Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 SQ5 Power Steering Software Update

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
I'm with you on all of what you said. I have electric steering. My question is that some have reported that the post "fix" has lessened responsiveness, others that it has improved responsiveness.
Unless there are mechanical variances between individual cars with the electric steering components, I suspect these differences observed are subject to each person's own perception. I, for one, have not noticed any difference in "responsiveness" after the update but do note a small decrease in steering effort in Dynamic mode - to me though, it's not significant. There is still a very noticeable increasing effort difference when switching from comfort to auto to dynamic.

As I've written before, my off-center wandering issue at highway speeds has improved (but not completely eliminated) about 80% after the update but again, that's my own perception. While better than the first iterations, I believe there's inherent engineering design improvements still needed for electric steering to completely replicate the driving characteristics of hydraulic systems.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many SQ5s could have been produced before July? I know there are some, but seems like that number would be small. My car was produced after July, which is why when I checked with the dealer they didn't have an update in the system for ours.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by gtwagon941
How many SQ5s could have been produced before July?
My SQ5 was "Released for Production" 6/20 and "Factory Inspected" 7/9 so somewhere in there they loaded the steering mapping. I'll have to wait for the 5K service to know if I am included in the update or not but, as I said before in this thread, I have experienced no notchy steering issues nor any kind of steering issues so I'll be declining the update. Steve
Old 11-15-2013, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

How many SQ5s could have been produced before July? I know there are some, but seems like that number would be small. My car was produced after July, which is why when I checked with the dealer they didn't have an update in the system for ours.
The first SQ's (TDI variant) were released to customers in April '13. TFSI variants first got to customers a couple of months later.
However this update is related to Q's as well as SQ's. I suspect the SQ owner is just more likely to be sensitive to a change in driving experience hence why most posters here own SQ's.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by josedebardi
The first SQ's (TDI variant) were released to customers in April '13. TFSI variants first got to customers a couple of months later. However this update is related to Q's as well as SQ's. I suspect the SQ owner is just more likely to be sensitive to a change in driving experience hence why most posters here own SQ's.
Yes, I know. But the thread is titled 2014 SQ5...so that was what my post as in reference to.

Generally speaking, "most" of the 2014 N. America S Q5s will not be affected by this update because of when they were produced and the fact that those made after July came from the factory with the correct hardware/software to properly operate. Just trying to make sure people understand the context of this update and the reach (or relative lack of)
Old 11-16-2013, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Yes, I know. But the thread is titled 2014 SQ5...so that was what my post as in reference to.

Generally speaking, "most" of the 2014 N. America S Q5s will not be affected by this update because of when they were produced and the fact that those made after July came from the factory with the correct hardware/software to properly operate. Just trying to make sure people understand the context of this update and the reach (or relative lack of)
The hardware is the same in all the Q and SQ5 model MY2013-2014

SW update 48K8 for electromechanical power steering refers to a lot Audi models A6, S6, A4, A5, Q5, SQ5 ...

Last edited by spijun; 11-16-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the update done this week on my 2014 2.0T. At highway speeds, it feels the same. At low speeds, the steering is lighter now. I had no issues with the steering beforehand, other than wanting a little more feel (less boost) at all speeds.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My steering has felt great, so I "declined" the update during the 5k service yesterday. Alway hope I did the right thing. I am not interested is a "lighter" steering feel though.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2013 S5 Cab that I brought in for service yesterday. They did the steering update although I had no issues prior. I have the exact same issue as the OP and I am not happy at all!!! My SA is at lunch but I will be calling and they WILL FIX IT. If not, AOA will be replacing my car! If I can't have the dynamic steering, then IMHO there is no need to have the S5. COmfort mode is great for the highway, but not on suburban roads.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by saw1
My SA is at lunch but I will be calling and they WILL FIX IT. If not, AOA will be replacing my car!
I can understand being upset but doesn't that seem a bit excessive?

Quick Reply: 2014 SQ5 Power Steering Software Update