AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   Rain sensor question (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/rain-sensor-question-2856167/)

jbbarrette 10-31-2013 07:42 AM

Rain sensor question

Good day folks!
Loving my '14 Q5, PP, 3.0.....just one question, how much rain does it take on the windshield to make the rain sensor kick in? It rained a bit the other day, very lightly, but enough to cover the windshield with light drops and the wipers didn't go.
Any thoughts?

Q5 TDI 10-31-2013 07:54 AM

I was just thinking the opposite the other day - mine go one with the slightest amount of water on the windshield - maybe the sensor is adjustable in the MMI car setting somewhere?

jbbarrette 10-31-2013 07:57 AM

All I could find in the MMI is either on or off.

spijun 10-31-2013 08:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is from A4, but the same system in the Q5

Attachment 83762

jbbarrette 10-31-2013 08:53 AM

Awesome, thanks!

scrmorling 10-31-2013 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Q5 TDI (Post 24504278)
I was just thinking the opposite the other day - ?

+1. Mine turned on the other day from some overspray when the car in front of me had the windshield washer turned on and I got the smallest amount of overspray. I dialed back the sensitivity. Steve

Kobi's Q 10-31-2013 01:02 PM

After having mine for 6 months I think the sensitivity varies quite a bit between how much light is available and how that light shines on the windshield. I have found that sometimes the thing is overly sensistive and will wipe with barely anything on it and then there have been times when I thought it wasn't turned on because I could hardly see out with the amount of rain on the windshield and it had not wiped once yet. I have noticed if I manually do a wipe by moving the lever all the way down and then move it back to the rain sensor position it takes over very nicely.

j3500 10-31-2013 01:18 PM

The rain sensor sensitivity is controlled on the little toggle step switch on the top surface of the wiper setting stalk. Location "A" in the picture shown in the earlier post

josedebardi 10-31-2013 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Kobi's Q (Post 24504392)
After having mine for 6 months I think the sensitivity varies quite a bit between how much light is available and how that light shines on the windshield. I have found that sometimes the thing is overly sensistive and will wipe with barely anything on it and then there have been times when I thought it wasn't turned on because I could hardly see out with the amount of rain on the windshield and it had not wiped once yet. I have noticed if I manually do a wipe by moving the lever all the way down and then move it back to the rain sensor position it takes over very nicely.

I find I have to give a single manual wipe when first getting in the car.
I put it down to there being a film of water to start rather than drops for it to count and decide to wipe. Once there is a clear screen drops are easily counted from them on.

acadianbob 10-31-2013 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Q5 TDI (Post 24504278)
I was just thinking the opposite the other day - mine go one with the slightest amount of water on the windshield - maybe the sensor is adjustable in the MMI car setting somewhere?

Me too. Even the least sensitive setting is still too sensitive IMO.