Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

squealing brakes in Q5...?

Old 09-18-2014, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squealing brakes in Q5...?

We have a 2013 3.0T with the S-Line Performance Package.

From the very first miles, the brakes have been prone to squealing under light / moderate pressure. They work fine, and the sound doesn't manifest under harder pressure. But it's extremely annoying, considering the frequency that which it does happen, and the otherwise premium nature of the vehicle.

I had the Audi dealer look at the brakes when I had it in for its initial service, but they said that they were "fine" and that the noise was unfortunately simply due to the compound Audi chose for the Q5. In other words, they weren't going to do anything about it.

I searched this forum, but was surprised to not see any other obvious threads regarding squeaky factory brakes. I figured this might be a common thing with other Q5 owners.

Has anyone else gone through this with their newer model Q5?

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I also have a 2013 3.0T S-Line, same issue and same response from the dealer. It's really annoying..
Old 09-18-2014, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine make all kind of sounds too. I just do not care anymore.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you glaze the brakes when they're new, they will squeak & squeal. It occurs when they are used heavily and made very hot before they are properly broken in.
If it's too annoying, you can scratch the surface of the rotors and pads with a medium-grit sandpaper, and then use them sparingly until they are broken in properly.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SQive
If you glaze the brakes when they're new, they will squeak & squeal. It occurs when they are used heavily and made very hot before they are properly broken in.
If it's too annoying, you can scratch the surface of the rotors and pads with a medium-grit sandpaper, and then use them sparingly until they are broken in properly.
Yeah, I appreciate that idea, but I honestly don't think that's it. Even the dealership somewhat admitted that they/Audi know they were noisy, but there wasn't any recourse. I've been through way too many cars, and factory brakes in my life, and never has this happened.

Plus, I was the one (the wife drives the Q daily) to break in the brakes. So, I kind of know they were bedded properly.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Audi has no squeaks at all. On another vehicle, I had just replaced the rotors and pads and was breaking them in when I had to make an emergency stop. From that point on they squealed. After listening to them for a couple of months, I lightly turned the rotors and roughed up the surface of the pads. They didn't squeak or squeal after that.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dougnash
Yeah, I appreciate that idea, but I honestly don't think that's it. Even the dealership somewhat admitted that they/Audi know they were noisy, but there wasn't any recourse. I've been through way too many cars, and factory brakes in my life, and never has this happened.

Plus, I was the one (the wife drives the Q daily) to break in the brakes. So, I kind of know they were bedded properly.
Mine squeal on the first stop when temps are below ~50F and are fine after that, but that doesn't sound like what you have going on?

Maybe I'm more tolerant having had several cars with finicky "performance" pads over the years. Grinding, growling, whirring, howling, nasty-*** dust galore, white knuckle stops on the first stop in cold temps while raining ... I think my tolerance levels are permanently reset so that a single squeak in the morning, no dust, and still retaining excellent hot braking feels like a dream compromise to me.

That all being said, regular squealing brakes is a tough one to accept if that's really what's going on.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

2014 3.0, S-Line. No squeals.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm at 9k miles at they are starting to squeel a bit more.

But it's only during the early morning when I start my car up after sitting overnight.

They squeel at the 1st couple 4way stops when I pull out of my driveway. But after that, it's ok the rest of the day and I don't hear anything.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

doug-
Try contacting Audi-US and explaining that your dealer seems unable to fix the problem. And that you've contacted other owners, who do not have this problem, so you know it is not just "these cars are noisy". They should be able to arrange a brake inspection by another tech, or at another dealership, and they often know who has better expertise in specific systems.
If all else fails, ask them if they really want you to take the car to Sears to have this fixed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: squealing brakes in Q5...?