Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 Q5 Premium without Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Q5 Premium without Navigation

I have a 2014 Audi Q5 Premium without Navigation in California, USA.
I already have my iPhone 5S connected to car's bluetooth handsfree for phone calls.Now, I want to also connect and play music (from music app or pandora or spotify) using my iPhone 5S over bluetooth. I know for the fact that the phone can connect to multiple devices, one used for phone and other for A2DP i.e. music etc.
I have an AMI cable that came along with the car and I tried using a few 30-Pin Bluetooth modules from Fry's and BestBuy but none of them worked as the display was stuck at, "Initializing Device".
My question is, Do I need a modified cable for those Bluetooth modules to work ? Or there are specialized bluetooth modules which support this feature?
As, my initial google search results showed, this product :
Amazon.com: ViseeO Tune2air WMA1000: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: ViseeO Tune2air WMA1000: Cell Phones & Accessories
only to work with what I need.
My understanding is, bluetooth module are usually cheap like 20-30$, then why is this product so expensive. Also, I came across this website : http://a2dp4audi.com. which is selling the complete combo for 99$.
So, what am I missing here? Is it a special AMI cable? or special module? and why won't the regular/cheap bluetooth module like this : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aluratek...iver/9096103.p work with the OEM cable that came with the car?
Do suggest me if there are better alternatives to achieve what I need?
Old 07-15-2014, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry I can't help...but just to be clear, the 2014 without MMI cannot stream music via BT? I haven't set mine up as I used a iPod nano, but I thought for certain my 2014 could stream music via BT - I have MMI.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Samps. I know for sure that the car's bluetooth module won't be able to stream music, which made me shop for bluetooth module which attach to the AMI cable. I am not sure what's difference between AMI and MMI and which one I have. But, I know for the fact that if the bluetooth module gets detected properly, it would be able to stream music. Just want to know, why a specialized module and which one should I buy?
Old 07-15-2014, 03:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by darpandhamija
Thanks Samps. I know for sure that the car's bluetooth module won't be able to stream music, which made me shop for bluetooth module which attach to the AMI cable. I am not sure what's difference between AMI and MMI and which one I have. But, I know for the fact that if the bluetooth module gets detected properly, it would be able to stream music. Just want to know, why a specialized module and which one should I buy?
if you've got MMI why would you shopping for bluetooth module?
i would suggest you to plug in an iPod or itouch for your music otherwise it will drain your cell's battery very quickly...
MMI=Multiple media interface...
Old 07-15-2014, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

MMI is capable of BT streaming whereas AMI is not (for the 2014 MY anyway). I have the AMI in my '14 SQ5 and use the AMI iPhone 30pin connection with the Tune2Air module to stream music from my iPhone 5S. The Tune2Air works flawlessly with to stream the music and GPS directions through the car stereo. With the iPhone 5S you can connect to the Tune2Air and the car's BT in order to stream music and make BT phone calls (the car switches between the two seamlessly when a call is received or made).
Old 07-15-2014, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to add to my previous post, I'm not sure why the "regular/cheap" bluetooth modules do not interface with the AMI, however the Tune2Air is worth the price. I ordered mine on Amazon for about $100 and it will work with the OEM cable that came with your car.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

If you want to use the AMI cable with the Phone 5 series, just get the Apple Lightning/30 pin adapter. It will work fine with music and MMI control.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Vilhelm_SQ5
Just to add to my previous post, I'm not sure why the "regular/cheap" bluetooth modules do not interface with the AMI, however the Tune2Air is worth the price. I ordered mine on Amazon for about $100 and it will work with the OEM cable that came with your car.
AMI and Bluetooth modules are two different systems.

Audi Music Interface
A very wide range of portable music devices can integrate with your car via the optional Audi Music Interface. Once installed, they can be controlled with the Multi Media Interface (MMI) or multifunction steering wheel (depending on the car’s equipment). Supported devices include USB memory sticks, portable hard discs, mobile phones, and Apple iPods – even portable cassette players.

And it’s not just the audio signal that’s transmitted. With compatible devices, detailed track information is displayed.

Originally Posted by samps
Sorry I can't help...but just to be clear, the 2014 without MMI cannot stream music via BT? I haven't set mine up as I used a iPod nano, but I thought for certain my 2014 could stream music via BT - I have MMI.
All models are equipped with the MMI, with and without navigation, just different screen resolution, with different system linking other devices CAN bus or MOST-bus

-MMI 6.5-inch TFT color display (1/4 VGA 400 x 240 pixels), with NAV ( with DVD drive for navigation) / without NAV

-MMI High-resolution 7 inch color display (wide VGA 800 x 480 pixels) MMI navigation plus with HD

Originally Posted by David&Niki
i would suggest you to plug in an iPod or itouch for your music otherwise it will drain your cell's battery very quickly...
The Audi Multi Media Interface (MMI) system, is an in-car user interface media system developed by Audi

MMI operates a large number of in car entertainment components, car electronics, and other functions. The list below indicates the scope of systems controllable by MMI. However, depending on the actual car model, along with which version was specified (MMI Basic, MMI High, etc.), only some, and not all functions will be applicable or available.

Satellite navigation, including traffic management (TMC) - optional
Radio tuner
CD changer
TV tuner - optional
Telephone and directory
Heating, ventilation, air conditioning, climate control, and seat heating
Car setup (e.g. central locking and convenience function (coming home/leaving home, power sunroof and windows) options, global audio settings, suspension settings etc.)
Driver information (e.g. fuel economy statistics (often encompassed by "trip computer" functions), battery level, tire-pressure monitoring, etc.)
User manual (full on-board car user manual, displayed on screen)

Conclusion: All Q5 have the MMI, with and without navigation.
The factory Bluetooth audio streaming is possible only in the model with navigation

Last edited by spijun; 07-15-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by David&Niki
I believe darpandhamija said he/she did not know if they had MMI, at least that is my reading of the post: "I am not sure what's difference between AMI and MMI and which one I have"
Old 07-16-2014, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the detailed explanation @spijun, That is really informative and I am sure would be useful in future for other people visiting these forums too.
And yes @irenesbob, i didn't know the difference between AMI and MMI, but now I do.
But my query still is unresolved that, why won't the other bluetooth module work with the regular AMI? and is there any other alternative bluetooth adapter I should be going for, or the best solution is the Viseoo Tune2Air WMA1000 ?
Thanks Vilhelm_SQ5, I am glad it works for you and if I don't find any other alternative, I am probably going to try it out too.
But if anyone has ever been able to try out any other bluetooth module and make it work, please let me know which one and how and where to get it from?

Quick Reply: 2014 Q5 Premium without Navigation