Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

Audi Connect - Highway Robbery (Literally)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 03:52 AM
LIY
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audi Connect - Highway Robbery (Literally)

After expiration of my "free" Audi Connect Prime/Plus in - car internet services, I inquired as to how much it would cost to keep just the Wi-Fi Hotspot functioning. (I realized that I would lose satellite maps, Amazon Music, Amazon Alexa, Audi newsfeeds, and weather - didn't care as I figured I could rely on Apple Carplay for most of these services). I need the Hotspot in my area as cellular signal is very weak and unreliable. I have had a WiFi Hotspot on my last two Audis- a 2012 A6 and a 2016 Q3 - average cost per month for internet service for these vehicles was $20.

I was shocked when Audi Connect service agent advised that the wifi Hotspot is a service buried in their "Plus" package which cannot be purchased without first paying for Audi Connect "Prime". So, I was forced to purchase Prime for $199 for six months ($499 for 18 months! ) I then had the privilege of purchasing "Plus" at $200 for one year.

I figure that I am now paying $50/month to get the same service for which I paid $20, less than seven months ago. (Along with a whole host of services for which I have no particular use). I note that similar services, also through AT&T, are available for BMW, for $15-$20 month!

I am hoping that this thread may generate a viable workaround!

I doubt that I will ever buy another Audi.

LIY

Last edited by LIY; 06-07-2020 at 04:40 AM.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

"Cellular service weak and unreliable." Isn't Plus a cellular based service from AT&T?
Old 06-07-2020, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I was shocked at how much this costs. And I have a feeling that the cost is the same for all models even though Q3 doesn’t have available some of the Audi Connect features that the other models do such as remote lock/unlock. My free subscription ends the end of this month and although I would like to continue it (I do like google earth and wireless charging) I’m not willing to pay that outrageous price!
Old 06-07-2020, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by patmurphey
"Cellular service weak and unreliable." Isn't Plus a cellular based service from AT&T?
There is probably some signal advantage to having the antenna part of the car, but yes, it still connects to AT&T for service to the car.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

This situation is well known by now and has been discussed many times in various threads. You can also find a page on audiusa.com with all the plans and the associated cost. One should really do their homework and due diligence before buying a particular car. For my last Audi, I paid $10/month for everything by adding it to my existing AT&T shared data plan. That was before Audi massively raised their pricing for Audi Connect with the current models. I agree, it's way overpriced and it was one reason I no longer drive Audis. Not the main reason, but it added to the decision. Both Mercedes and BMW include all their online services free of charge for the first 3 years. After that, one has to pay. The cost is somewhat similar at that point to Audi, but getting the first 3 years free makes a huge difference. The hotspot is separate at least for Mercedes, but because I'm already an AT&T customer I could activate the hotspot for only $10/month as an additional device on my AT&T plan. Just out of curiosity, who is your cell phone carrier? If it's AT&T, then you overpaid for Plus.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-07-2020 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Johansson
There is probably some signal advantage to having the antenna part of the car, but yes, it still connects to AT&T for service to the car.
When you use your phone with the phone box, the phone uses the cars antenna for a better signal, no need for Audi Connect.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:15 PM
LIY
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by patmurphey
Of course, Audi connect is a cellular service; but it gives me a much stronger, more reliable connection in my immediate area. Not necessarily true a I drive through larger nearby cities.

LIY
Old 06-07-2020, 12:27 PM
LIY
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
This situation is well known by now and has been discussed many times in various threads. You can also find a page on audiusa.com with all the plans and the associated cost. One should really do their homework and due diligence before buying a particular car. For my last Audi, I paid $10/month for everything by adding it to my existing AT&T shared data plan. That was before Audi massively raised their pricing for Audi Connect with the current models. I agree, it's way overpriced and it was one reason I no longer drive Audis. Not the main reason, but it added to the decision. Both Mercedes and BMW include all their online services free of charge for the first 3 years. After that, one has to pay. The cost is somewhat similar at that point to Audi, but getting the first 3 years free makes a huge difference. The hotspot is separate at least for Mercedes, but because I'm already an AT&T customer I could activate the hotspot for only $10/month as an additional device on my AT&T plan. Just out of curiosity, who is your cell phone carrier? If it's AT&T, then you overpaid for Plus.
Verizon. And frankly, Plus wasn't the problem! If anything, the structure of this Audi marketing effort is upside down - I would have happily paid 15 ,20 or 25 dollars/month for Plus to retain functionality of the Hotspot - but a $199 semiannual surcharge (for Prime) is gouging - and, in the long run, will lose Audi many customers.

LIY
Old 06-07-2020, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree it's an outrageous price.

But personally, it's not a service I need...at all.
The following users liked this post:
arvis (06-16-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by LIY
Verizon. And frankly, Plus wasn't the problem! If anything, the structure of this Audi marketing effort is upside down - I would have happily paid 15 ,20 or 25 dollars/month for Plus to retain functionality of the Hotspot - but a $199 semiannual surcharge (for Prime) is gouging - and, in the long run, will lose Audi many customers.

LIY
You can certainly look at it that way, but Connect PLUS is optional and an add-on to Connect PRIME. It's pretty clearly stated at the URL below if you look at the key info. The Wi-Fi hotspot feature is not sold standalone. Audi does currently not offer a la carte services. They've stated previously that they are considering it, but nothing has happened so far. They have moved some services from PRIME to CARE, and CARE is included with the purchase of the car. Earlier before they did that, PRIME also included the Wi-Fi hotspot with something like 3GB for the 18 months and 1GB for 6 months, and PLUS was simply a way to add additional data once you ran out of the initial allotment. But now it looks like if you want Wi-Fi you have to get PLUS. PRIME no longer comes with an allotment of data for the Wi-Fi hotspot. The plans have been like this for several years now, and apparently they must be profitable or Audi would have long restructured them.

https://www.audiusa.com/technology/i...e/audi-connect

Quick Reply: Audi Connect - Highway Robbery (Literally)