Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Any Issues with Pano Roof?

Old 05-07-2014, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Issues with Pano Roof?

I have a 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI on order. I originally deleted the pano roof based on what I had read on this forum earlier this year. My salesman prevailed by recently convincing me that any issues that may have existed have been resolved and he has not had any issues in a couple of years now. Has the rattle pretty much been resolved? I wonder if anyone is still experiencing any issues with the pano roof. I would prefer having the roof because of perceived resale value and just the enjoyment of the extra light. However, either way, this is not a deal breaker.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Default No hay problema

We have a 2014 TDI w pano roof and have had absolutely no problems. MY wife loves it.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:34 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

8/14 build - no issues. Steve
Old 05-07-2014, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have opted out of it but it doesn't save me money. I'm sure it will also make resale lower.

It's nice to have. It does rattle and squeak at times though.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2013 with a pano and absolutely love it, no way would I even consider owning this car without it now that I have had it. I haven't had a single issue or rattle in a little over a year. Of course I don't live where it is always 100+ degrees and humid so it gets used a lot.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problems with the pano roof here. The car is a year and a half old this week, but low miles so I'm not sure how it would be if it were a daily driver etc.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
No problems with the pano roof here. The car is a year and a half old this week, but low miles so I'm not sure how it would be if it were a daily driver etc.
No problems here. March 13 build, 3.0T. The car is my daily driver and is used in all kinds of conditions from -25F to +100 over 16k miles in the past year.

The only noise I've heard from the roof was on a very cold night after rain the night before. A creak or 2 from the ice-crusted roof until the car warmed up. Not a peep since.

FWIW, I'd definitely get it again, and I'm normally an opt-out guy on converts, sunroofs, etc.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

2013 that arrived around 3/2013 - already brought in for pano roof creaking noises after this past winter and now it's creaking again a couple months later.

Most likely it's due to temperature changes and freezing temperatures if you leave the car ungaraged - water seeping into the edges, freezing, expanding, etc.

Garage parked the car during the winter at the beginning of 2013. Only after leaving the car ungaraged this most recent winter did it start to creak.

However, based on what I've heard from an automotive editor friend, eventual creaking is unavoidable on most if not all pano roofs regardless of make.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The first sets had issues with cracking/shattering in extreme cold, but this has been resolved. The worst issues I see come up are some potential rattles/squeaks, and some have gotten the sunroof rails replaced because of it (so there might be some minor defect causing it?). There have been a couple of cover-related complaints that I've seen, I think one about the cover coming out of the track and the other about the cover sagging due to extreme heat.

No issues on my 2014 so far (about 8300mi) that I can attribute to the sunroof, worst I have is some squeaking related to the passenger seat that I'm not sure where exactly it's coming from. We'll see how the heat fares given it's common to hit 110+ in the summer and I've "only" got 50% Pinnacle all around.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine's about a year old--love it, would not have the car without it. Only problems are minor: 1) the mesh pop-up windblocker collects bugs and lint; 2) sometimes you get leaves between the sliding shade and the roof; 3) wouldn't close all the way once, but turned the car off and then back on and worked fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any Issues with Pano Roof?