Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 09:43 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Aftermarket/Retrofit Backup Camera Advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My installation has been successfully completed. This was not an easy process. The first appointment went ok, but the camera view was not be stable, jerky and disconnecting. I had actually (myself) to make a voltage regulator to make it work. PIA. If you don't know what a voltage regulator is, I suggest going with a professional installer providing a complete solution, then it's their responsibility. It costs $1200-$1400 here. My expenses (parts + labor) were $450 altogether, but definitely YMMV. There is another forum, which I probably can't link to, which has a big discussion about Xcarlink module and camera (tips and tricks thread, and another thread in B8/A4 forum). I used a similar interface. I (and others) posted their experiences there.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I realize that this thread is several years old but i thought i'd share my research with anyone looking. I recently purchased a 2013 Audi Q5 without Navigation and Rear View Camera; have been looking for either or both add on options but wanted to keep it factory so i got info from other forums and here but didnt really see anything that was factory except for the kufatec but that is for 3Gmmi Audi's so i found this company and ordered the system http://www.emeraldintegrations.com/c...ra-system.html has the moving parking lines and appears to be factory oem. Ill post info and pics once installed, let me know if anyone has tried this system
Old 05-26-2014, 05:58 PM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Looking forward to pics and writeup!
Old 05-26-2014, 11:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by racyjerry44
I realize that this thread is several years old but i thought i'd share my research with anyone looking. I recently purchased a 2013 Audi Q5 without Navigation and Rear View Camera; have been looking for either or both add on options but wanted to keep it factory so i got info from other forums and here but didnt really see anything that was factory except for the kufatec but that is for 3Gmmi Audi's so i found this company and ordered the system http://www.emeraldintegrations.com/c...ra-system.html has the moving parking lines and appears to be factory oem. Ill post info and pics once installed, let me know if anyone has tried this system
Today's afternoon I started a search to know if my 09 Q5 non-nav MMI can connect to a backup camera and what a coincidence to find that wonderful thread Looking for some results and pics
Old 07-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Q5 after market backup camera

Originally Posted by racyjerry44
We will soon get a 2015 Q5 without MMI/Nav system, but would like to have a backup camera. Your Emerald link looks like the real deal and OEM. We look forward to seeing your pics, installation tips/ comments, and of course how the Emerald system performs. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no need to buy an after market camera. you can always purchase a OEM camera and retrofit with an aftermarket unit. the OEM camera will fit perfectly
Old 07-12-2014, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I think Emerald are not in fact the OEM supplier. They've said they supply equipment to many dealers for installation--but that just means dealers are buying equipment from them. They dodged the direct question of whether they are in fact the OEM supplier to Audi. (Any answer besides "Yes, we are the OEM supplier to Audi" means no, someone is not.)

Still, a good copy should be good enough and certainly possible. Looks like there's still quite a handful of installation work to be done.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok, great feed back!! But has anyone have any pictures of the finished product? My wife has a 2014 Q5 without Nav. but would love to have the backup camera.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2014, 10:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was waiting for the pics and any tips on installation. Meanwhile, I just received the Emerald product today and planning to install tomorrow. The order was pushed to back-order for few days but luckily they upgraded the shipping to expedite service. They included the manual but it does not depict step-by-step procedures. It was really similar to this manual [http://www.tvandnav.com/manuals/audinommi.pdf]. I will try to post my feedback once I finish the back up camera. Wish me a luck!
Old 07-28-2014, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good luck and I'm looking forward to your write-up!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket/Retrofit Backup Camera Advise