Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

'15 SQ5 vs '14 SQ5 fuel economy

Old 07-15-2014, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I interesting that the 2.0t doesn't have start/stop yet. The X3 2.0t has it, although most of the reviews I read while shopping mentioned that it's more noticeable than on other vehicles and most of the testers turned it off. Maybe it's a small displacement thing.

I've seen a couple of articles saying this feature hasn't resonated with drivers in the US yet. I'm sure it's not going anywhere and will be offered on more vehicles..
It depends on the market.
In Europe, since 2010 the start-stop system have the all models
Old 07-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
It depends on the market.
In Europe, since 2010 the start-stop system have the all models
Hey, Spijun.
I was wondering is it kind of confusing of "start-stop-go" function, especially when you are sitting in traffic jam ?
tks a lot...
Old 07-15-2014, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I've seen a couple of articles saying this feature hasn't resonated with drivers in the US yet. I'm sure it's not going anywhere and will be offered on more vehicles..
How do you guys feel about the start/stop option? I think I've had it twice in rental cars and I'm definitely not used to it, so I did not like it when driving those rental cars. Besides getting used to the idea of your car dying at every signal light, are there any negatives to this start/stop technology?
Old 07-15-2014, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not a big fan of it on an auto, on a manual it works great. Vehicle doesn't turn off until you let out the clutch at a stop when you are out of gear and restarts as soon as you press the clutch in.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by alatsacto
How do you guys feel about the start/stop option? I think I've had it twice in rental cars and I'm definitely not used to it, so I did not like it when driving those rental cars. Besides getting used to the idea of your car dying at every signal light, are there any negatives to this start/stop technology?
hey, alatsacto.
it may drinks more gasoline...i tried once in traffic line just not very used to it...
makes me getting nowhere...
Old 07-15-2014, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a tendency to lift my foot just as the car comes to a stop, so the car will turn off and start right back up. Since it is my wife's car, I have not unlearned this behavior yet. I am just glad that once you turn off the stop/start system, it stays off. I drove an A4 in the UK and every time you got in and out of the car, you had to re-disable the start/stop.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by David&Niki
Hey, Spijun.
I was wondering is it kind of confusing of "start-stop-go" function, especially when you are sitting in traffic jam ?
tks a lot...
Generally not, because the purpose is exactly saves energy and reduces CO˛ emissions

It depends on several factors

The start-stop function only works when …

the driver’s door and the bonnet are closed
the driver is wearing a seat belt
the vehicle has been driven at faster than 4 km/h before stopping
the vehicle is not pulling a trailer

In some cases the engine will not be switched off, for instance when …

the engine temperature is still too low
the difference between the interior temperature and the temperature selected via the air conditioning system is still too great
the outside temperature is very high or very low
the windscreen is being de-iced
the optional parking aid or the optional park assist is activated
the battery charge is too low
the steering wheel is at a sharp angle or is being turned
reverse gear is engaged
the road is steep

The engine is started automatically by the system when …

the vehicle rolls forward
the windscreen is being de-iced
there is a large difference between the interior temperature and the temperature selected via the air conditioning system
the brake pedal has been depressed several times in succession
the battery charge is too low
power consumption is too high

Last edited by spijun; 07-15-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by alatsacto
I didn't have any issues on my TDI even when I first got it. It's nice that it'll be using zero fuel while I'm sitting (though with a diesel I'd not be using a whole lot idling anyway), no matter how long I'm there (unless the engine needs to kick back on to give more power to the A/C, anyway -- but it's usually at least able to be off for say 75% of the lights for 90+% of the time I'm sitting there).

It does give the starter and battery more of a workout since you're starting the engine a lot more than you would otherwise and the battery needs to power more stuff than normal while it's not being recharged, but they're designed with that in mind so it shouldn't be much of an issue over time.

If you're in stop-and-go traffic where you're having to stop and immediately go then stop then immediately go, then you're more likely it might trigger unless you're really precise on the braking. But you can always deactivate the system entirely for those periods and turn it back on for normal traffic. I'm not often in that sort of traffic, and haven't had any issues with the engine turning off when I wasn't okay with it, but the more often you're there the more chances you have for you to just barely press the brake pedal hard enough.

Personally I like the system and haven't had any real issues with it. It was easy to get used to, and I rarely hit the button to force it off (only in very particular situations). But of course it's "different" and some people just have a distaste for anything not working as they're used to and it takes more time to get used to it.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

In Canada, fuel consumption testing procedure has been updated for 2015 :
http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/effici...ks/buying/7491

It now includes 5 different driving cycles adding 3 to the existing ones:

- Cold Start
- Running with air conditioning
- High speed, fast acceleration

SQ5 was rated 13.2L/100 city, 8.5 highway
Now 14.9 city, 10.1 highway for the same car. Much more realistic as combined should be around 12-13 (18-19 MPG).
SQ5 Report

Last edited by Chuck2006; 07-16-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chuck2006
In Canada, fuel consumption testing procedure has been updated for 2015 :
http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/effici...ks/buying/7491

It now includes 5 different driving cycles adding 3 to the existing ones:

- Cold Start
- Running with air conditioning
- High speed, fast acceleration

SQ5 was rated 13.2L/100 city, 8.5 highway
Now 14.9 city, 10.1 highway for the same car. Much more realistic as combined should be around 12-13 (18-19 MPG).
SQ5 Report
Sounds like maybe they're taking cues from the EPA; those are the newer cycles the EPA added a number of years ago. They may or may not exactly match the procedure the EPA has specified, but at least the types match. Now we just need the European cycles to get updated to be more realistic so people have some idea of what they may actually see.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '15 SQ5 vs '14 SQ5 fuel economy