Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

10k miles interval between oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

without sounding silly tho' poking at the bees nest here ...

WHY would the Q's maintenance be scheduled for a 10K oil change IF not for then that is what is simply needed?
Changing oil every 4-5K was based on different 'quality' engines and non-synthetic oils.
If you followed the maintenance plan then have issues down the line wouldn't that fall back onto the manuf/dealership? (I know, I know, Prove it right??)

My husband and I have ALWAYS been under the thought that an oil change is 'cheap insurance' for maintaining a vehicle for a long life BUT we are under the AudiCare plan and have been following it of every 10K.

Do folks also follow that oil change intervals are also still in accordance with your driving of the Q (or any vehicle) i.e. sooner in heavy stop & go traffic vs. leisurely 'Sunday' drives?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stevedusa
Got a follow up phone call from Audi today, asking how is the car doing.

I asked the service adviser and he said honestly he'd suggest a in-the-middle change (at 5k interval) and use good oil (full syn.).

Guess that's what I'll be doing.
Now there is a big surprise , thats like asking a BMW salesman if you should buy a BMW instead of a Audi. Unless you drive in servere conditions, there is no need to change your oil every 5000 miles. Of course old habits are hard to break, people in Europe have been doing 10000+ miles oil change interval for years. Many BMW owners have tested their oil at or near 10000 miles with good results.

Last edited by The G Man; 08-04-2011 at 04:58 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:24 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Now there is a big surprise , thats like asking a BMW salesman if you should buy a BMW instead of a Audi. Unless you drive in servere conditions, there is no need to change your oil every 5000 miles.

Not true. I've seen many tests to prove it. Not to mention the 1/2 qrt loss every 5k miles that is called "normal" by every service manger and service tech I've spoke to. That means your 2.0T will be down AT LEAST 1 qrt every 10k miles.
If you're ok with that than more power to you.

I agree with Loscoz... Cheap insurance.
I have always maintained my own car and believe a $35 Fully Synthetic oil change/filter every 5k is worth it.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MOFSTEEL
Not true. I've seen many tests to prove it. Not to mention the 1/2 qrt loss every 5k miles that is called "normal" by every service manger and service tech I've spoke to. That means your 2.0T will be down AT LEAST 1 qrt every 10k miles.
If you're ok with that than more power to you.

I agree with Loscoz... Cheap insurance.
I have always maintained my own car and believe a $35 Fully Synthetic oil change/filter every 5k is worth it.
Can you show me one test that shows European spec synthetic oil that have fail before 10000 miles under normal driving condition, not severe? I believe the Audi manual describe what is consider severe condition. If you can post that test, then Audi have a law suit on their hands.
If you are losing 1/2 quart of oil, you should probably top it off.
Its $35 if you DIY, but $100 at the dealership.
I am all for cheap insurance, but unnecessary maintenance is such a waste.

Last edited by The G Man; 08-04-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Can you show me one test that shows European spec synthetic oil that have fail before 10000 miles under normal driving condition, not severe? I believe the Audi manual describe what is consider severe condition. If you can post that test, then Audi have a law suit on their hands.
If you are losing 1/2 quart of oil, you should probably top it off.
Its $35 if you DIY, but $100 at the dealership.
I am all for cheap insurance, but unnecessary maintenance is such a waste.

Can you show me a test that states the vehicle was driven "severe" or moderate? Try to tell Audi that you drive your car like an 80 yr old grandmother and your car still burns oil. Prove it.

So you're telling us that if we can prove that our Audi's burn 1/2 quart oil for every 5k driven under moderate driving conditions then we could win a lawsuit against Audi? Wow, where did you pass the bar?

Read here.
http://tinyurl.com/3hg9y52

Common issue huh? Audi says it's normal. Good luck to anyone willing to fight them on it.

Cheap insurance is planning ahead and making sure oil isn't an issue.
I call a few quarts of oil cheaper than turbo or engines problems down the road.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MOFSTEEL
Can you show me a test that states the vehicle was driven "severe" or moderate? Try to tell Audi that you drive your car like an 80 yr old grandmother and your car still burns oil. Prove it.

So you're telling us that if we can prove that our Audi's burn 1/2 quart oil for every 5k driven under moderate driving conditions then we could win a lawsuit against Audi? Wow, where did you pass the bar?

Common issue huh? Audi says it's normal. Good luck to anyone willing to fight them on it.

Cheap insurance is planning ahead and making sure oil isn't an issue.
I call a few quarts of oil cheaper than turbo or engines problems down the road.
10000 miles oil change interval have nothing to do with burning oil, I was simply stating that the oil is still good at 10000 miles under normal driving condition.
Most new engines burns oil because the piston ring is not seated right, the cylinder wall can also cause oil consumption. Sometimes when you drive your car like a grandma, it actually cause the piston rings to not seat properly. A little bit of oil consumption is normal for some turbocharged or supercharged engine and the Audi 2.0T have always had a problem with oil consumption.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Sometimes when you drive your car like a grandma, it actually cause the piston rings to not seat properly.
+1....and leads to issues down the road including high oil consumption.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

10000 miles oil change interval have nothing to do with burning oil, I was simply stating that the oil is still good at 10000 miles under normal driving condition.
Yes, especially with full synth as recommended by Audi. And with the Q5, under normal driving conditions, being at relatively low revs (e.g,. under 5K rpm), it should not be an issue.

The oil manufacturers and service dept's have you all worried!

Last edited by edwyun; 08-05-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Audi 2.0T have always had a problem with oil consumption.
+1
Old 08-05-2011, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
+1....and leads to issues down the road including high oil consumption.
I've seen all sorts of contradicting break-in period advice. I'm currently at 600 miles now - can someone please link to a valid and good break-in guide for the 2.0T engine to avoid the above mentioned problems?

Quick Reply: 10k miles interval between oil change?