Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013 Audi Q5 2.0T oil consumption

Old 04-28-2013, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by pkalltheway2000
hi,
i have been following the break-in instruction from the manual...varying the RPM and etc...sorry for the confusion...
not sure if my oil consumption is normal as i think my car has "drank" two blocks of oil (as indicated in the MMI)...i assume two blocks means two litres...

i am only at 1,700 kms....

and i am still hearing that darn faint whistling noise (as if someone is blowing to a can)...Audi tech insisted it's the engine that's making sound....
As rdA4 said, the entire bar graph range is only 1L, so your car has only consumed 250-500 mL of oil. Also, many have found the electronic dipstick to have suspect accuracy. IMO, it's too early to be concerned. If it were me, I'd add 250 mL of oil and see what the level is. CT sells Euro formula Castrol Syntec 0W30 in 1L bottles which meets the required VW502 standard.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NABS4
As rdA4 said, the entire bar graph range is only 1L, so your car has only consumed 250-500 mL of oil. Also, many have found the electronic dipstick to have suspect accuracy. IMO, it's too early to be concerned. If it were me, I'd add 250 mL of oil and see what the level is. CT sells Euro formula Castrol Syntec 0W30 in 1L bottles which meets the required VW502 standard.
Thanks you guys. Yes I was concerned because Audi Q5 is my first Audi. And yes, I have done searches but 99% of the threads are about 2012 or earlier model. Thought 2013 would be great and I guess not.

Also thank you for letting me know the MMI is only showing 1L of oil. I guess I don't have to worry about unless I get a warning message saying that oil is low.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by pkalltheway2000
i could only hear it when the engine is at "running" temp...when the car is idling....i popped the hood and tried to figure out where the faint noise is coming from, but the engine noise drowns the noise...

it's really only audible when i am sitting in the car when there isn't really any other noise besides the faint noise....it's not the AC or DASHBOARD noise...i thought it came from fuel filter, but i wasn't sure...
Turbos do whistle....
Old 04-29-2013, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Turbos do whistle....
Hi Bob, so turbo whistles when idling as well? i thought turbo isn't supposed to whistle unless you are revving up, no? plus i hear the whistling from inside the car though (without ac, without driving, only turning the engine on)...
Old 04-29-2013, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Whistle at idle more traditionally a vacuum leak

Turbo's only pump up and then whistle some under load. I would look for a small vacuum leak, though with modern cars it can be a motor driven noise or in the electronics.

Unfortunately some manufacturers are also now into phony sound pumped into the cabin, led by BMW with various sound pipes and other gimmicks; my Mini has it (or rather had it, til I removed the excess pounds of plastic). Hopefully Audi hasn't engaged in this.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Turbo's only pump up and then whistle some under load. I would look for a small vacuum leak, though with modern cars it can be a motor driven noise or in the electronics.

Unfortunately some manufacturers are also now into phony sound pumped into the cabin, led by BMW with various sound pipes and other gimmicks; my Mini has it (or rather had it, til I removed the excess pounds of plastic). Hopefully Audi hasn't engaged in this.
Thanks for the feedback. I brought the car in last week (brand new with only 1,700km ODO) and the chief mechanic at the Audi dealer said it's just engine noise....he told me not to worry...even though i told him i can hear the faint whistling sound from inside the car, but he insisted he only heard the engine sound.....

i felt unsatisfied with his answer, but i couldn't prove that faint noise i was hearing wasn't coming from the engine....even though i thought i heard it near the fuel pump area, and he said fuel pump/filter does make noise..

he also said since my car is so new, he suggested that i wait until my first service and bring it up again...i don't think they are gonna do anything about it...

the reason why i was so picky is because tiny issue leads to bigger issue later on...especially after 4 years when the warranty has expired...

for now, i guess i will have to learn to live with it.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I'm not sure about sound specifically in the cabin itself, but VAG does use sound modification in the engine bay and exhaust system; the bi-turbo 3.0 TDIs (such as RoW SQ5) I know use this on the Audi side of the fence and the GTI's been using it for years from what I've seen.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by idale
I'm not sure about sound specifically in the cabin itself, but VAG does use sound modification in the engine bay and exhaust system; the bi-turbo 3.0 TDIs (such as RoW SQ5) I know use this on the Audi side of the fence and the GTI's been using it for years from what I've seen.
the noise i am hearing is quite irritating and it can be only heard under the following conditions:

1. engine is warmed up (don't hear it when the engine is first started and still cold)

2. from inside the car with AC, MUSIC off (not wind noise)

3. when the car is in low throttle below 30km/h or idle/

4. it's not as noticeable when there are passengers sitting in the rear.

couldn't really pinpoint where the sound is coming from. tried the engine and the only sound i hear is the tick tick sound which it's normal...

i think it could be from fuel pump area as I could kinda hear it when i in that area....

when i turn the engine off, the noise immediately goes away from both inside and outside of the cabin...

not sure exactly how i would categorize the noise (it's kinda sound like very faint whistling/air leak)..
Old 05-04-2013, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

1.3K miles ODO only, and now the MMI oil reading down to 1/3....should i ask the dealer to do a oil consumption? is it too early? 3.7K miles til my first service??

2013 audi q5 2.0t..

i have 99% sure now that faint whistling noise is coming from the fuel pump area...

as the noise can be heard from inside and outside the cabin..
inside-rear seats (both sides)..
outside (more audible near the fuel filter area)...

if i have passengers sitting on the rear, the noise isn't as audible compare to empty seats...i guess it's normal to hear the pump is working???
Old 05-22-2013, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

ODO - 2,555km
MMI oil level - 1/4 quart
audi q5 2.0t 2013

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Audi Q5 2.0T oil consumption