Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Broken driver side mirror

Old 08-13-2019, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken driver side mirror

Hi all,

I've got a 2012 Audi Q5 3.2 that recently had an unfortunate incident in which the driver's side mirror was pushed forward (wife was backing out of garage and clipped the side). The mirror was damaged as well as the housing. Luckily, the motor works and the mirror is still able to fold up. I was able to find a used side mirror from a junk yard for cheap on ebay. When popping the new housing onto the base, I noticed that the clips on the base were damaged and the housing was not going stay on. Rather than replace the side mirror entirely, is there any way to separate the base from the mirror motor so I can just swap the bases out?
Old 08-13-2019, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by CMac02
Hi all,

I've got a 2012 Audi Q5 3.2 that recently had an unfortunate incident in which the driver's side mirror was pushed forward (wife was backing out of garage and clipped the side). The mirror was damaged as well as the housing. Luckily, the motor works and the mirror is still able to fold up. I was able to find a used side mirror from a junk yard for cheap on ebay. When popping the new housing onto the base, I noticed that the clips on the base were damaged and the housing was not going stay on. Rather than replace the side mirror entirely, is there any way to separate the base from the mirror motor so I can just swap the bases out?
You basically adjust the mirror so that the upper outer corner is as far out of the housing as possible. That is, by aiming down toward the rear wheel. Then get your fingers in there and pull it outward from that corner. It will unsnap. Be careful of any wires found inside and attached to it--for auto dimming/defrost.