AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   2.7T V6 Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/2-7t-v6-discussion-107/)
-   -   2.7T engine problems (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/2-7t-v6-discussion-107/2-7t-engine-problems-2685793/)

shweb 01-26-2006 01:39 PM

2.7T engine problems

I've been searching for evidence or testimonials about supposedly well-known problems with the 2.7T engine. Here's the deal:

I'm still driving my 3rd Audi, a '91 200 TQ 20v. I've had it for a long time and love it, but it's getting old (>230K miles). I've had my eyes on the A6 2.7T for some years now. However, my favorite mechanic, an excellent local Audi expert and racer and Audi loyalist to the bone, insists that the 2.7T engine is REALLY bad news. In fact, he's convinced that Audi should recall them for updates. According to him, it seems that Audi dropped the ball on the 4-valve v-block design causing seals to break down after 60K miles. He's already rebuilt 12 of these engines over the past year, all with <100K miles.

So, I'm writing to this forum to find out:

1. Anybody had similar experience with the 2.7T engine?

2. Has there been any acknowledgement from the factory on the existence and/or cause of this?

3. Any after-market cures to look out for so that, once re-built, one could be confident that it was fixed.

4. Any indication that it's inherent in the design of the engine and can't be corrected.

Honestly, I've been a die-hard Audi fan for nearly 20 years. But this shakes my confidence in the company, especially in light of the fact that they seem to be totally sweeping this under the rug.

Imolavirus@BuehnEngineering 01-26-2006 04:09 PM

tell you local audi expert/racer that the 2.7t is a 5v....not 4v

our engines are completely fine.....stock turbos aren't the best but the engines are fine, very stout actually for what kind of power a lot put through them

shweb 01-26-2006 09:36 PM

My mistake, not his...

Oops on two accounts.

First, that's my goof, not the mechanic's. Second, I should've looked into the audience a bit more thoroughly before being so...well...blunt.

But, since I already have....

Begging your pardon, I completely respect this guys opinion. And I've seen the engines being rebuilt. Hell, the crappy seals on the 2.7T have even been mentioned on this forum. And these are completely stock, family cars. Makes me wonder what you mean by "fine". Certainly not what I've grown accustomed to expect from Audi.

Generally speaking, you'd be hard pressed to find more staunch audi fanatics than either he or myself. That's what makes it so dissappointing. And that's what made me decide to address this on this forum....to try and get some unbiased perspective on this KNOWN issue. But, alas, I guess I'll have to look elsewhere :-(

ETA 4 SEC 01-27-2006 10:44 AM

Are you talking about the Head gaskets? I've never heard of this problem especially after 60K miles?

Would your buddy be talking about the 2.8 engine
and not the 2.7T?

shweb 01-28-2006 06:40 AM

No, I'm not...

...to my understanding, this is very specific to the 2.7T. I'm checking on more specific information.

Also, I don't think it's with the head gaskets, more of a seal problem and I think it's with the cam or crank. I'll repost with more specific info.

paulroad 01-30-2006 06:26 AM

Now that I've read your posts and replies..

Our engine is based on the 2.8. The cylinder bore is not quite as much to accomodate the pressure of the turbos..adding longevity with the adaptation. Its still the 5 valve design.

If you read the posts and search the archives on the c5 A6 forum and the allroad forum, I don't think you will find anyone who has had the NEED for an engine rebuild with the 2.7T.

However...there have always been cam seals and valve cover gaskets that leak, slowly. There have been turbo oil return lines that clog or leak as well. But IIRC there have been no head gasket problems. Add to this that these boards are populated by people who generally DON'T BABY their cars. We should have some blown pistons and rods.. but don't.

This is one strong engine. The turbos are a possible weak link, the gaskets are problematic and the ECU system is filled with polution control crap. But in the end its the added systems that have been known to fail.. not the motor itself.

What you post is that the "family guys" don't know didly about what they are driving. One fellow poster recalled watching an older women drive a 2.7T with the turbo lady singing...not knowing what it meant.

Another said to her husband.. "I've had this funny light glowing on the dash for 4 weeks..."

Another said to me while on line at the dealer... "What do turbos do anyway?"

So you put a high performance car in the hands of a guy who just came out of an Avalon or a Continental, or a Sable and you have the need for motor work AS THE RESULT OF NEGLECT.

The point is that the motor work your friend is doing is a SYMPTOM not the actual problem.

Drive one...then buy on and enjoy the modding life.

shweb 01-30-2006 07:36 AM

I think you might be right on....

...and "re-build" is probably the wrong term. Again, my mistake. It's probably more top-end work that he was refering to.

Still, he's been pretty adamant that there's a persistent problem. I think he's refering to cam seals, but I'm still hoping to get more specific information from him.

Like you say, it really could be that he's seeing a lot of casualties resulting from neglect by people that don't fully understand and appreciate what they're driving.

Thanks for the post. It really is encouraging for me because I'm really attracted to the idea of the larger sized A6 and the rather large array of mods for the 2.7T.

As I've indicated, I'll re-post with more specific information about his concerns as I receive it.

Thanks again,
ShWeb

paulroad 01-30-2006 09:03 AM

And if you want a 6 speed stick with the 2.7T... you have to get an allroad... :-)

shweb 01-30-2006 01:38 PM

More specific info...

...received this afternoon.

"the typical problem with the 2.7t is that the cam adjusters leak (aka cam ajuster units & cam chain tensioners). some claim that only the seals leak, but we consistently see them leak from the adjuster body. another problem with some of the 2.7t was premature failure of the waterpump causing the timing belt to slip and bend valves. we also see the camshaft seals leak."

Granted this is all top-end stuff, but it still sounds pretty scary (read: *expensive*).

Also, assuming it's given that this problem exists, once re-worked, is it truly corrected, or just set for a period of time before it all starts again?

I dunno. It scares me a little.

paulroad 01-30-2006 07:19 PM

It happens...

But we all believe in preventative maint. Timing belt replacement AND the Timing belt tensioner and the water pump. At at 80K+ depending on the car.
The cam seals front and rear are common as well. Its the price of an audi.