Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

Traffic Sign Recognition

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 12:57 PM
LIY
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rccoleman
Traffic sign recognition is supported using a camera mounted behind the rearview mirror and is not tied to a region. MobileEye is the software behind it: https://www.mobileye.com/our-technology/
Well then, if that`s the case, my question persists, can traffic sign recognition be activated on a US 2020 Q3 Prestige! And, if it can, how?
Old 12-12-2019, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LIY
Well then, if that`s the case, my question persists, can traffic sign recognition be activated on a US 2020 Q3 Prestige! And, if it can, how?
The camera is not on the Q3, as I mentioned before, it is available with HUD with speed limit detection and usually with the drivers assistance package on 2017+ models starting with the Q7.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 17A4
Ya it does, I have a 2020

Traffic Sign Recog
You are wrong, the question is not whether there is traffic light detection.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

It's confusing because it does have Traffic Light display (not recognition), that it pulls down from the internet and shows you a graphic traffic light tree and how many seconds until it changes. Traffic Light data is only in a few cities now.

Traffic Sign Recognition is not available on the Q3, so that Audi web page is incorrect (at least for the US market).
Old 12-13-2019, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LeicaNut
You are wrong, the question is not whether there is traffic light detection.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rccoleman
Traffic sign recognition is supported using a camera mounted behind the rearview mirror and is not tied to a region. MobileEye is the system behind it: https://www.mobileye.com/our-technology/
Is the video stored on board somewhere and is there any way to review the video the camera captures?
Old 08-20-2020, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I am still not clear on whether or not Traffic Sign Recognition via the front windshield camera is supported in the US version of the 2020 Q3 Prestige. I am not talking about Traffic Light Recognition requiring an Audi Connect plan.

If you visit this page on the Audi Media Center website, it suggest that traffic sign recognition using the front windshield camera is technically supported, however at the bottom of the page it also states: "The equipment, data and prices specified in this document refer to the model range offered in Germany."

So it could be an issue of the software not recognizing US traffic signs, or it could be an activation issue. Apparently this feature can be activated in Canada, according to this $719 CAD Audi instruction manual. If only I could find a similar instruction manual for the US.

If this feature is not supported for the US, then I really don't need the Audi Virtual Cockpit telling me that this "feature is currently not available". Tell me what is possible, don't tell me what I can't have. Sheesh.

Last edited by mobidutch; 08-20-2020 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks like Traffic Sign Recognition will be a 2021 feature: Audi Newsroom. I suspect it is just a software mod that could also be activated on the 2020 model. Annoying.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is a common confusion...

The Q3 does not have "Traffic Sign" recognition, i.e., speed limit signs. My A5 has it, reads the speed limit signs and shows you the current speed. The Q3 does not have the camera installed to do this.

The Q3 can have "Traffic Light" display, showing the next traffic light ahead of you, showing if it's red or green, and if it is red, a timer showing when it will turn green. This is done through the internet, and you have to have an Audi subscription to enable it.
Old 08-21-2020, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mobidutch

If this feature is not supported for the US, then I really don't need the Audi Virtual Cockpit telling me that this "feature is currently not available". Tell me what is possible, don't tell me what I can't have. Sheesh.

It's telling you that the Traffic Light display is not available, because you don't have a subscription.

Quick Reply: Traffic Sign Recognition