot to offer some of the things that I might be more interested in. Like glass and paint protection. After I found the 3M installer, he said gee, the same dealer uses him for installs. Go figure, huh?

I used 3M because I know the products hold up, and there will be a company to stand behind the warranty.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Love love love my new SQ5! Deletion of the panoramic sunroof does improve the handling. It is a noticeable difference.

My dealer offered tint along with paint protection. What they have (besides the regular stuff) is called Crystaline, and it does an incredible job of blocking radiant energy. They have this cute box that sells it. There is an opening at the bottom where you insert your hand and press a button that turns on a heat lamp. Through the middle of the box is a sheet of glass that has been treated with regular dark tint, and a clear form of the Crystaline. When you slide the glass over, the heat felt on the back of your hand completely stops. This is impressive stuff. I don't know if the dealer does it or not, but this may be the same stuff Redd has.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Same stuff. Crystalline is one of 3M's premium products.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost got Crystalline 90% on the windshield. It's barely noticeable but offers good heat and UV rejection. In the end decided against it though.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Bob, it would be tempting since it also cuts UV and that prevents long-term damage in the interior. But "coating" a windshield is also generally illegal, and I just don't like to tempt fate that way.

Quick Reply: Any Issues with Pano Roof?